OLD LOVES DIE HARD

Good, but non-essential

Buy TRIUMVIRAT Music
Studio Album, released in 1976

1. I believe (7:51)
2. A day in a life (8:09)
a) Uranus' dawn (2:57)
b) Pisces at noon (3:51)
c) Panorama dusk (1:21)
3. The history of mystery (11:49)
4. A cold old worried lady (5:50)
5. Panic on 5th Avenue (10:31)
6. Old loves die hard (4:26)

Track listing of EMI remaster (2002):

1. I Believe (7:52)
2. A Day In A Life (8:14)
3. The History Of Mistery (Part One) (7:50)
4. The History Of Mistery (Part Two) (4:00)
5. A Cold Old Worried Lady (5:50)
6. Panic On Fifth Avenue (10:31)
7. Old Loves Die Hard (4:28)

Bonus:
8. Take A Break Today (3:44)

Search TRIUMVIRAT Old Loves Die Hard lyrics

Search TRIUMVIRAT Old Loves Die Hard tabs

- Hans Bathelt / Slingerland percussion
- Dick Frangenberg / Fender bass
- Jürgen Fritz / Steinway Grand piano, Hammond C3 organ, Moog synthesizers, Fender, Wurlitzer & Hohner pianos, ARP string ensemble
- Barry Palmer / lead vocals

Additional credits:

- The Cologne Children Choir on 1
- Jane Palmer / backing vocals on 7
- Charly Schlimbach / saxophones on 2
- Sondra / spoken words (money!) on 1
Strings on 5 arranged and conduced by Jürgen Fritz

LP Horzu 1C 062-29 622 (1976 Germany)
LP Capitol ST 11551 Can EMI
CD EMI Records 5351642CD (2002) (Remastered with Bonus Track)

and to Tarcisio Moura for the last updates

TRIUMVIRAT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TRIUMVIRAT Old Loves Die Hard Music

