ETERNITY

Studio Album, released in 1996

1. Sentient (2:59)
2. Angelica (5:51)
3. The beloved (4:44)
4. Eternity part I (5:35)
5. Eternity part II (3:12)
6. Hope (5:55)
7. Suicide veil (5:11)
8. Radiance (5:52)
9. Far away (5:30)
10. Eternity part III (4:44)
11. Cries on the wind (5:01)
12. Ascension (3:21)

Bonus tracks on 2003 Peaceville Records CDVILED64
13. Far away (acoustic) (5:23)
14. Eternity (part 3) (acoustic) (5:08)
15. Angelica (live) (6:52)

Search ANATHEMA Eternity lyrics

Search ANATHEMA Eternity tabs

- Vincent Cavanagh / vocals & guitars
- Daniel Cavanagh / guitar
- Duncan Patterson / bass
- John Douglas/ drums & percussion

CD Peaceville Records (1996)
Peaceville Records CDVILED64 (2003)

and to easy livin for the last updates

ANATHEMA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ANATHEMA Eternity Music

KSCOPE 2011
Silent EnigmaSilent Enigma
Snapper Import 2013
Vinyl$37.43
Antimatter-Lights Out RARE CD Anathema Member "Ambiente Metal" US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 33m
PARADISE LOST Draconian Times - 2CD LONG BOX 1995 - OOP Opeth Anathema Katatonia US $39.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m
ANTIMATTER Alternative Matter Digipak 2x CD Prophecy ÍON ANATHEMA US $17.90 Buy It Now 3h 45m
Anathema "We're Here Because We're Here" 2010 Sealed [Porcupine Tree KSCOPE145] US $16.53 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Anathema "Falling Deeper" 2011 Sealed Digibook US $16.53 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Anathema "Hindsight" 2008 Sealed US $13.27 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Anathema "Universal" 2013 cd/dvd Digibook Sealed US $19.09 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Anathema "Universal" BluRay 2013 Sealed [KSCOPE518] US $18.03 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Gazpacho "London" 2011 2cd Sealed (like Marillion, Anathema, Nosound) US $16.60 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Anathema-Untouchable (rare pic disc vinyl) Record Store Day SEALED US $24.99 Buy It Now 6h 22m
ANATHEMA THE SILENT ENIGMA SPECIAL UKR. EDITION ODYSSEY DOOM METAL US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 4m
Venom Tribute Kreator Sodom Anathema paradise Lost Voivod Skyclad US $9.99 [0 bids]
Anathema-Serenades cd Anathema-Serenades + Extra Tracks US $14.99 [0 bids]
THE GARDNERZ - The System Of Nature LP - MINT - Doom Death Anathema US $11.63 [0 bids]
CELESTIAL SEASON - Forever Scarlet Passion LP - MINT - Doom Death Anathema US $16.61 [0 bids]
VA "City of Thorns" LP OOP SLA Cardinal Sin NRA Anathema Wermacht Skate Drunx US $24.99 Buy It Now 13h 8m
fragile hollow - effete mind, saturnus anathema katatonia tiamat to die for him US $5.99 [0 bids]
PARADISE LOST PRINTED PATCH MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA KATATONIA MOONSPELL CEMETARY US $4.00 Buy It Now 17h 31m
A Natural Disaster by Anathema (CD, Feb-2004, Koch (USA)) ORG US $20.79 Buy It Now 17h 48m
ANATHEMA**HINDSIGHT (GATEFOLD/HEAVYWEIGHT)**2 VINYL SET US $25.50 Buy It Now 18h 14m
ANATHEMA -DISTANT SATELLITES-JAPAN CD BLU-RAY AUDIO Ltd/Ed I98 zd US $44.99 Buy It Now 18h 36m
ANATHEMA "THEY DIE / CRESTFALLEN" 7"EP. Cat.WIHU9205 LIMITED FIRST EDITION US $65.00 [0 bids]
Anathema - The Silent enigma - Tape US $8.00 Buy It Now 19h 12m
Anathema - Alternative 4 - Tape US $8.00 Buy It Now 19h 12m
PARADISE LOST Gothic LP ORG UK First Press MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA MOONSPELL US $39.90 [1 bids]
DRACONIAN - RARE LIVE IN TEL AVIV FLYER 2009 ANATHEMA MY DYING BRIDE US $9.99 Buy It Now 21h 49m
Antimatter "Lights Out" RARE CD Anathema Goth Gothic Rock Metal Ambient Ambiant US $9.99 Buy It Now 22h 7m
Opeth/Therion/Paradise Lost/Anathema/Autopsy/Katatonia -Peaceville Classic Cuts US $4.00 Buy It Now 22h 36m
