Big Big Train - Bard CD (album) cover

BARD

Big Big Train

Marty McFly
Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars Frankly, when I saw such ratings here, I was terrified what this album would sound like. But how was I surprised to find this album actually quite interesting. Still not surpassing their later masterpiece (The Underfall Yard), but still a good one.

It's easy, take for example Avant Prog albums, when there will be 5 reviews by 5 Avant lovers, with no major voice of opposition, the result will be high rating, but it will be a flawed one. The same will be if for example Crossover album will be spammed by generic reviewers, who will all rate 5 stars and therefore harm the entire system. I believe that what happened here is that there is not enough lovers of this genre, to counterbalance those who does not digest it that much. I for one try to have an open mind, but from a look on previous two reviewers tastes, I get a feeling that they don't like Crossover so much. I do. Some of it at least.

The fact (as Prog-jester pointed out) that this music is not energic enough is mostly true (there are parts where mildly wilder music appears though), but that's not the point. I am not sure since when Prog has to be energic to be interesting, we have thousands of albums here that would not be described as such. Anthony Phillips is the name that comes in my mind when listening "Bard". That's calm, pastoral and atmospheric music and I can clearly hear how this process will culminate in 7 years in the masterpiece. Some Genesis moments as well, especially those calm acoustic parts of theirs, but without a perk that many Genesis-like bands (some call them clones) use - Gabriel-like vocals. Vocals here are fine, well, English.

4(-), some albums are criticized for not having soul or emotions. This albums has it.

And so the voice of opposition spoken again. Damn, I haven't felt more different from other reviewers in months.

Marty McFly | 4/5 |