Old Loves Die HardOld Loves Die Hard
Eastworld Records 2012
Russian RouletteRussian Roulette
EMI Europe Generic 2002
Illusions On A Double Dimple LP (Vinyl Album) UK Harvest 1974Illusions On A Double Dimple LP (Vinyl Album) UK Harvest 1974
Harvest
Vinyl$35.00 (used)
TRIUMVIRAT OLD LOVES DIE HARD / NM MINT- CLEAN COPY US $79.99 Buy It Now 7h 15m
TRIUMVIRAT Spartacus 1975 US Test Pressing LP Promo GERMAN PROG US $50.00 Buy It Now 8h 28m
TRIUMVIRAT Mediterranean Tales remastered CD NEW / SEALED bonus tracks US $17.73 Buy It Now 12h 48m
TRIUMVIRAT - TAKE A BREAK TODAY - PORTUGAL 45 SINGLE US $9.99 Buy It Now 15h 43m
Triumvirat Illusions On A Double Dimple Original Import CD Out Of Print Mega RaR US $14.99 [0 bids]
Triumvirat Spartacus LP 1975 MOOG progressive rock US $25.00 Buy It Now 16h 46m
TRIUMVIRAT: Old Loves Die Hard (Rock & Pop Capitol ST-11551 Vinyl LP) US $15.00 Buy It Now 22h 19m
TRIUMVIRAT "OLD LOVES DIE HARD" GERMAN IMPORT HORZU 1C 062-29 622 INNER MINT LP US $9.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMVIRAT SPARTACUS KOREA Lp NM US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMVIRAT ILUSIONS ON A DOUBLE DIMPLE KOREA Lp NM US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
? Triumvirat - Old Loves Die Hard (Horzu C 062 29 622)-German Import US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumvirat - Spartacus 1975 LP VG+ to EX Nice sounding Capitol 1st print US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CAIRO CD OOP PRoG ELP, Rush, Kansas, Yes, Triumvirat, Enchant, Trace, Saga, IZZ US $14.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMVIRAT Illusions On A Double Dimple Vinyl LP Record US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMVIRAT Mediterranean Tales remastered CD NEW / SEALED bonus tracks US $17.20 Buy It Now 2 days
CULT OF FIRE Triumvirat + 20:11 DISSECTION WATAIN BLUT AUS NORD US $16.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Triumvirat: (Oh I'm) Late Again / Waterfall 12" US $7.25 Buy It Now 2 days
LP-Triumvirat-Sparticus ~mid 70's German heavy Prog hard rock US $14.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMVIRAT.....A LA CARTE LP US $4.99 [0 bids]
Triumvirat - Old Loves Die Hard NEW CD US $4.55 Buy It Now 2 days
TRIUMVIRAT~POMPEII ~ NM LP Recorded in Germany ~ 33 RPM # ST- 11697 US $8.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Cult Of Fire - Triumvirat TAPE death karma maniac butcher master's hammer US $16.11 [0 bids]
TRIUMVIRAT - SPARTACUS - NEAR MINT CAPITOL RECORD 1976 US $18.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Spartacus [Remaster] by Triumvirat (CD, 2002, Emi) prog rock similar to Rush CD US $3.79 [0 bids]
ORIGINAL 1977 Triumvirat 12" LP Pompeii EXCELLENT vinyl record FREE US SHIPPING US $17.98 Buy It Now 2 days
2 lp lot triumvirat spartacus old loves die hard '75 '76 oop orig vinyls rare! US $44.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Triumvirat "Mediterranean Tales" SEALED German Import Sticker 1972 Capitol EMI US $25.00 Buy It Now 2 days
TRIUMVIRAT - "Illusions On A Double Dimple" LP 1974 1st US ORIG Harvest - No UPC US $19.88 Buy It Now 3 days
TRIUMVIRAT Old Loves Die Hard CAPITOL Prog ART LP 1976 US $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Triumvirat - Illusions on a Double Dimple (1974 Harvest LP. SHSP 4030) Prog US $20.95 Buy It Now 3 days
TRIUMVIRAT - For You / Darlin 1979 BRAZIL RARE 7" 45 US $14.00 [0 bids]
Triumvirat - Pompeii [CD New] US $12.81 Buy It Now 3 days
TRIUMVIRAT old loves die hard LP VG+ 1C 062 29 622 Vinyl 1976 German Press US $9.00 Buy It Now 3 days
triumvirat - old loves die hard CD - prog US $12.43 Buy It Now 3 days
triumvirat - illusions on a double dimple CD - prog US $12.43 Buy It Now 3 days
TRIUMVIRAT Take a Break Today RARE 1976 ORIGINAL 7''/45 PS PORTUGAL KRAUT PROG US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
TRIUMVIRAT - POMPEII - BONUS TRACK (IMPORT) NEW CD US $17.41 Buy It Now 3 days
Triumvirat Sparta Cus Rare 70's Band Nearly 500 Fair Priced LP's US $3.95 [0 bids]
TRIUMVIRAT Spartacus LP 1975 VG+ US $16.99 Buy It Now 4 days
TRIUMVIRAT Illusions On A Double Dimple LP 1974 VG+ US $17.99 Buy It Now 4 days
TRIUMVIRAT Old Loves Die Hard LP 1976 VG+ GERMANY US $20.39 Buy It Now 4 days
Triumvirat - Spartacus - 1975 Harvest Records W. Germany 062-29 567 - EX- US $11.99 [0 bids]
Triumvirat - A La Carte - 1978 Harvest Records W. Germany 064-45 184 - VG+ US $11.99 [0 bids]
Triumvirat - Old Loves Die Hard - 1976 Harvest W. Germany 062-29 622 - EX- US $10.99 [0 bids]
Triumvirat - Super Very Rare CD - Brasil (Sealed) Unique US $25.00 Buy It Now 4 days
ELOY 2 CD LOT DESTINATION and RA Triumvirat Grobschnitt King Crimson US $8.72 [3 bids]
TRIUMVIRAT A La Carte LP Vinyl Jurgen Fritz Capitol Bavarian In New York Prog US $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
TRIUMVIRAT 1974 Illusions On A Double Dimple LP Vinyl Prog ST Mister Ten Percent US $12.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Album By Triumvirat, "Old Loves Die Hard" on Capitol US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Album By Triumvirat, "Spartacus" on Capitol US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
MOTOI SAKURABA What's Up? CD Kybrd PROG (ELP Ars Nova Triumvirat Deja Vu Trace) US $16.99 [0 bids]
Sixty Minutes with RICK WAKEMAN CD PROG Chaka Khan Yes Keith Emerson Triumvirat US $10.99 [0 bids]
Triumvirat Pompeii Rare Prog Rock LP Records Top Copy VG++ Rush US $7.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Triumvirat A La Carte Rare Prog Rock LP Records Top Copy VG++ Rush US $8.99 Buy It Now 4 days
TRIUMVIRAT: Pompeii (rock & pop vinyl LP) US $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
TRIUMVIRAT - SPARTACUS US $12.99 Buy It Now 4 days
TRIUMVIRAT Mediterranean Tales LP Harvest Rec. 062-29 Germ. 1972 VG++ US $15.29 Buy It Now 4 days
Triumvirat - Pompeii CD US $16.02 Buy It Now 5 days
TRIUMVIRAT(KOREA VINYL LP 12")SPARTACUS RARE harvest/prog/psych US $6.29 Buy It Now 5 days
TRIUMVIRAT factory sealed lp A LA CARTE US $13.99 Buy It Now 5 days
TRIUMVIRAT Spartacus LP 9 Track With Insert Matrix A1/b1 Seam Split To Top Edge US $18.31 Buy It Now 5 days
1974 PROG ROCK LP TRIUMVIRAT ILLUSIONS ON A DOUBLE DIMPLE HARVEST RECORDS NM US $24.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Triumvirat - Old Loves Die Hard 1976 Capitol US orig. kraut prog LP US $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
TRIUMVIRAT: A La Carte (Rock & Pop Capitol ST-11862 VG+ Vinyl LP) US $10.00 Buy It Now 6 days
TRIUMVIRAT - MEDITERRANEAN TALES (ACROSS THE WATER) [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $10.14 Buy It Now 6 days
TRIUMVIRAT Old Loves Die Hard ** orig. Germany 1976 Krautrock US $19.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Triumvirat / Illusions On A Double Dimple / 1974 Harvest German LP / EX+ US $29.02 Buy It Now 6 days
NM 1978 Triumvirat / A La Carte LP in shrink US $5.00 Buy It Now 6 days
TRIUMVIRAT Spartacus '75 LP great GERMAN prog.rock ORIGINAL US press US $6.99 Buy It Now 6 days
TRIUMVIRAT - ILLUSIONS ON A DOUBLE DIMPLE US $15.97 [0 bids]
Triumvirat - Illusions on a Double Dimple 1974 Rock vinyl record. On Harvest US $10.00 Buy It Now 6 days
TRIUMVIRAT ILLUSIONS ON A DOUBLE DIMPLE US $17.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Triumvirat - Million Dollars Mint 1970 PROMO! US $6.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Triumvirat Old Loves Die Hard 8 Track Tape TESTED US $15.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Triumvirat - Spartacus LP - Capitol - Oldies US $7.70 Buy It Now 6 days
TRIUMVIRAT Old Loves Die Hard vinyl LP EX 1976 US $6.95 Buy It Now 6 days
SPARTACUS LP TRIUMVIRAT CAPITAL US $7.99 Buy It Now 6 days
TRIUMVIRAT - TRIUMVIRAT PRESENTS POMPEII ELP Classical Prog Trio Near Mint Plus US $6.44 [0 bids]
TRIUMVIRAT VINYL a la carte LP Record FREE US SHIPPING GERMAN Ex Vinyl US $19.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Triumvirat LP Old Loves Die Hard 1976 EX/VG+ US $12.95 Buy It Now 6 days
TRIUMVIRAT Illusions On A Double Dimple LP UK 1st Press A-1/B-1 FACTORY SAMPLE US $53.22 Buy It Now 7 days
TRIUMVIRAT old loves die hard Lp RECORD US $9.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Triumvirat "Spartacus" US $8.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Triumvirat Mediterranean Tales CD NEW SEALED 2002 Digitally Remastered US $8.05 Buy It Now 7 days
TRIUMVIRAT---POMPEII US $6.00 [0 bids]
? Triumvirat - A La Carte (Capitol 11862) US $14.99 Buy It Now 7 days
TRIUMVIRAT spartacus LP Record 1975 RARE vg US $14.98 Buy It Now 7 days
FREE 2for1 OFFER-Triumvirat ?- Spartacus Label: Capitol Records ?- ST-11392/LP US $18.98 Buy It Now 8 days
Triumvirat - Illusions On A Double Dimple - French HARVEST Press 1975 LP US $12.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Triumvirat "Dimplicity" SYNTH PROG ROCK NZ PRESS 7" US $43.92 Buy It Now 8 days
Triumvirat Spartacus CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 8 days
TRIUMVIRAT Spartacus CAPITOL LP '75 OG Progressive Rock US $4.00 Buy It Now 8 days
New Triumvirat "Pompeii" Sealed New Vinyl Record US $9.98 Buy It Now 9 days
*TRIUMVIRAT MEDITERRANEAN TALES / JAPAN MINI LP CD US $34.99 Buy It Now 9 days
TRIUMVIRAT - OLD LOVES DIE HARD - DIFFERENT COVER - URUGUAY (4pics) US $30.00 Buy It Now 9 days
Triumvirat - Old Loves Die Hard ( CD 2012 ) NEW / SEALED US $4.44 Buy It Now 9 days
TRIUMVIRAT SPARTACUS ALBUM PICTURE/LYRICS INSERT, GOOD CONDITION US $2.40 Buy It Now 9 days
TRIUMVIRAT SPARTACUS 1975 VINYL RECORD US $11.04 Buy It Now 9 days
TRIUMVIRAT-MEDITERRANEAN TALES (RMST) CD NEW US $15.70 Buy It Now 9 days
TRIUMVIRAT 'OLD LOVES DIE HARD' GERMAN PROG 1976 LP / RECORD US $9.99 Buy It Now 9 days