TIAMAT Clouds era logo patch anathema my dying bride dark tranquility dawn US $6.00 Buy It Now 22h 36m
ANATHEMA - UNIVERSAL: A CONCERT FILM BY LASSE HOILE - NEW CD BOXSET US $14.32 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema Serenades [2003] [Digipak] [Limited] (CD, Jul-2003, Peaceville Re... US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA WE'RE HERE BECAUSE WE'RE HERE SEALED CD NEW 2012 US $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
DAWN OF ASHES - ANATHEMA * - NEW CD US $10.24 Buy It Now 1 day
ALAS Absolute Purity (ORG 2001 Hammerheart) anathema my dying bride hate eternal US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DOOMED 2012 In My Own Abyss CD Doom Death Ophis Morgion Anathema My Shameful MDB US $13.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA - ALTERNATIVE 4 (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.75 Buy It Now 1 day
GUEHENOM RARE CD CANDLEMASS ANATHEMA PARADISE LOST MOONBLOOD CATHEDRAL DOWN US $18.00 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA - RESONANCE 2 (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.75 Buy It Now 1 day
Alternative 4 [Bonus Tracks] [Digipak] by Anathema (CD, May-2004,... US $9.10 Buy It Now 1 day
V.A. Classic Prog Mag. Present Little Fluffy Clouds W/ IQ, Anathema,Tiles US $4.95 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA -DISTANT SATELLITES-JAPAN CD F30 US $28.50 Buy It Now 1 day
ALTERNATIVE 4 The Brink Deluxe CD DVD Prophecy Patterson ÍON ANATHEMA ANTIMATTER US $22.90 Buy It Now 1 day
ANTIMATTER Fear Of A Unique Identity CD Jewelcase 2012 Prophecy ÍON ANATHEMA US $12.90 Buy It Now 1 day
The 3rd and the Mortal In this room RARE CD Gathering Anathema Third Atrox Ulver US $7.99 [0 bids]
The 3rd and the Mortal Memoirs RARE CD Ltd Gathering Anathema Third Atrox Ulver US $7.99 [0 bids]
( limited ) ANATHEMA - WEATHER SYSTEMS * LIMITED EDITION CD + DVD US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ARCANA COELESTIA-LE MIRAGE DEL IDEAL-cd-2009 Anathema.. US $17.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Dawn Of Ashes - Anathema [CD New] US $13.22 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA - ALTERNATIVE 4 [BONUS TRACKS] [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $9.04 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - Silent Enigma (2001) CD US $9.79 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema - A Natural Disaster (NEW CD) US $11.20 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema - Judgement (NEW CD) US $11.20 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema - Original Album Classics (NEW CD) US $17.84 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema - Alternative 4 [CD New] US $12.02 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema - Vol. 2-Resonance [CD New] US $10.51 Buy It Now 2 days
PARADISE LOST ICON LP MADE IN BRAZIL RARE 1stPRESS 1994 OPETH KATATONIA ANATHEMA US $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Without Face-Deep Inside RARE CD Goth Moonspell Anathema The Gathering style US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA "The Crestfallen EP" ORG 1st press RARE OOP!!! US $49.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Antimatter - Leaving Eden - black vinyl - record LP anathema US $34.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA - RESONANCE, VOL. 2 [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $7.53 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA CRESTFALLEN EP / PENTECOST III CD *NEW* SLIPCASE US $19.97 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA - WE'RE HERE BECAUSE WE'RE HERE (180GM) NEW VINYL US $55.57 Buy It Now 2 days
