Citizen Cain - Somewhere But Yesterday CD (album) cover

Citizen Cain

2 stars I used the term "cargo cult" Genesis in my review of the first Citizen Cain album, and it still vaguely applies to the second one - the band replicate the musical approach and mannerisms of Genesis simply by parroting it rather than by demonstrating a deeper understanding of what Genesis were doing. Still, the production and compositions are somewhat better this time around, so if you are absolutely obsessed with this particular style of retro-neo-prog then you might enjoy it. I still can't reconcile myself to Cyrus' vocal approach though - in particular, he has a two minute unaccompanied monologue at the end of the title track (the section entitled A Word In Your Ear) which is absolutely tedious. (Dear lead vocalists everywhere: if your vocal skit lasts longer than thirty seconds, save it for your spoken word album.)
Warthur | 2/5 |