More places to buy TRIUMVIRAT music online Buy TRIUMVIRAT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TRIUMVIRAT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TRIUMVIRAT Old Loves Die Hard ratings distribution

TRIUMVIRAT Old Loves Die Hard reviews

Review by greenback
4 stars WOW! This record is just a bit less good than Spartacus: mostly, it sounds very similar to Spartacus. The weak point on this album is Barry Palmer's lead vocals, although bearable. "I believe", sounding a bit pop, has good rhythmic piano, Fender Rodes, choir parts and some floating keyboards. The first part of the marvelous "Day in a life" has Fender Rhodes and background floating keyboards sounding like the Gary Wright's "Dream Weaver" track; the second part has a very progressive & melodic piano a la Rick Wakeman: absolutely GRAND; finally, the third part sounds like on the Spartacus album: rhythmic piano, VERY spacy moog, fast drums and bass. The epic "History of mystery part 1" starts with another excellent piano part, followed by heroic & catchy keyboards like on the Spartacus album: Hammond organ and moog; so, this tracks sounds like the best ELP of the early 70's! The excellent "History of mystery part 2", containing a killer moog solo in the beginning, is a variation on the theme present on the "History of mystery part 1" track. The simple and not very progressive "A cold old worried lady" is a good but not catchy piano oriented song, with some background orchestral arrangements: no synthesizers, no drums and no bass. The next track "Panic on 5th Avenue", sounding again like on the Spartacus album, is a pompous keyboards exploration a la ELP: TONS of Hammond organ, ultra floating moogs a bit like the Gary Wright's "Dream Weaver" track again, police sirens emulation, hammering drums, elastic bass, the track is maybe a bit repetitive, but it is very well made; the killer long & melodic moog solo at the end is absolutely OUTSTANDING! The more ordinary last track, "Old loves die hard", has a bit the same style as "A cold old worried lady", except there are drums and bass plus some discrete organ notes.

Rating: 4.5 stars

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#11848) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 18, 2004

Review by Gatot
4 stars What a memorable album. Well, I may write a novel about this excellent album. Musically, this album is not as excellent as ELP or KC or Genesis around the time of this release. However, the musical nuances created by this album remind me clearly on my teenage times when I kept on waiting everyday about "what's next" rock album available in local record store. Hey, at that time we did not know what is prog or not prog; we just loved rock music but were not aware about the prog categorization. Secondly, there was no internet and I had a (very) limited access to international music magazine like Muzik Express. So, no news about upcoming rock albums. No "pre-order: kind of thing like we have nowadays under digital era. I just wait at the record shop. Everyday! Yeah, music was my passion since childhood - no music, no life!

When this album came out, it blew me with the "The History of Mystery". I like the catchy introduction part with nice piano melody and great voice of Barry Palmer. "Give me a chance to see through my reason. Wasting my time because I was so young ." uuughh . man . this melody has been killing me everytime I play the CD. Overall track (part 1 and 2) is heavily influenced by ELP. If you like ELP, there might be two outcomes I guess would happen after first listen: you like it because it's similar in composition (even though much simpler, I would say), or you completely hate it and say "ELP ripp-offs!". Whatever your comment, my appreciation about this album stays intact. It's still an excellent album for me.

"A Cold Old Worried Lady" is not a prog (at all!) song but . it's really a great tune! Again, the harmony of Barry's vocal and Jurgen's piano touch is really top notch! It's accessible to many people.

"I Believe" is a track that my colleagues and I - who at that time claimed our-self die hard fans of rock music - use to voice outloud our passion on rock: "I sold my soul to rock'n'roll and never got it back ..". It's the opening lyric of this track. The track combines the pop, classical, jazz and sort of "prog" (that I knew later) elements. It's a simpler form of ELP music, I would say. It's an enjoyable track.

"A day in a life" is a simple instrumental piece using keyboard and piano as lead melody. Classical music influence appears strongly. "Panic on 5th Avenue" is an excellent track exploring Jurgen Fritz' similarities with Keith Emerson. It's definitely very close to ELP music. I love the solo keyboard / synthesizer during the interlude part. "Old loves die hard" concludes the album with a slow style and classical influence. Great composition, excellent melody. I think this final track is also accessible to most music buffs.

