Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother CD (album) cover

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
5 stars I bought this album in 1972 (my first prog acquisition) and having passed 1/3 of a century here I am pleasantly making a review of it. What I mean is that time remained steady as this work is perennial, really!

The tracks:

Side A comprises only one song - and what a song! 1) Atom heart mother - the title-song is a true EPIC, a piece to be placed in the pantheon of the most important compositions of the contemporary music (ok, in 100 years ahead it'll be no more contemporary but still important). When I heard it for the first time I didn't know what to expect - I thought it could be some jazzy or experimental dull work, but it functioned like a kind of mind-cleaner; after that moment: prog-addiction forever. The song has passages that could be easily signed by any musical genius, also here and there it sounds like a dream-song and then the guitar appears to remember us that it is rock - and we rock too. A masterpiece by its own.

Side B is divided into 3 individual works and a different and unusual track. 2) If - a soft and cool song with some folky touch and a nice guitar backing. 3) Summer '68 - the song that impelled me to go the shop and buy the album. It still occupies a special room in my mind - and it is beautiful, with the piano, the choir, the singing; one of the most agreeable love songs of the entire prog universe. 4) Fat old sun - a warm and balladesque song praising our leading star and the effects it causes on us; the same good effect of this particular song. 5) Alan's psychedelic breakfast - interesting, sometimes experimental, sometimes funny, sometimes pleasant with moments of good music and some others quite dull. To be listened not frequently.

Side A: 5 stars; Side B: 4.5 stars. Total rating: 4.75 stars => 5 stars.

Atkingani | 5/5 |