BARD

Big Big Train Bard album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy BIG BIG TRAIN Music
Studio Album, released in 2002

1. The Last English King (5:51)
2. Broken English (14:09)
3. This Is Where We Came In (5:23)
4. Harold Rex Interfectus Est (1:03)
5. Blacksmithing (3:04)
6. Malfosse (0:54)
7. Love Is Her Thing (3:51)
8. How The Earth From This Place Has Power Over Fire (1:53)
9. A Short Visit To Earth (6:18)
10. For Winter (16:47)
11. A Long Finish (8:21)

Search BIG BIG TRAIN Bard lyrics

Search BIG BIG TRAIN Bard tabs

- Gregory Spawton / guitars, keyboards, vocals, and responsible for most of the writing
- Andy Poole / bass, some vocals
- Phil Hogg / drums and percussion
- Tony Müller / vocals, keyboards, piano
- Ian Cooper / keyboards
- Martin Read / vocals
- Jo Michaels / vocals

Treefrog Records TFCD 001

BIG BIG TRAIN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BIG BIG TRAIN Bard Music

English Boy WondersEnglish Boy Wonders
BIG BIG TRAIN - FAR SKIES DEEP TIME (EP) NEW CD US $20.30 Buy It Now 1h 6m
BIG BIG TRAIN - Make some Noise US $8.16 [1 bids]
Big Big Train - English Electric Part One (CD 2012) US $16.29 [0 bids]
BIG BIG TRAIN Far Skies Deep Time (CD,2011,MINI LP) Prog Rock US $20.50 Buy It Now 1 day
English Electric Part 2 Big Big Train Audio CD US $24.14 Buy It Now 1 day
BIG BIG TRAIN The Underfall Yard (CD) CARDBOARD SLEEVE/MINI LP/OBI US $17.90 Buy It Now 3 days
BIG BIG TRAIN - MAKE SOME NOISE EP (UK) NEW CD US $20.65 Buy It Now 3 days
BIG BIG TRAIN - UNDERFALL YARD NEW CD US $25.05 Buy It Now 3 days
BIG BIG TRAIN - UNDERFALL YARD - NEW CD US $16.94 Buy It Now 4 days
Big Big Train - English Electric Pt 2 (NEW CD) US $18.33 Buy It Now 4 days
English Electric, Pt. 1 by Big Big Train (CD, Sep-2012, Giant Electric Pea) US $10.00 Buy It Now 4 days
English Electric, Pt. 2 by Big Big Train (CD, Mar-2013, G.E.P. Records) US $10.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Big Big Train - English Electric Pt. Two CD US $20.02 Buy It Now 5 days
English Electric Pt. Two - Big Big Train New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shippin US $23.67 Buy It Now 5 days
Big Big Train - Make Some Noise Ep UK CD Single US $18.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Big Big Train - Underfall Yard CD US $21.49 Buy It Now 6 days
BIG BIG TRAIN - ENGLISH BOY WONDERS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $21.76 Buy It Now 6 days
Big Big Train - English Electric US $5.00 [0 bids]
BIG BIG TRAIN - FAR SKIES DEEP TIME - NEW CD US $12.86 Buy It Now 6 days
Big Big Train - English Boy Wonders Rmx Dig CD US $18.84 Buy It Now 6 days
Big Big Train - English Electric: Full Power CD US $24.13 Buy It Now 6 days
BIG BIG TRAIN - THE DIFFERENCE MACHINE NEW REISSUE + 1 US $16.23 Buy It Now 7 days
BIG BIG TRAIN -ENGLISH BOY WONDERS NEW 2008 REMASTER US $15.58 Buy It Now 8 days
BIG BIG TRAIN CD - ENGLISH ELECTRIC: FULL POWER (2013) - NEW UNOPENED US $24.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Big Big Train-The Underfall Yard CD NEW US $15.64 Buy It Now 9 days
Big Big Train - English Electric Pt. Two [CD New] US $15.38 Buy It Now 10 days
Big Big Train - Englsh Electric Full Power [CD New] US $21.74 Buy It Now 10 days
English Electric Part 2, Big Big Train, New Import US $16.99 Buy It Now 10 days
BIG BIG TRAIN - DIFFERENCE MACHINE - BONUS TRACK (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $25.05 Buy It Now 10 days
BIG BIG TRAIN - DIFFERENCE MACHINE [BONUS TRACK] * - NEW CD US $19.55 Buy It Now 11 days
BIG BIG TRAIN - ENGLISH ELECTRIC PART 2 NEW CD US $23.23 Buy It Now 11 days
Big Big Train - Difference Machine (2010 Reissue) [CD New] US $19.63 Buy It Now 11 days
Big Big Train CD album (CDLP) Goodbye To The Age Of Steam UK GEPCD1007 US $80.41 Buy It Now 13 days
Difference Machine (2010 Reissue) - Big Big Train New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Fre US $25.22 Buy It Now 14 days
BIG BIG TRAIN - ENGLISH ELECTRIC, PT. 2 - NEW CD US $15.94 Buy It Now 15 days