I think this album is an excellent addition to any prog collection. Highly recommended. Keep on progging! Progressively yours, GW - Indonesia.

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#11847) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Review by Tarcisio Moura
4 stars After the break up of the classic line up, original members Fritz and Bathelt called back their earliest bassist Dick Frangenberg, who had played with them live but not recorded. And, for the first time, they recruited a non german for the vocals, english vocalist Barry Palmer (of the ex teen group Kenny). So, the now foursome produced the 1976´s Old Loves Die hard.

A totally guitarless album, it was, anyway, one of their great achievements. Jürgen Fritz is in great form here, both as a musician and as a songwriter. In fact, he was maybe too proeminent on the album, which may be the reason his partnership with long time buddy Hans Bathelt would soon colapse. But whatever the pressures and tensions that may exist within the band at the time, it did not affect the musical elements of this magnificent opus.I Believe may sound a little too pop for some, but it is a great song and a good introduction of the new line up. All tunes are very good and varied, with a great piano-vocals-strings ballad on A cold Old Worried Lady (great vocals and lyrics by Palmer). And ELP fans must have loved songs like The Story Of Mystery and Panic On the 5th Avenue.

Old Loves Die Hard survived the test of time greatly. It was maybe their very last record to be a group efford and a must have for any prog fan. I was a bit sorry for the loss of Helmut Köellen, and not very sure if it deserved a 4 star rating, but every time I listen to this album I really can´t come up with nothing less than that. Highly recommended.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#115348) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 16, 2007

Review by febus
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam
3 stars SOLD MY SOUL TO ROCK n' ROLL?? COME ON!!

This is the beginning of the downfall for TRIUMVIRAT; i was not enamored wit SPARTACUS already, but this album OLD LOVES DIE HARD won't make me happier!There is excellent music on this album, for sure, even some outstanding tracks like THE HISTORY OF MYSTERY,but there are signs that the magic will reach its end soon.

First of all, we have a new line-up. HELMUT KOLLEN the bassist/singer left the band and was replaced DICK FRANGENBERG on bass who already played with the band well before the release of their first album MEDITERRANEAN TALES. But TRIUMVIRAT decided to bring on board a lead singer, a british man BARRY PALMER. Nothing wrong with that if you think that it will help you to reach a broader audience as the first 2 german singers of the band, i must admit, were of an aquired taste.

The problem is PALMER sounds so cheesy!! Just try the syrupous I BELIEVE and the no less syrupous title track OLD LOVES DIE HARD; After listening to these 2 songs, JUSTIN HAYWARD will sound to you as tortured as PETER HAMMILL! And the words follow the same path!!! ''Sold my soul to Rock n Roll''??? by TRIUMVIRAT???? come on!! This is OK if DIO or GILLAN sing that, but a lounge singer accompanied by a nice moog synth in the background selling his soul to R.R!!! doesn't sound right at all!

However the goods are still there, mostly in the instrumental parts, you guess right! JURGEN FRITZ is still a great writer of furious instrumental keyboards-led tunes that will bring every lover of bombastic prog to heaven!' Also the good thing is the instrumental tracks are the longest ones of the album like the 8'13'' A DAY IN A LIFE and the one of the best piece TRIUMVIRAT ever recorded the great 10'31'' PANIC ON 5TH AVENUE which are well worth the price of admission and help make the album a relatively pleasant experience overall.

So forget the BARRY PALMER 3 songs which are the shortest anyway and concentrate on the 3 long tracks (THE HISTORY OF MUSIC has PALMER on it, but he is OK on this one and doesn't sing too long anyway) and enjoy the melodic virtuosity of JURGEN FRITZ when he acts as a devil on his keyboards and forget to write pop songs.

Sadly, TRIUMVIRAT will turn pop, indeed, with their next releases! but, hey! 1977 was around the corner!

3 STARS!

Send comments to febus (BETA) | Report this review (#133208) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars The least that I can say is that when you have heard "I Believe" you just can hope that you won't be confronted to any more tracks like these on this record. It is absolutely AWFUL. The new singer sounds really pityful. Press next as soon as you have heard the first notes of this masquerade.

We'll get rid of him for the second song which is an instrumental and spacey keyboard oriented-song. Spacey but also classical (like you know who) : virtuosity of course but emotionless. Somewhat dull. Did you say piano bar ? The finale is very much welcome. At least it rocks alright and saves this track. But it only lasts for about a minute (the great finale, I mean) ...

We'll finally get the traditional "Triumvirat" in "The History Of Mystery". This means a song a la ELP with all its splendour : bombastic, full of moog and synthesizers. Palmer (Barry, the new "singer" from "Triumvirat" not to confounded with the other one. You know the one from...) trying to emulateGregg Lake would do. The best song so far (but it is not really difficult). The good news being that it lasts for about twelve minutes.

We'll be reverted to the same poor vocals during "A Cold Old Worried Lady". Almost intolerable. What the heck is that you need to hire a new singer if it is to get such a one ? Mystery to me. But since he will still be in the band for their next release, I guess that they felt OK with him. But I don't.

The next track "Tarkus" is ... oups ! It's not "Tarkus", just "Panic On Fifth Avenue". Anyway, this is the sort of track I like very much from "Triumvirat". Derivative, right ? But at least it is a very good number. In those times, the masters (ELP of course) didn't release anything since "Brain..." in '73 and were preparing the awful "Works" so; I pretty much prefer to listen to a piece like "Panic" which sounds really great. Drumming and keys are just splendid. My fave from this album.

To summarize, what we'll have here is two great long songs (total of over twenty-two minutes), while the other ones are rubbish (except the average "A Day In Life"). I'm going to be generous and upgrade this from a five out of ten to a three stars album. But this is only thanks to those two outstanding numbers.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#134059) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Review by CCVP
4 stars I don't know why so many people say that this is such a masterpiece of progressive rock. Really. This album is the beginning of Triumvirat's downfall towards pop music, and it is still worse than Pompeii, to me, sounding a lot like radio pop than progressive rock. Ok, ok, i must admit it, this album still got some incredible musics, like a day in a life, the history of mystery and panic on 5th avenue, but the rest it kind of boring popish music. Anyway, let me squeeze this album and try to get some goos things out of it:

I believe: here we got a nice balance between pop and prog, like in crime of the century album, from supertramp.

