Supertramp - Supertramp CD (album) cover

SUPERTRAMP

Supertramp

Monsterbass74
4 stars Formed as a business opportunity for Davies from a bank account of a Dutch millionaire, Davies grabbed 3 more guys, trudged on, and eventually made this album. Subsequent albums followed garnering them as a Prog stalwart with a solid line-up ('74-'83), and then transitioning to becoming a smart-pop sensation. Typical infighting occurred resulting with the multi-talented Hodgeson, and then the great solid bassist Thomson, leaving. They still trudge on without them, with no signs of a reunion (Hodgeson openly shot all hopes down), due to principle (becau$e they can $$$$). The end.

I'm more into the unevenness in the production, experimentation and song writing than the over polished "we really worked this out with a producer" sort of thing that was represented in Supertramp's later, and other later Prog acts, albums (i.e. Tormato, Giant For A Day). This stands along the lines of a very varied bluesy-rock jams with some folk, acoustic ballads, pseudo jazz and acid rock tenancies. They might sound like they were searching, but they made a solid, powerful, cohesive, mostly melancholic album in the process. It could even be considered a concept album with it's bookends and underlying topic: love loss. Look at the album cover. It's a rose with a woman's face in it with huge tear in the middle of it.

Full of roaring, swirling Hammond, delicate piano, some pounding Wurlitzer 200-A, great audible bass playing, some flageotet/penny whistle, and sparse guitar. Some might argue this album as elementary. I disagree. First albums have a strong sense of vibe, like King Crimson's "Court" and Metamorfosi's "E Fu Il Sesto Giorno". It's somewhat similar in feeling.

It's a perfect addition to any Prog collection. If you want polished perfection you will not be satisfied, but looking for some psychedelic, "stoner" vibe this is a good one.

I discovered this album in '95, on cassette, in a dollar bin when I stopped smoking ganja. It was a good supplement. That sums up the initial vibe I got from the album. I loved it so much (as much as Scorpion's Acid Rock Stoner jam Lonesome Crow) I copied it on a Maxell cassette so I wouldn't lose it. Little did I know of budget CDs, imports, and Bit Torrents.

And get the surprise gem: Scorpion's Lonesome Crow, as well.

4.5 stars.