Pink Floyd - Ummagumma CD (album) cover

UMMAGUMMA

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

ibnacio
3 stars A quite strange set of an excellent first era repertoire live record together with an uneven studio one in which the members of this mythical band seem to be looking for new paths to explore. In their searching, not everything found is worth so the results are uneven. This added to the fact that the explorings are individually made makes of the studio album an untight piece with brilliant moments here and there but at times uninteresting.

The live album, on the other hand, is the best end for the psychedelic-era Pink Floyd with good renditions of four unquestionable classics.

Some have criticised the cover by Hipgnosis. I remember having the poster included pinned up on our bedroom wall (the album was my brother's) and for me was as obvious as Frank Zappa's sitting on the WC. A classic. The back cover may seem na´ve now with its candid exhibition of a now old fashioned equipment but in 1969 was the last word in rock technology.

Four stars for the live album and three for the studio one.

ibnacio | 3/5 |