A Day in a Life: amazing prog like Triumvirat used to do.

The History of Mystery: just like a day in a life, amazing prog like triumvirat used to do. This music here is probably the best one of the whole album with great composing like illusions on a double dimple.

A cold old worried lady: pop ballad. Avoid it at all costs.

Panic on 5th Avenue: good music. It could be better written tho, because it looks like it is kind of raw.

Old loves die hard: not so good balance between pop and prog, looking more popish than prog, but it also worth something.

Overall evaluation: this album is surely a step towards pop (or maybe two) but it still have some good musics and is sure worth some consideration because of it.

Send comments to CCVP (BETA) | Report this review (#160252) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
4 stars For several notable moments in their decade spanning existence, Triumvirat managed to at least partially shed their ELP-clone image while still producing quality prog. Most of those moments occure on "Old Lives Die Hard", a transitional album between the complex machinations of the early 70s and the dreck which followed. Like many such bridge works, it actually turned out to be the best of the band's career.

The major change that is immediately apparent is in the vocals, with the inimitable Barry Palmer taking the spotlight, and he is introduced on the most rousing "song" in the Triumvirat lexicon, "I Believe". This one has a catchy tune, thoughtful lyrics, and, yes, great vocals. It masterfully stretches out through several phases and does not feel artificially elongated, even though it clearly is. The lack of guitars is a non issue here and throughout the album, and it is relatively rare that I can say this without reservation.

"A Day in The Life" is quite another affair, a pleasant instrumental suite showcasing the band without excess. This leads to another highlight, "The History of Mystery". While at times the ELP references are blatant, Triumvirat seems to offer a simpler approach than their heroes, and it suits the material well. For one thing, not too many ELP full-on melodies were this concise. The segway between Palmer's measured rants and the synths is marvellous as well.

"Cold Old Worried lady" takes the prog song approach of the opener and stays in ballad territory for the duration. Palmer shows he can wax mellow, and the piano flourishes by Fritz offer understated pleasures. Even his orchestral sounding keys add dignity rather than pretension.

Only "Panic on 5th Avenue" really suffers inexcusably from the clone aspect, as Triumvirat abandons the simplicity of most of the album to lanch into a full sonic attack. This was no doubt included to appease the long time fans. But the closing and title cut delivers yet another convincing ballad. The imaginative melody is a winner, and the arrangements, particular the organ accompaniment, again provide the perfect foil for Palmer.

I had originally intended to score this 3 stars but old loves really do die hard. This was a very strong album in its day and has aged pretty well. Recommended.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#162225) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Review by Queen By-Tor
3 stars A day in the life of ELP

Triumvirat's fourth studio album is apparently the start of a long fall. While the band has enjoyed some mixed success up to the release of this album, including the incredibly well received Illusions On A Double Dimple here we find an album with mixed reactions to it. While this may come from many factors (including an extreme stripping down of line-up) it's clear that while this album is wholesomely enjoyable, it may be the last of that kind from this band. What we have here is an album reflecting of the times and the kind of prog that people wanted to hear. With prog Leviathan Emerson, Lake and Palmer still slumbering after their landmark album, Brain Salad Surgery, there had to be something to fill the gap of hammonds and moogs being played in an overly pomp and grandiose manner. Enter Old Loves Die Hard, an album whose songs could easily be pulled from the outtake sessions of the previously mentioned ELP masterwork.

The album contains just about everything that ELP was well known for. While the vocals on this album are certainly a lot more grating than that of Greg Lake's, the organ and keyboard work is certainly reminiscent to that of Keith Emerson's. Fast solos and futuristic sound effects mix in at times over top of grand arrangements and sometimes vocals. There's long tunes and suites to be heard as well as a nice assortment of bombastic instrumentals. The lyrics are a lot more down to Earth than that of ELP's, and they're missing the obligatory hoe-down song and the obligatory rework of a classical arrangement, but the keyboards are more than enough to make you feel like you're listening to another ELP album.

Although with this line-up of musicians they really could have stuck to instrumental music. There's only a handful of tracks that actually contain vocals on this album, but they really stick out, and not always in a great way. I Believe opens the album in a decidedly non-ELP fashion in that it's a very subtle track which does become annoying when the schoolchildren start singing in chorus behind a voice which doesn't really help to support it. The title track which also closes the album is a little bit more active, but ultimately forgettable in context of the album. A Cold Old Worried Lady is likely the best track to contain vocals on the album with its rather haunting lyrics and slow and subtle instrumentation. The vocals here actually work and come off as rather emotive.

Where the band excels, though, is with the instrumentals and the epic tracks. The History Of Mystery (part I and II) is likely the definitive standout of the album, even if it feels like it was cut strait out of Karn Evil 9, but this is where the musicianship of the band is at it's top and, ELP sounding or not, the melodies and mood of this song really work. Panic On 5th Avenue is the lengthiest single track on the album and leave a good impression as a heavy and impressive instrumental, as does A Day In The Life

This album really is good for people who like the style of ELP and don't mind if another band sounds a lot like them. Those who don't care for ELP or who think that they can't be impersonated should stay far, far away from this band, though. In the end it may not be the most original material on Earth, but it certainly has some great and memorable moments that makes it worth a good deal of spins in the end. 3 cold, old worried ladies 5 for a good album.

