Dzyan - Electric Silence CD (album) cover

3 stars ELECTRIC SILENCE is (at this time) the final album released by DZYAN, but probably the first one on the minds of people passing through PA due to its stature in the Krautrock sub-genre. It's certainly Krautrock, but not Krautrock I'm used to with more emphasis on Indian and Middle East soundscapes. Agitation Free did this on their debut MALESCH, but added in their experimental hard rock sound to make a great blending of sounds. The sounds DZYAN are putting on the album sound more authentically (Mid)Eastern, but the net result of these soundscapes ends up being less engaging. I'm having incredible amounts of difficulty trying to remember what I just heard. The opener, ''Back to Where I Came From'' has great percussive backdrops and rich bass guitar, and there's that instrument that occasionally appears with its ''THWUMP'' sound, and there is the occasional Krautrock type of jam like in the title track that holds interest. After those, the album doesn't really having a great gripping ability despite the nice tonalities it gives. If you like raga music, this sounds like that genre if underwater (if that makes any sense).
Sinusoid | 3/5 |