THE GATHERING The West Pole DIGIPAK THEATRE OF TRAGEDY ANATHEMA US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Crossfade - We all Bleed Digipak CD [ Metal Katatonia Anathema Opeth ] US $6.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA A Natural Disaster ORIG 2003 DIGIPAK MUSIC FOR NATIONS CDMFNX297 SEALED US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema Universal 2CD set (CD + DVD) US $25.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema : Resonance Volume 2 CD (2001) US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Weather Systems [Digipak] by Anathema (CD, Apr-2012, The End) US $9.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema * by Dawn of Ashes (CD, Apr-2013, Planetworks) US $10.29 Buy It Now 2 days
ESOTERIC - METAMORPHOGENESIS CD, Paradise Lost, Anathema, My Dying Bride US $0.99 [0 bids]
the loveless - star rover, bay laurel saturnus him tristania anathema slumber US $5.99 [0 bids]
far from mind - breakpoint 33', drudkh alcest anathema katatonia ulver agalloch US $5.99 [0 bids]
sleepless - winds blow higher, agalloch katatonia anathema opeth manes alcest US $5.99 [0 bids]
on thorns I lay - future narcotic, katatonia anathema saturnus alcest slumber US $5.99 [0 bids]
on thorns I lay - angeldust, katatonia october tide anathema saturnus alcest fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA**UNIVERSAL**CD + DVD SET US $14.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Opeth - Orchid FIRST PRESS BLUE CD 1995!!! Katatonia, Alcest, Anathema, Agalloch US $22.00 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA-FINE DAY TO EXIT CD NEW US $13.98 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA-NATURAL DISASTER CD NEW US $14.28 Buy It Now 2 days
This Filthy Seed - New World Boarders - CD (ANST666 Anathema 666) US $14.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Resonance, Vol. 2 Promo by Anathema (CD, 2002, Peaceville Records) US $0.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA - WEATHER SYSTEMS Sticker NEW Officially licensed Merch US $3.82 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA THE SILENT ENIGMA + 2 BONUS TRACKS SEALED CD NEW 2012 US $5.26 Buy It Now 3 days
AHAB - THE GIANT CD SOLITUDE DRACONIAN MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
PARADISE LOST - TRAGIC IDOL CD NEW vallenfyre orphaned opeth my dying anathema US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema - Untouchable DLP US $45.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Leafblade - Kiss of Spirit and Flesh (2013) CD Anathema US $6.63 [1 bids]
Anathema - We'Re Here Because We'Re Here [Vinyl New] US $43.60 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA "Untouchable" 2LP 2013, Kscope (Vinyl Album) New Sealed US $35.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema - Eternity (Lp) (2013) - New - Long Play Record US $25.70 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA - WE'RE HERE BECAUSE WE'RE HERE - CD - New US $19.57 Buy It Now 3 days
SENTENCED AMOK LP + INSERT 2014 CENTURY MEDIA REISSUE down anathema death opeth US $27.99 Buy It Now 3 days
The Gathering Sleepy Buildings A Semi Acoustic Evening Double Vinyl Lp Anathema US $49.99 Buy It Now 3 days
THE GATHERING if then else LP *1st PRESS 2000 century media* anathema katatonia US $69.99 Buy It Now 3 days
The Gathering Superheat Double Vinyl Lp Anathema US $39.99 Buy It Now 3 days
The gathering How to measure a planet 1st edition 1998 century media Anathema US $74.99 Buy It Now 3 days
The Gathering Afterwords LP sealed! Anathema US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
The gathering Home lim 300 copies black vinyl gatefold 2006 Anathema US $169.99 Buy It Now 3 days
RIVERSIDE "RAPID EYE MOVEMENT" CD porcupine tree anathema US $13.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy ANATHEMA music online Buy ANATHEMA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ANATHEMA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ANATHEMA Eternity ratings distribution