Big Big Train : English Boy Wonders CD (2008) US $15.33 Buy It Now 15 days
Big Big Train : Gathering Speed CD (2004) US $13.46 Buy It Now 15 days
BIG BIG TRAIN - ENGLISH ELECTRIC PART TWO - SEALED MARCH 2013 ELITE UK PROG US $16.72 Buy It Now 15 days
Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age Of Steam Bonus Tracks Dig CD US $21.59 Buy It Now 16 days
BIG BIG TRAIN - ENGLISH ELECTRIC, PT. 1 - NEW CD US $17.01 Buy It Now 16 days
BIG BIG TRAIN - GATHERING SPEED 2009 NEW DIGI FORMAT US $15.58 Buy It Now 18 days
Big Big Train THE UNDERFALL YARD (2009) CD Used EXCELLENT CONDITION US $19.57 Buy It Now 19 days
Big Big Train - Underfall Yard [CD New] US $15.63 Buy It Now 19 days
Gathering Speed - Big Big Train New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $25.22 Buy It Now 20 days
Far Skies Deep Time by Big Big Train (CD, Dec-2010) US $16.95 Buy It Now 20 days
English Electric, Pt. 2 by Big Big Train (CD, Mar-2013, G.E.P. Records) US $18.95 Buy It Now 20 days
Underfall Yard by Big Big Train (CD, 2009, English Electric) US $19.95 Buy It Now 20 days
Goodbye to the Age of Steam (2011 Re-issue) - Big Big Train New US $25.22 Buy It Now 23 days
BIG BIG TRAIN - GOODBYE TO THE AGE OF STEAM [BONUS TRACKS] - NEW CD US $18.25 Buy It Now 26 days
BIG BIG TRAIN - GATHERING SPEED - NEW CD US $22.21 Buy It Now 26 days
English Boy Wonders - Big Big Train New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $23.08 Buy It Now 26 days
English Electric: Full Power (import) - Big Big Train New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE US $28.59 Buy It Now 26 days
Big Big Train - Far Skies Deep Time [CD New] US $15.87 Buy It Now 26 days
Big Big Train - Gathering Speed [CD New] US $18.48 Buy It Now 26 days
Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age Of Steam (2011 Re-Issue) [CD New] US $21.23 Buy It Now 26 days
BIG BIG TRAIN-FAR SKIES DEEP TIME (EP) CD NEW US $18.23 Buy It Now 26 days
BIG BIG TRAIN - GATHERING SPEED (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $25.05 Buy It Now 27 days
BIG BIG TRAIN - GOODBYE TO THE AGE OF STEAM - BONUS TRACKS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $25.05 Buy It Now 27 days
BIG BIG TRAIN - ENGLISH ELECTRIC: FULL POWER NEW CD US $27.99 Buy It Now 27 days
Big Big Train - English Electric Pt. 2 (Music CD) US $24.52 Buy It Now 27 days
Big Big Train "Goodbye To The Age Of Steam" 2011 re-issue Sealed [early Genesis] US $16.23 Buy It Now 27 days
Big Big Train "English Boy Wonders" 2008 Sealed [ffo Marillion Porcupine Tree] US $15.41 Buy It Now 27 days
Big Big Train "The Difference Machine" 2010 re-issue Sealed [ffo Porcupine Tree] US $16.07 Buy It Now 27 days
Big Big Train "Far Skies Deep Time" 2010 EP Sealed [ffo Steve Hackett Caravan] US $14.66 Buy It Now 27 days
Big Big Train "English Electric Part Two" Sealed [XTC Spock's Beard Marillion] US $16.56 Buy It Now 27 days
Big Big Train "Gathering Speed" 2009 re-master Sealed [ffo Peter Gabriel Genesis US $15.50 Buy It Now 27 days
Big Big Train "Make Some Noise" 2013 EP Sealed [ffo Steven Wilson, Peter Gabriel US $14.60 Buy It Now 27 days
Big Big Train "The Underfall Yard" 2009 Sealed [ffo Caravan Haken Steven Wilson] US $17.53 Buy It Now 27 days
Make Some Noise Ep - Big Big Train New & Sealed CD SINGLE Free Shipping US $22.09 Buy It Now 27 days
Big Big Train-English Electric, Pt. Two CD NEW US $15.39 Buy It Now 27 days
English Electric Part One, Big Big Train, Very Good Import US $16.98 Buy It Now 27 days
Underfall Yard by Big Big Train (CD, 2009, English Electric) US $25.67 Buy It Now 28 days
Big Big Train - Far Skies Deep Time CD US $18.04 Buy It Now 29 days
Big Big Train - English Boy Wonders [CD New] US $18.83 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy BIG BIG TRAIN music online Buy BIG BIG TRAIN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BIG BIG TRAIN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BIG BIG TRAIN Bard ratings distribution