Send comments to Queen By-Tor (BETA) | Report this review (#187195) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 27, 2008

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars Old Loves Die Hard is perhaps very aptly titled as it generally gets way less appreciation than previous Triumvirat recordings Spartacus or Illusions on a Double Dimple. Yet, listening to this without prejudice, there is much to like here, maybe even more than some would admit, firstly with the vocals of Barry Palmer it becomes immediately apparent that the man has some serious lungs, unjustly lambasted later by some unforgiving critics for his REO Speedwagon-ish timbre! Dick Frangenberg on bass is also a slight upgrade but the solid drums of Hans Bathelt and Jürgen Fritz' deft wizardry are both more then up front and center, they shine. The 7 pieces here are cohesive, well-crafted songs that can stand on their own. "I Believe" is a fine example of Triumvirat's obvious qualities, a simple melody taken to symphonic heights with spirited and inspired arrangements, fabulous vocal dexterity combined by charismatic piano, organ and synth playing from the master himself. The 3 part "A Day in the Life" suite begins by sedately weaving a quirky little melody along unsuspectingly morphing into a melancholic romp that puts the spotlight on Fritz's unshakable "maitrise" on piano, his heroic fingers dazzling the ivories with resilient panache, romanticism at its musical best, the third part exploding into a symphonic Moog-fest, a stunning piece of classic prog-rock. Does it get better? The answer is a definite Yes! "The History of Mystery" Parts 1 and 2 are probably some of the finest music ever put down on tape by these German titans. The main melody is one immense hook, full of blustering pomp mixed with a flurry of expression, some magic melancholia, a dash of brazen bravado, a little playfulness and lots of lustful zeal. The theme is revisited repeatedly introducing intricate synths blaring, bossy organs aglow, zipping along at furious a pace, Palmer singing with passion and exaltation. Part 2 is a bold excuse for Fritz to show off his grandiloquent Moog skills, of which he has enough in spades. "A Cold Old Worried Lady" is essentially a vocal/piano duet of infinite splendor, vivid orchestrations adding to the overall fragility of the arrangement, almost like a proggy version of Elton John. "Panic on 5th Avenue" is the longest track here, a 10 minute plus prog meisterwerk, sirens blaring uncontrolled while the Hammond destroys everything in its bellicose way, the bass and drums hammering away pitilessly. This is where the Mannschaft gets to show its instrumental mettle, Fritz in particularly Kaiserly form, ruling over his multiple keyboard arsenal like a deranged madman, evoking images of Emersonian fury, Bathelt banging away with appropriate aplomb, the bald-faced bass rolling along like a steamroller . Even the organ goes "wow" on a few occasions, simply amazing music. Imagine a five minute synthesizer solo that is never overindulgent, boring or overtly technical, in fact it remains creative, even melodic throughout. The title track closes off the proceedings, a stirring soulful lament, expertly sung and brilliantly played, a true mix of classical symphonic prog with a massive dose of feeling. This unjustly underrated album is as seductive as the 2 better known icons but it has a mature cachet that is undeniable. 4.5 pretzels (Old Loves Die Hard!)

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#197435) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars rounded up to the upper star

Fifth album I believe from the German answer to ELP, and one I can't figure out whether it was a spoof or they actually meant it. Nevermind for a second that this band did hazve the good moment of success (especially in the States), I can't think of a band that so clumsily collections all of the pompous prog clichés better (not even remaining a threesome) than they did. The catastrophic addition of vocalist Barry Palmer (I did NOT invent this, THEY did! ;o)p))) make them sound like some kind of Steve Perry- era Journey, although we'd probably have loved the latter to play this kind of stuff during their heydays. This one came with a different Mouse artwork in the States than this Gothic

Past the ultra laughable and overlong I Believe, where the lyrics are bad enough, but the interpretation is just so overdone that it gets surreal, the mini-suite A Day In The Life (I think they tried to pull a diversion here ;o)) is commanding a minimum of respect as keyboardist Jurgen Fritz is quite capable of flawless execution, despite lack if taste. One of the reason why I'm having trouble taking this very seriously is the two-part History Of Mystery (spread on both sides of the vinyl at that) with all the clichés and some either obtuse or intentionally confused lyrics (was there a need to mention the furher?), some tacky and cheesy synths sounds, furthermore dragging out almost 12 minutes, making the second part totalled unwelcome. Minus a full start for this blunder.

Another laughing point is the Palmer written Cold Old Worried Lady, where you'd have expected Palmer to write better English lyrics than his German colleagues, but the old lady probably died laughing than frozen. The 10-mins+Panic On 5th Avenue is actually a credible piece of instrumental bravado that would stand on its own if it wasn't soooooo Emerson-sounding... (I'm NOT doing this!!! THEY are!! :-(. Anyway nice piece of bravado outside its derivative nature. I'll skip over the title track, as I don't think I can remain polite about this kind of track, even if I managed to in my Journey reviews - well they seemed to have passed over my buddy Bob's approval.

The Cd reissue comes with a non-album single of the times, Take A Break Today, which was backed a another non-album track The Control Of Power, not included here (no idea why). Well the bonus track not only sticks out sonically like a sore thumb, but it's bound to give you another good frozen laugh, wondering inside it they did this for real or not, you'd wished they stopped, now!! Maybe that's why the other track is not included. Best avoided past two good but derivative instrumental tracks.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#200905) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
4 stars Even an experienced hunter may miss the prey

Since 1976 when I received a 90 minutes cassette with "Illusions on a Double Dimple" on side A and "Spartacus" on side B, I've been a fanatic of TRIUMVIRAT, not only because of the incredible talent and skills of Jürgen Fritz, but for the sound of the whole band and the hallucinating arrangements. But after the Helmut Köllen left the band, the average "Pompeii" and the disastrous "A La Carte", lost he interest and never had the will to listen "Old Love Dies Hard", mainly because of Barry Palmer's voice, doesn't matter the strong accent, the late Köllen was a stronger singer.

So the years passed and a few weeks ago during one of my usual CD safaris, found a very cheap copy of "Old Love Dies Hard" that the guy in the store was never ale to sell, after a short deal, I agreed to pay 3 bucks, took it to my house and placed it on the TRIUMVIRAT section of my collection, until past Monday when I took it to the car and placed it on the CD player....God, what a surprise!

Won't say it's in the level of "Illusions" or "Spartacus", but it's an excellent album that I missed for some decades due to a prejudice against the post trio formation of the band. The first surprise is the fact the album is absolutely guitarless (Well Köllen wasn't mainly a guitar player neither), but this lack of guitar enhances the listening experience of Fritz as a virtuoso keyboardist, specially with the piano where his technique is impeccable.

It's also important to notice that the original bassist Dick Frangenberg (Was replaced By Hans Pape before recording "Mediterranean Tales") is back, and the guy gave the size, because his performance is solid, as if he had never left the band. About Hans Bathelt is not necessary to talk, being that his style is part of the band since the start and is the only one capable to complement the style of Fritz.