ANATHEMA Eternity reviews

Review by aapatsos
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal and Heavy Prog Teams
5 stars This was one of the first albums I ever delved into... I first read about it in a review of a magazine 10 years ago which described it in a very emotional way, not making any comments on the music, the guitars, vocals etc. I was pretty impressed I must say.

The music: Anathema have evolved from their latest 'Silent Enigma' and follow a more 'melodic' path in this record. The heaviness is still there though. A good description of the music could be 'melodic doom/atmospheric' metal. Of course there are several points were the Floyd influences are obvious and the keyboards bring this feeling. There is also a cover of Gilmour's 'Hope' (for many years I thought it was a Floyd cover) which is excellent.

The emotion: The strong asset of this record is the combination of the music with the lyrics. If you start 'getting' into the meaning of the words, it is almost inevitable to fall in love with this album. Issues about life and death, human existence etc. are very well 'presented' and make this record a 'painful' journey...

It is still (and probably will always be) Anathema's best release. Hint: Don't treat this album as a common release, try to search 'deep' in it, you won't regret it. Regarding it's progressiveness, I can't tell if you can consider it prog or not. For me it's definitely a masterpiece of atmospheric music. Everything seems perfect, from the cover to the last note. Highly recommended.

Angelic...

Send comments to aapatsos (BETA) | Report this review (#77610) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 09, 2006

3 stars This record is the start of a new era for ANATHEMA. Gone for good are the Death Metal vocals, and they would become more PINK FLOYD sounding.The best song for me on the record is "Hope" which was co-written by David Gilmour and is a cover from the Roy Harper and Jimmy Page record called HARPER AND JAGULA. The monologue to open the song was also done by Roy Harper. I really like the guitar line in this one. Duncan Patterson's finger prints are all over this album from the lyrics to the excellent bass playing. Compared to the albums that follow this is a little dingy sounding and the vocals to the songs themselves just aren't as good. Maybe it's because this is the transition album.

The first song "Sentient" has some nice piano and guitar, and ends with some vocal sampling sounding a lot like PINK FLOYD. "Angelica" has a quiet beginning that builds in intensity until the vocals come in. Some emotional guitar on this one."The Beloved" is a rocker, much more aggressive than the first two tracks. Some excellent guitar 4 minutes in. "Eternity Part 1" is emotional much like most of this record, love the line "do you think were forever ?" "Eternity Part II" is atmospheric with a guitar line that comes and goes, some faint spoken vocals 2 1/2 minutes in.

"Suicide Veil" is pretty much a gothic tune, dark and slow, with lots of bass, ending with some beautiful acoustic guitar and rain. "Radiance" kicks in around a minute and gets heavier with synths before 3 minutes. Passionate vocals and guitar after 4 minutes. I love the chorus on "Far Away", and the bass is great too. I like the way the song speeds up at around 4 minutes and then the guitars of Vincent and Daniel shine. "Eternity Part III" is a dark tune that gets heavy with some nice guitar. "Cries On The Wind" features some heavy passages early. Check out the ripping guitar solo after 3 minutes, then the tempo picks up. It ends with spoken vocals. "Ascension" is a melodic instrumental ending emotionally with piano.

A pretty good record but the best is just around the corner. For me "A Fine Day To Exit", "Alternative 4" and "Judgement" are all a level up from this one.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#93937) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 09, 2006

Review by hdfisch
4 stars This album was the definite transitional one in the career of this band hailing from Liverpool. After two full-length releases plus one EP having been quite influential in doom metal they've changed here drastically their sound towards more atmospheric and psychedelic rock/metal with a strong Floydian touch. It became a highly emotional, melancholic and inspiring album and I've to say it's besides "Alternative 4" one my favourite ones by them (though all their others are very good as well).

The short but fascinating "Sentient" is a perfect introduction into the inspiring atmosphere of this album and "Angelica" reveals a sound quite typical for the band's later albums with weeping guitars, mournful atmosphere and soft vocals by Vincent Cavanagh that considerably improved compared to "The Silent Enigma". "The beloved" changes to a significantly heavier and more aggressive mood though still having pleasant and highly emotional sections with expressively presented deep lyrics. Then there are the first two parts of the title track of which Part one is a great highlight in particular. It's a rather up-speed track with some experimental electronic sounds at its end leading into Part 2 which continues with more atmospheric and ambient tunes. Pink Floyd-cover "Hope" starts with the recitement of a Shakespeare-sque sonnet and represents a very nicely done version of this great song. Somehow it fits here very well right in the middle bringing some gleam of light into this rather mournful album. "Suicide veil" is another highlight and as the title implies a very sorrowful and depressing song with some nice Floydian touch. "Radiance" is another slow paced and excellent track revealing a highly textured symphonic sound. The following "Far Away" is - actually I hate repeating myself - once again a highlight of this disk and together with "The beloved" and "Hope" one of the easiest ones to memorize from here. "Eternity part III" reveals a more dragging doom metal sound with thick guitars and here we can find one of the few sections with growls of this album. "Cries on the wind" continues in a heavier and slow paced mood with great thick guitar sound and all instrumental last track of the standard edition "Ascension" starts in a more up-speed pace before it closes with a mellow acoustic sound. The limited edition comes including acoustic versions of "Far Away" and "Eternity part III" which are a very worthwhile addition.

As a summary I just can highly recommend this album to any fan of heavier, dark and atmospheric progressive music. Certainly worth (at least) 4 stars!

Send comments to hdfisch (BETA) | Report this review (#99095) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 16, 2006

Review by OpethGuitarist
2 stars Cavanagh makes leaps and bounds with his vocals - but the rest?

Anathema biggest leap into a "darker" Floydian sound was here at Eternity. The copy I have is actually a Limited edition Disc with 2 extra tracks, an acoustic rendition of Far Away and Eternity Pt2. Anyways, this might be one of my least favorite Anathema records, it strikes me as the most plain and least captivating.

