Kansas - Audio-Visions CD (album) cover

AUDIO-VISIONS

Kansas

Monsterbass74
2 stars This album is like a Frosted Mini Wheat... the frosted side for the cool rocker in me and the plain wheaty side for the old "progger" in me. That's how it should be summed up... and that goes for Gentle Giant's "The Missing Piece" as well.

This was my first Kansas album. My second was the self titled.

It's obvious showing of the split in camps. Kerry Livgren as the vigilant Born Again Christian preaching for the cause while hot off the melodic proto-prog solo album "Seeds of Change" (R. J. DIO!!) and Steve Walsh as the coked up rocker trying to give them that hit and coming from his solo album: the dirty, varied, rocking "Dreamer/Schemer" ("Wait Until Tomorrow" was sweet). I wouldn't say there was animosity on this album. It's just sounds like 2 song writers crapping on vinyl without playing on each other's songs. Supertramp wasn't even this obvious.

I recommend this album purely for the 2 songs: the haunting and twisting "Don't Open Your Eyes" and the last progressive, multi soloed (xylophone/vibes included) leftover meatloaf that Kansas has ever done (until the somewhat passable and disappointing "Reunion" album) "No One Together". Everything else is either fodder, complex rock songs, flotsam and jetsam, Foreigner covers, or typical 80's "smart" rock.

Hell, at least they're not Toto.

I just think the other 8 songs are a pile of "Don'ts".

If you can do without "Don't Open You're Eyes" just get "Best of Kansas" and you'll have "No One Together". It's worth it.

Only 2 stars because it's for fans, like me, only. Truly an unimportant album.

Monsterbass74 | 2/5 |