Pendragon - Not Of This World  CD (album) cover

NOT OF THIS WORLD

Pendragon

Hibou
3 stars If you've read some of my reviews, you've probably guessed by now that I'm sold to this band. PENDRAGON's music sways me like few others, thanks to Clive Nolan's unmistakable personal touch. And if "Not of This World" had been the band's first (or even second) effort I 'd cry out 'Genius!' at the top of my lungs. However, I'm forced to agree with some reviewers on this one: it smells a little too much of 'dj vu'. To be fair, it does have its strong moments. For one, the intro to the first track features one of the most mind-blowing guitar intros I've ever heard. In short, it promises the world (no pun intended). As the album unfolds, however, many songs seem to drag on unnecessarily.

As much as I hate to admit it, every time I hit the last part of "Dance of the Seven Veils Part 2", I invariably want to skip it and get on with the next track (this, unfortunately, also happens with a couple of others - something I never thought any PENDRAGON album would prompt me to do). Fellow reviewer Peter Rideout hit the booboo right on the nail when he said the album would have carried more impact had the band trimmed off the 'fat'. As it stands, it's still a fine CD where the musical romanticism we've come to love from PEBNDRAGON still shines through out: a 76-minute epic where all songs progress nicely and melodically, with plenty of catchy hooks and spine-tingling chords. But too many of them drag on and (sadly) are often predictable.

Todate, every new PENDRAGON release showed some upward progression, quality-wise. With "Not of This World", the band has taken a small step backwards. If you're an undaunted fan, I still think you should get this CD, if only for such fine pieces as the opener "If I Were the Wind", the 3-track suite "Not of This World" and the epic "Man of Nomadic Traits".

Hibou | 3/5 |