BIG BIG TRAIN Bard reviews

Review by Prog-jester
2 stars Sorry, but it's boring.

It's even more boring than some other new bands which try to play Classic Rock/AOR with obvious FLOYD influence. Hate to be a basher here, but everything in "Bard" usually goes around few relaxed chords, which fail to keep listeners attention. A psychedelia? Sorry, but there's no experimental stuff/sounds or challenging approach - even DIRE STRAITS were more energetic! I don't need any fiery breaks to enjoy the music but I also don't want to fall asleep in the middle of every track I listened to. I hope it's just a wrong album for me and BBT can do better (will try to check it out). 2 stars only because of few nice guitar solos (Guilmor's copycat) and "How the Earth..." tune.

Send comments to Prog-jester (BETA) | Report this review (#120785) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 05, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars I was not deeply impressed by their previous album but this one is far below.

Quite dull for the majority of its length (almost seventy minutes!), average vocals weak to no melodies, little great instrumental passages (except the good guitar at the end of the epic "Broken English").

My preferred track in the first half of this album is the short instrumental "Harold Rex Interfectus Est": light, elegant, skilled. But it lasts for just over one minute. And I can't say that when I listen to "Love Is Her Thing", I am submerged with emotion. Sounds as average Marillion Mark II tune (if you see what I mean).

At least, on their debut album, several long songs were really good and could hide the weaknesses of the band (which is basically song writing IMO). Unfortunately, on this "Bard", there is hardly anything as such. I already mentioned that only the closing part of "Broken English" was good (which only represent two minutes out of forteen).

But to find its equivalent during the long and boring "For Winter" is quite an exercise. Mellowish and uninspired vocals, discreet to non-existing solo breaks: the result is just a long complaint that lasts for almost seventeen minutes. Gosh!

As you might have understood, this album is not a fave of mine. Very little to remember after all. I would recommend you to skip this one. Two satrs is really a maximum rating. I have exactly the same feeling as my colleague Prog jester: boooooring. All the way through.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#267197) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 20, 2010

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars Frankly, when I saw such ratings here, I was terrified what this album would sound like. But how was I surprised to find this album actually quite interesting. Still not surpassing their later masterpiece (The Underfall Yard), but still a good one.

It's easy, take for example Avant Prog albums, when there will be 5 reviews by 5 Avant lovers, with no major voice of opposition, the result will be high rating, but it will be a flawed one. The same will be if for example Crossover album will be spammed by generic reviewers, who will all rate 5 stars and therefore harm the entire system. I believe that what happened here is that there is not enough lovers of this genre, to counterbalance those who does not digest it that much. I for one try to have an open mind, but from a look on previous two reviewers tastes, I get a feeling that they don't like Crossover so much. I do. Some of it at least.

The fact (as Prog-jester pointed out) that this music is not energic enough is mostly true (there are parts where mildly wilder music appears though), but that's not the point. I am not sure since when Prog has to be energic to be interesting, we have thousands of albums here that would not be described as such. Anthony Phillips is the name that comes in my mind when listening "Bard". That's calm, pastoral and atmospheric music and I can clearly hear how this process will culminate in 7 years in the masterpiece. Some Genesis moments as well, especially those calm acoustic parts of theirs, but without a perk that many Genesis-like bands (some call them clones) use - Gabriel-like vocals. Vocals here are fine, well, English.

4(-), some albums are criticized for not having soul or emotions. This albums has it.

