Anathema - Eternity CD (album) cover

Experimental/Post Metal

3 stars Of all the bands in the "Peaceville Three" of Anathema, My Dying Bride, and Paradise Lost - pioneers of both a death/doom hybrid sound and, later, gothic metal - Anathema are by far the group who have drifted the furthest from their original metal sound. On Eternity they play an intriguing blend of doomy gothic metal with gothy indie rock which puts me in mind of The Chameleons - in particular, Vincent Cavanaugh's lead vocals put me in mind of the vocals of Mark Burgess of Chameleons fame, and both bands tend towards a similar "wall of guitars" sound. From here on in the Pink Floydisms which would come to dominate their music would only become more prominent, so I guess here's where you decide whether you're done with Anathema or in it for the long haul. Personally, I find the whole thing just a little too bland for my tastes.
Warthur | 3/5 |