The album starts with "I Believe", a well elaborate ballad in which Jürgen Fritz shows his skills with the Moog but mainly with the piano, changing the usually pompous atmosphere of the band for a more pristine sound that reminds of the softer tracks of "Spartacus" .

As I said before, Palmer's voice is not my cup of tea, but neither is annoying, and when Fritz does the backing vocals the sound is very pleasant, and if we add the perfect arrangements and the nice choirs, all the band sounds well, not brilliant by way above the average.

"A Day in Live" is another soft correct track in which again the arrangements make it sound much better, Bathelt (usually compared with Carl Palmer), achieves something that the great ELP drummer never could, to keep perfect timing, maybe needs more strength to play in band that keeps working as a Power Trio (Barry Palmer only sings so they are essentially a trio), but his technique makes any minor problem vanish. But the fascinating characteristic of this track is the clear and perfect piano, Fritz avoids using complex synthesizers to give an image of clarity and clean sound.

"The History of Mystery" (Talking about the whole track, because the division between parts 1 and 2 is only product of the limits of vinyl format) starts soft and melodic as the precious tracks, but after a short piano and vocals passage, TRIUMVIRAT takes us back in time to 1973, performing a pompous and brilliant track in the vein of "Illusions on a Double Dimple", as 4 years before Jürgen Fritz picks the heavy artillery and gives a lesson of versatility with each and every keyboard instrument he has on hand, demonstrating he hasn't lost the touch with the mighty Moog, while Frangenberg and Bathelt manage to follow his lead with the usual dexterity.

The track is anything but predictable, the changes are so radical that the casual listener doesn't know what to expect, the vocals enter when nobody could imagine and vanish as soon as he appeared to leave the keyboards reign, yes, they still remind of ELP, but in my opinion they are better most of the time, a fantastic song and a highlight of the album.

After a powerful epic as "The History of Mystery" a relief is required, and "A Cold Old Worried Lady" provides it, strangely in this beautiful melodic song Barry Palmer sounds great, his vocal ability sounds beyond his usual range and the band doesn't leave him along complementing him in every moment, not as vibrant ads the previous ones but still a solid song.

But anybody who knows TRIUMVIRAT must be sure that thee calm doesn't last forever, "Panic in the Fifth Avenue" is frenetic from start to end, as in their best era, the band doesn't rest for an instant, providing a breathtaking instrumental with memorable Hammond and Moog performances with a rhythm section that keeps the feet of the band solid in the ground and allowing maestro Fritz to wander wherever he wants, 10 minutes of pure Progressive Rock.

"Old Love Dies Hard" ends with the title song, which provides a softer closure to the album with excellent vocal performances by all the members and pristine clear arrangements.

As I said when starting this review, don't believe this album is in the level of "Illusions" and "Spartacus", but lets be honest, hardly any album is in that level, if I had only listened "Old Love Dies Hard", I'm sure would still consider THE RAT an icon of Prog and one of the best German bands ever.

Can't rate the album with less that 4 stars because it's an excellent addition to any Prog collection, a gem that I left behind for three decades due to an absurd prejudice.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#241803) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 28, 2009

Review by Cesar Inca
3 stars With the departure of Helmut Köllen and the coming of two different people on the singing and bass playing roles, Triumvirat was ready to move on through its second musical chapter. It is evident from the writing credits printed in the album that Jürgen Fritz was becoming the absolute master of the band's direction, which specifically translated into a trend of sophisticated melodic rock that was, naturally, keyboard-centered. In some ways, the sonic strategy delivered in this album is a continuation of the musical results displayed in the successful "Spartacus" concept album, but there are also clear signs of transformation from core symphonic prog to melodic rock with progressive tendencies. Well, to speak in PA language, the band was becoming more crossover and less essentially symphonic. I guess that there was much of the "sign of the times" factor influencing Fritz's artistic mind, but you can also tell that drummer Bathelt was letting go of the sort of energy and muscle that he had delivered in all previous albums as a source of architecture for Fritz's compositions. While the tapestry of keyboards and the powerful tenor timber of Barry Palmer were, indeed, vehicles for the manifestation of exquisite progressive environments, the rhythm section falls a bit short at it because of Bathelt (no way to blame Dick Frangenberg, whose precision is always made evident). All in all, the ballads 'A cold old worried lady' and 'Old loves die hard' are symptoms of the band's transformation. While they present pretty ideas and progressively stylish ornaments, they also sound like forgotten pieces from Elton John's "Captain Fantastic" or Jesus Christ Superstar's OST: not bad albums at all, but definitely far from that special greatness that Fritz & co. used to instill to the softer tracks from any of the previous albums. More accomplished is the inspired opener, 'I believe', a manifestation of the symphonic grandeur that the band still had in store for the listener. The string synth orchestrations and electric piano flourishes really state the foundation of this track's greatness. The instrumental 'A day in a life' is even bigger regarding the progressive merits: part 1 is eerie, part 2 is reflective and part 3 is enthusiastic (maybe it should have been a bit longer, just a bit?). The album's suite 'The history of mystery' is abundantly akin to the spirit of "Spartacus", and that includes the subtle references to ELP's "Trilogy" and "Brain" albums: now it is not the Hammond organ, but the piano which incarnates the medium for Fritz's Emersonian exorcisms. 'Panic on 5th Avenue' completes the progressive factor in the shape of a psychedelic jam alternated with passages of architectonical orchestrations: once more, the irresistible (not so ever-present anymore) ELP factor emerges as a big source of inspiration. So, as a conclusion, I grant 3.3 stars to this album, the last consistent release by Triumvirat.