Quite frankly, I find little of it intriguing, progressive, or what not. Most of it seems like bland alternative music. And to boot, the melodies are not particular captivating, as they would be on Judgement and Alternative 4. Many speak of the emotion that is contained in all of the Anathema records. I find little if any of it here. Instead I here a group of musicians, while still very able, searching for their sound since they went away from their doom roots.

I am sure fans of neo, alt. rock, and more mainstream acts might find this album very enjoyable, however, it's just not for me. I find many of the other Anathema records much better music wise, and also crafted much more thoughtfully.

Send comments to OpethGuitarist (BETA) | Report this review (#112020) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Review by Moatilliatta
2 stars For those of you who read my review for A Fine Day to Exit and wondered why Anathema seemed like such an anathema to me, I would first like to say that I only said that just now because it was a pun and I almost never leave a potential pun unsaid. Now, the band is no anathema to me, but they do bore me. And if they don't bore you, well then my goodness you are either a boring person or you are really depressed and you just sit there meditating on the lyrics while you listen and you wallow in the grief that you've exagerrated because you crave attention.

Before you guys get all offended or whatever, know that I am kidding, unless you liked the Crestfallen EP, because you shouldn't like that even if you're into doom metal. Sure, I'm opinionated, but I've also long held the belief that my opinions are facts, so there. I'm not going to argue with you about it! Just let me write this review!

So, what we have here is Anathema sprouting from their doom metal roots into a decent-sounding alternative metal with some Pink Floyd influence. This is the premature version of their sound, though. You'll notice that when Anathema drastically changes their sound, it takes them and album or two to actualize the potential of their new ideas. A Fine Day to Exit was a decent album, but it did get a little boring and I couldn't bother finishing it when I had more enjoyable music to listen to, like the album that followed, A Natural Disaster.

If you like the general sound the group presents here, I would suggest that you stop listening to whatever you're sampling, and grab Judgement, which [at this point] is analogous to A Natural Disaster in terms of sound development. If you're really into this sound, I still suggest that you stop and go check out the aforementioned as well as Alternative 4, which is also better. Now, if you still aren't satiated by those two, sure, have this one as well, but I doubt you'll listen to it half as much.

Send comments to Moatilliatta (BETA) | Report this review (#168244) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 20, 2008

Review by The Crow
3 stars The album where the Anathema's musical direction changed definitively... Thanks God!

But the style of the band was not really orientated yet. After closing their Doom Metal era, they maked this album based on Pink Floyd and 70's sounds, and with some gothic and symphonic influences... And the new Anathema's style was born!

They keeped their metallic roots, but giving the music a lot of more sentiment and diversity... The clear Vincent vocals are far from the Doom Metal growls. Ok... But I muss say they are not really good. This mand could not really singing yet... He is not very bad, but sometimes he sounds out of tone, and I think his voice was not under his total control. It's a pity... Because some great parts of the album are spoiled by the weak Vincent's singing. He would improve a lot for the next realease (Alternative 4), but in Eternity he sounds unpleasant. Nevertheless, the female voices in some songs are much better.

The album is maybe still harder than the later Anathema's milestones... But the acoustic and ambiental passages avoid this album being hard for not-metal lovers. Some songs have even new age influences... Like Eternity Part II, and the very Pink Floydish Sentient. This is still metal, but a mellow view of this style, and more accesible than the previous Anathema's extreme works. So if you are not into hard sounds, this is not a problem.

Best songs: Angelica (one of the most beautiful guitar meodies Anathema has ever made...), The Beloved (hard and catchy song... Despite the bad vocals), Hope (one of the most original songs, with good guitar layes and some keyboards), Far Away (a little classic of this album...) and Cries on the Wind (I like the egipcian influences of this track...)

Conclusion: the first album where Anathema starts to showing the style they make now... Really different of their Doom Metal beginnings, and far better in my opinion. This album has some weak points, like the poor production, and the bad Vicent's singing. But every Anathema's fan will find it interesting. I would also recommend this album to the rest of listeners... But despite this is not a bad work, if you are new to Anathema, I recommend you to start with later albums like the marvellous Alternative 4, or the equally excellent Judegemnt, because Eternity can be a bit hard for beginners.

My rating: ***

Send comments to The Crow (BETA) | Report this review (#171775) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Anathema shock. they're very good!

