Triumvirat - Old Loves Die Hard CD (album) cover

OLD LOVES DIE HARD

Triumvirat

presdoug
3 stars I remember with Triumvirat's Old Loves Die Hard album, their fourth studio effort, released in 1976, I first heard and bought the album in 1988, and I was overwhelmingly impressed. Jurgen Fritz's keyboard work, especially, moved mountains for me,with it's dazzling technique and real emotion. Yes, I do miss Helmut Koellen's presence in the band, but Barry Palmer as lead vocalist, and a returning Dick Frangenberg on bass, do some fine things on this record. Though I don't like Old Loves as much as their previous work, this still qualifies as a good record of their's.

Triumvirat are my favorite band, and always will be. At times, though, when I hear Old Loves Die Hard, I can't help but feel that in some ways when singer-songwriter-guitar player Helmut Koellen left the band at the end of '75, things were shaken up for Triumvirat, and they never fully recovered. On listening to OLDH, i fully realize how important and integral Koellen was to the greatness of the sound of the band, both as an instrumentalist and singer-songwriter. I guess Old Loves is one of those records that I have mixed feelings about, some positive, some not so. For example, the musicianship doesn't have the exciting bite of it's predecessor, Spartacus.

Still, i am quite impressed with the suite "A Day In My Life", where Jurgen Fritz really shines, especially in the section for solo piano, which is quite moving. Fritz's keyboard skills also come to the fore in the long side two track "Panic On 10th Avenue", which is an interesting listening experience. Sometimes, though, the bass and drum work that unites with Jurgen's keys is not quite as engaging or exciting as on previous albums.

Regarding new vocalist Barry Palmer, he is a fine singer, being emotive without overdoing it, which is nice.

Though Old Loves has some things really going for it, I do confess that it signals slightly the start of the decline in quality of Triumvirat's opus's, in terms of progressiveness.Three stars.

presdoug | 3/5 |