Send comments to Cesar Inca (BETA) | Report this review (#299970) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Review by lor68
3 stars Well, you know that usually I don't like the so called "derivative prog bands" (think of Pendragon as Marillion's or Camel's clones since the early eighties, Pentwater as a reply to Yes in late sixties/early seventies, then also these "Triumvirat" in the seventies, a derivative band a-la ELP, whose music fortunately was more focused on their songwriting, despite They reached their peek with "Spartacus" only)...but apart from my introduction above, I think of this "Old Loves..." as a good and more "commercial" album, characterized by a vocalist- Barry Palmer-in a kind of trouble in his role, even though He's well coordinated by Jürgen Fritz here, true master mind of the band, which brings about a mood a-la Rick Wakeman regarding the melody and a-la K. Emerson (in a more simple way) regarding the harmony, like within "Panic on 5th Avenue"; while for instance "History of Mystery" is a weak episode, reminding me of the atmosphere inside "Love Beach" by ELP, that I don't like very much...and on the same wave there's "I Believe" (the opener), the most commercial track of the present album, which seems to be quite "journeysque" (unfortunately without Steve Perry on vocals); but the lyrics are quite good after all!! Instead the arrangement regarding the ballad ""A Day In the Life" is reminiscent of a mood which was quite typical in late seventies, even though the piano is evolving towards a more original melody at the piano...Then I have some doubts about the lyrics of "A Cold Old Worried Lady", in my opinion not so inspiring (like Palmer's vocals), as well as about the final title track, which is neither powerful nor so epic, but here the vocalist performs a better job- in a soft style- and such feature could be enough to make their work more suitable for the lovers of other different and more simple music genres (actually this German Band never rechead a commercial success, but nevermind...)

Interesting product, not their best one in my opinion!

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#514240) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 04, 2011

Review by Warthur
2 stars Undergoing a lineup change and expanding to a four-piece with the addition of lead singer Barry Palmer, Triumvirat's Old Loves Die Hard tones down the Emerson, Lake and Palmer influence - and indeed scales back the full-on symphonic prog on all but a few tracks, yielding an album which is a curious blend of symphonic and symphonic-light art rock. Barry Palmer's vocals don't really add very much to the equation, by my reckoning, and I think it would be hard to argue that the instrumental backing here is as interesting as on any of the preceding three Triumvirat albums. As others have said, this album marks the start of the decline.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#549819) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 13, 2011

Review by Neu!mann
3 stars German synth wizard and Keith Emerson wannabe Jürgen Fritz had one foot on a bar of soap while recording this follow-up to his popular "Spartacus" album. The recruitment of British pop singer Barry Palmer, hired through a Melody Maker advertisement after the departure of Helmut Köllen, quickly undermined the original dynamic of the classic keyboard trio. Palmer's radio-friendly voice never meshed well with the band's higher (i.e. proggier) aspirations, and his AOR smoothness only greased the floor beneath a composer already looking for commercial salvation.

But don't blame the new guy for such an inconsistent change of pace. The revamped line-up was only one part of a deliberate bid by Fritz to simplify the Triumvirat sound and balance the band's deeper European heritage with a more shallow mainstream style. The richness of the former is evident in the albums stately opening notes; the compromise of the latter can be heard as soon as Palmer opens his mouth, unconsciously summing up the future of his adopted band in one ominous cliché: "I sold my soul to rock 'n' roll / I never got it back..."

More than enough traces of genuine Prog Rock vitality remained to make the album certainly worthwhile, with at least two highlights equaling anything the band did before: "Panic on 5th Avenue", and the mini-trilogy "A Day in a Life" (both entirely instrumental, please note). "The History of Mystery", originally split over two sides of vinyl, has some attractive grand piano as well, plus a few too many stylistic nods to ELP's "Karn Evil 9". But the bulk of the album ("A Cold Old Worried Lady"; the chorus of "I Believe"; and even the title track) was closer to Elton John than Keith Emerson, hardly recommending it to discriminating listeners.

Curiously, the European LP presented the music "in deepest sympathy", the words written on the back cover in mock-gothic script (but not a reference to the accidental death of old comrade Helmut Köllen, still a year away). The alternate artwork on the U.S. edition depicted the mascot rat, trapped in a corner, and both versions pretty much summed up the band's position in 1976. As any ardent Proghead will tell you, old loves do indeed die hard. This particular flame may not have expired yet, but (paraphrasing Frank Zappa) she was starting to smell a bit funny.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#911276) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 08, 2013

3 stars I don't think I was too shocked Old Loves Die Hard never really reached the heights of Spartacus. Late '70s pop tendencies that would totally take over Triumvirat within two albums was already starting to rear its head here. Helmut Kollen left to pursue a solo career, unfortunately he never lived ... (read more)

Report this review (#1176054) | Posted by Progfan97402 | Saturday, May 17, 2014 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I remember with Triumvirat's Old Loves Die Hard album, their fourth studio effort, released in 1976, I first heard and bought the album in 1988, and I was overwhelmingly impressed. Jurgen Fritz's keyboard work, especially, moved mountains for me,with it's dazzling technique and real e ... (read more)

Report this review (#627071) | Posted by presdoug | Sunday, February 05, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Cheese fondue sets was the must have item some years ago. It still is a must-have item for all true prog rock fans and the large majority of the PA fraternity got their highest wishes fulfilled when they found their cheese fondue sets under this year's glitteratzy Christmas tree. A prog rock p ... (read more)

Report this review (#599754) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Friday, December 30, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars In my opinion Triumvirat made two real prog masterpieces during the 70's: Spartacus and Illusion on a Double Dimple, both previous to Old Loves. And even when their career declines after these album Triumvirat is one of the most interesting prog bands of the 70's. Many people compares Triumvrat ... (read more)

Report this review (#143222) | Posted by progadicto | Tuesday, October 09, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Any true keyboard freak will assign 5 stars to all the first 5 'T-Rat' albums. This is a bittersweet collection of songs that successfully mirrors life. Also, I find those who profess love for 'ELP' and hatred of 'T-Rat' to be an "Endless Enigma". ... (read more)

Report this review (#11849) | Posted by | Saturday, May 28, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I'm not a huge T-rat fan, but to me this is where Fritz's personnality shows the best. Both Spartacus and Illusions on a double dimple are good, but I can never tell which is my favorite. Old Loves Die Hard has the beautiful piano work of Fritz, and he lets himself go at it. A Day in a Life ... (read more)

Report this review (#11846) | Posted by | Friday, June 25, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TRIUMVIRAT "Old Loves Die Hard"