Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination - Edgar Allan Poe CD (album) cover

TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION - EDGAR ALLAN POE

Alan Parsons Project

Tony Fisher
4 stars This was the most successful of the APP albums and does credit to the work of a great writer. I must admit, when I first bought it, I did not expect much, since the band seemed to consist largely of members of Scottish band Pilot, who were commercial and not apparently very talented, but they do a fine job (and have since developed into very capable musicians). Two future members of Sky also contribute as well as a variety of guests and session players. Several vocalists are used including John Miles and Arthur Brown. My original vinyl copy has no narration, which I suspect is a good thing.

The first side consists of 5 short tracks, each based on a Poe short story. Highlights are The Raven and The Cask of Amontillado, where the sense of menace is conveyed in the music, but all the tracks on the first side are well worth a listen. The third track ( The Tell-tale Heart ) was sung by Arthur Brown (of Crazy World fame) and the vocals on this track stand out.

The second side is the magnum opus, complete with thunder and some fine orchestral arrangements, well integrated with the rock musicians. Pavane is particularly exquisite. The whole thing sounds like the soundtrack to a high quality horror movie. It ends with the gentle To One in Paradise.

Overall, an album well worth owning.

Tony Fisher | 4/5 |