Genesis - Selling England By The Pound CD (album) cover

SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND

Genesis

shyman
5 stars If we are talking about cornerstones in symphonic rock history or in progressive rock history in general, here we have another one. We can perfectly sense that the band is on its artistical heyday, as they were with "Foxtrot" or "The Lamb lies down on Broadway"

At a first glance we don't find here nothing in particular we couldn't find in "Foxtrot". We have again a delicious set of symphonic pieces ready for us to enjoy them. It is true that although keeping the same spirit of the previous effort, they try to give a new dimension to their sound, in order to not to be so formulaic.

Although we could see this in previous albums, Tony Banks' work here is essential and it reaches probably its top of greatness in this record. A good example of this is present in "The Cinema Show" (probably, in my opinion, the best song of the album), where he provides us with delicious mellotron and piano melodies, all of them in conjuction with Hackett's and Rutherford's guitar and bass touchs. However, this is only an example. The whole record is full of them, like "After the Ordeal" or "Firth of Fifth".

Another detail I have perceived here is that this album is probably less organ-oriented than the previous one, giving more territory to the piano, specially and again flutes, violins and many other air and string instruments.

As well, Peter Gabriel gives a new narrative nature to the compositions in this record, telling evocative, and sometimes funny stories, like in "I know what I like(in your wardrobe)" or "The Battle of the Epping Forest".

Take all of this excellent musical elements and tendencies and add them Phil Collins' energetic drum playing to have a perfect result.

Then, when have another album that every progger should have or at least, take a listen for once.

shyman | 5/5 |