Peter Hammill - The Silent Corner And The Empty Stage CD (album) cover

Peter Hammill

5 stars As already pointed out by many, this is a true VdGG lost album, and one of their best at that. Unfortunately it is still somewhat overlooked here on this forum and most of my friends who are into prog do not even know it exists. The lyrical impact of "Forsaken Gardens" as well as the frantic and at the same time monumental "A louse is not a home" is really hard to top. The structure of most of the songs, especially the dissonant yet highly expressive "Modern" and again the Louse are progressive in their deepest core and the reason why I appreciate this genre so much. "Forsaken gardens" is a work of sheer beauty, musically and lyrically and a song that I have listened over and over again and have never ceased to be amazed by its elegance and significance. The only bad thing about it is the short running time. During the years this album has become an intimate friend of mine even tough I am not usually listening to music this dark.

Modern: 9/10 Wilhelmina: 8/10 The lie: 7.5/10 Forsaken Gardens: 9.5/10 Red shift: 8/10 Rubicon: 6/10 A louse is not a home: 10/10

Mexx | 5/5 |