Camel - Mirage CD (album) cover

MIRAGE

Camel

geddyleefan
4 stars For many years I kept seeing this band within the ranks of other progressive acts but never took notice. One day I was looking up some Wishbone Ash when I came across the epic track "Lady Fantasy" by Camel. From the whirling sound of keyboards to Andrew Latimer's soaring guitar solo I was hooked. I sniped a copy of the album on Amazon and it quickly became a spinning disc when I have a long shift at work.

1. Freefall - Excellent opener as the band's racous jamming brings in a tight structure not heard in the later albums. I'm happy they got it right on this album. 2. Supertwister - Very mellow yet jazzy with Latimer playing flute all over this one. Its not a while flute section like Anderson in Tull but a touch symphonic to it. Bardens layers the song with some tasty keyboard work. 3. Nimrodel - Very trippy and almost Tolkien in structure (well it is based off of Tolkien's work) Its not a loud racous jam but creative and spacey. Again Latimer's guitar work is something to be had within the band. 4. Earthrise - The band reins in something that reminds me of Caravan (funny cause Richard Sinclair would join Camel a few album later). Its a well pacing song though not heavy on guitars as it is on layers of keyboard, tight drumming and jazzy guitars & bass. 5. Lady Fantasy - What can I say ? Its a 13 minute opus for the album and it has bits and pieces of everything heard through out the album concocted into one potent song. Its split up into 3 mini suites and starts off thunderous and rolls down like a roller coaster before brewing up with a rousing closure to the album.

I would highly recommend this album to anyone interested in Camel

geddyleefan | 4/5 |