And so the voice of opposition spoken again. Damn, I haven't felt more different from other reviewers in months.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#590853) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 18, 2011

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Next in their catalogue after a silence break of almost 5 years between this one named Bard from 2002 and previous one, Big Big Train comes with an album considered by many an almost a failure. I'm agree in some parts with them, because this relese is almost boring with out energy or excellent ideas that will make them big later one. Besides some 3-4 decent pieces the rest is almost mediocre but not bad, only unintresting because is to mellow most of the time without catchy up tempo parts at all.. BY far the best tracks re the first two The Last English King and Broken English with some excellent guitar parts at the end of the piece with a Floydian atmosphere, really great tune, the rest are more or less ok nothing memorable or intresting but in same time can be listened from time to time no need to be concentrated on what is going on on the album. Hardly 3 stars to this one and is the last album featuring Martin Read on vocals.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#875972) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 15, 2012

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars I have some history with BBT. They were the first band to ever send me something to review without me asking for it in the first place, the first band ever to use a review from Feedback in an ad (in fact it was just credited to RockSIG as the mag didn't even have a name back then), as well as the first band I ever managed to upset. I will never forget seeing Greg making a beeline for me to ask me what I thought of the new album, when I had already decided that I wasn't too keen..

So, I was very interested to hear what the new album was like. The band has been through quite a shift since the last one and BBT are now just the two main members Greg Spawton (guitar/keys) and Andy Poole with assorted others. I had always felt that Martin Read's vocals were something of a weak point for the band but here he is sounding at his best, and the band have moved on by also using Tony Müller (who originally joined the band as keyboard player) and female singer Jo Michaels. Add to that a more fluid dynamic style and the result is an album that while staying within the realms of their musical past is a giant leap forwards. The production is top notch and the overall effect is of a band at the top of all of their powers, instead of one that according to their web-site is seriously considering packing it in.

Big Big Train were never much of a live act, in fact I think that they have played less than twenty shows in their ten-year plus existence (I caught one of those at The Astoria, and they were much better than their confidence showed), and have relied on CD sales to keep their profile going. However, they are another act that has suffered through the downturn in the prog scene, but hopefully this album will do well enough to make them reconsider their position. This is an album full of depth and balance, well-produced and full of melody and soul that makes it an enjoyable jaunt. Nice one lads ? you owe it to yourselves to keep it going.

Originally appeared in Feedback #67, Apr 02

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#975487) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 11, 2013

3 stars 5/10 I think the main problem of the BBG in their early years is the lack of energy. Seriously, the songs tend to drag on unnecessarily, and there is no motivation for them to remain interesting, there is nothing to "hook" the listener's attention. Nevertheless Bard is a much more interest ... (read more)

Report this review (#551996) | Posted by voliveira | Monday, October 17, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Of course, it's only my opinion, but this is mine. Bard is a superb album, their 3rd of 5 in a row. What other band can boast that track record? Yes, Tony Muller's vocals can be a bit gruff, but it adds character to the overall sound. The material is subtle and requires repeated listens (like ... (read more)

Report this review (#244371) | Posted by gingernut | Monday, October 12, 2009 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Just read a few of the other reviews and I think I see a lot of what I am about to report in other peoples views. I bought this CD ages ago and I have only just got around to giving it a bit of ear-time. I hope the other efforts from this band are better because this is a very flat, lifeless a ... (read more)

Report this review (#244364) | Posted by M27Barney | Monday, October 12, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I really would've loved to have given BARD a four stars rating but, no matter how many times I listen to this album, and how hard I try to love it, it just seems to me that big big train dont want to be anything more than what they are, I know this seems harsh but they seem to have so much pot ... (read more)

Report this review (#11992) | Posted by | Wednesday, December 22, 2004 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Not anywhere near as good as Gathering Speed and a few of the songs are miles too long. The biggest problem for me - and which was dealt with on the new album - is the vocals. I think they are the weak link in this and previous albums. The vocalist does not have a decent voice and the femal ... (read more)

Report this review (#11991) | Posted by | Wednesday, September 29, 2004 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A very mellow, melancholic release this time -lots of pained lyrics about love and heartbreak and growing old -some beautiful and subtle arrangements -sometimes I feel BIG BIG TRAIN could set themselves the challenge of being a more up-beat edge band and be more adventurous or heavier or even ... (read more)

Report this review (#11990) | Posted by | Thursday, June 10, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BIG BIG TRAIN "Bard"