The Doors - The Soft Parade CD (album) cover

The Doors

Proto-Prog

AtomicCrimsonRush
Symphonic Team
2 stars Orchestra anyone??

What the heck happened to The Doors on this album? Whose idea was it to include orchestrated music, and where was the dark rebellious edge that made them so endearing? Well to be fair it was really housed in one song from this album that is a treasure. Of course I am talking about 'Shaman's Blues'. You perhaps have never even heard of it but this is an amazing track, with a cool blues groove that sounds relevant and hypnotic.

Most of the other songs here are soft rock and none really stand out. I must admit I am a fan of 'Touch Me' that I think grew on me over time after seeing the movie "The Doors". Morrison does sound rather peaceful here but I missed his anger and anti-authoritarian attitude that was heard on the debut and "Strange Days".

Jim Morrison was experiencing extreme depression and alcoholism, but he was intrigued more with poetry than music so Robby Krieger has a major influence on the album. Half of the compositions are attributed to him and he even shares vocals on 'Runnin' Blue'. To be honest it is a hodge podge album with very little to offer.

AtomicCrimsonRush | 2/5 |