Nick Mason - Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports CD (album) cover

Nick Mason

4 stars Essentially, this was "Nick Mason Piggybacks Most of Carla Bley's Band Onto A Major-Label Recording." It's a riot, absolutely memorable, with great Robert Wyatt vocals, twisted songs, and the most perfect parody of Philip Glass you'll ever hear. Mason acquits himself well, the band is tight and hot, Michael Mantler's trumpet playing is sublime. "Can't Get My Motor To Start" is one of the most sadistic and funniest car songs I've ever heard, right up there with The Waitresses "It's My Car." I'm not sure if it's possible to find this any more, but snatch it up if you do.
| 4/5 |