Between 1992 and 1995, Anathema released two full albums and two well filled EPs. With their doom laden heavy instrumental sound and growled vocals, they appeared to have set out their stall and defined the path they would take throughout their career. People like myself found their works frustrating as they hinted at great potential but ultimately disappointed. Nothing prepared any of us though, including their most devoted fans, for what was to happen in 1996.

The line up remained unchanged for the recording of "Eternity", but the reality is this is a completely different band. Suddenly, Vincent Cavanagh discovers he is actually a highly capable singer while the band as a whole reveal a starling capacity to create melodic masterpieces. There is no question of the band compromising their values or selling out, but this is the equivalent of Pink Floyd metamorphosing from the band which made "Ummagumma" to the creators of "Dark side of the moon".

The opening "Sentient" signals the change straight away, with beautiful piano and weeping guitar combining over a lush mellotron like base. The track is slightly reminiscent of Marillion's "Pseudo silk Kimono", in texture if not melody. This becomes "Angelica" where we find a continuation of the wonderful guitar sounds. As we brace ourselves from the inevitable growling to shatter the magnificent introductory moments, we are presented with delightfully melodic vocals. I still find it hard to restrain my unfettered joy in Anathema's decision to take such a bold step at this stage in their career.

Even when the pace is lifted and the atmosphere is sharply altered for the hard rocking "The beloved", melody and fine vocals remain the order of the day. The arrangements are admirably inventive and tightly performed. The first of three tracks to bear the album's title runs in all to almost 6 minutes. The choral synths, female backing vocals and gothic atmosphere combine to create a track which has all the hallmarks of a Sisters of Mercy number, it could even be Wayne Hussey singing! There is no direct connection between the three "Eternity's", part two being an atmospheric instrumental coda to part 1.

The next surprise is the inclusion of a cover version of the David Gilmour/Roy Harper song "Hope". This starts with a poetic recital leading to magnificent bass laden number with a quite astonishing vocal performance. As Vincent sings "I wanted to live forever" the quivering of his voice is charged with emotion and power. Why would anyone with such a fine voice waste so many years growling!

"Suicide veil" has more in keeping with the old Anathema in terms of style and instrumental sound, the raw emotion being brought out far better by the sung vocals. "Radiance" builds from a goth like start to a climactic conclusion, the Mission/Sisters of Mercy comparison remaining entirely valid. "Far away" is strongly reminiscent of Porcupine Tree, a band Anathema have been closely associated with over many years. The vocal style on this song is that of Steve Wilson, especially on more recent Porcupine Tree albums.

The final "Eternity" track is by far the hardest, venturing even closer to the style of previous releases. "Cries on the wind" prolongs the doomy mood with ultra-heavy guitar sounds prevailing. The instrumental "Ascension" which closes the album takes us back to the haunting piano atmosphere of the start.

The re-released version of the CD includes three bonus tracks. Two of these are acoustic workings of tracks on the album, while the third is a live rendition of "Angelica". I find myself preferring the acoustic renditions of "Far away" and "Eternity part 3" which are after all the heaviest tracks on the album.

This is the album Anathema had threatened to make right from the start. Those of us who saw the potential in their early albums but were left disappointed by them have been rewarded beyond our dreams here. There is still a little way to go to attain the heights the band would reach on later albums, but "Eternity" represents a massive change for the band and one of the most admirable improvements in the history of prog.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#174779) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 22, 2008

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars With the death grunts gone, some of the band's future style and quality starts shining through. What we get is emotinal doom rock that reveals a lot of Fields of the Nephilim and Pink Floyd influences.

The album is uneven though, only a few songs are really remarkable and while Vincent gives a brave try at the vocals it comes out rather forced and regularly out of tune. At least he succeeds in offering some strong melodies and an emotional - not to say pathetic - edge to the growing personality of the band. You can certainly not blame them for not doing their ultimate best.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#237626) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 06, 2009

Review by EatThatPhonebook
2 stars Anathema's third studio album is the album that divides Anathema's two main periods: The deat Doom metal one, and the Alternative Rock (with Doom Metal influences) one. Said that, "Eternity" is still an immature album, with certainly some very nice moments in many parts, but the band obviously hasn't reached maturity yet; the vocals aren't really convincing, just like some moods in the songs.

Musically, the album has many Pink Floyd influences as well as still some metal winks here and there. The structure of the album isn't particularly well-built, but still respectable for a band that still had a lot to prove back then.

Some of the best moments are also the most dramatic; "Angelica"'s melancholic melodies, the first part of the title track's amazing, haunting, and very impactful atmospheres. Not to forget also the alarmed and creepy "Cries On The Wind", and the beautiful harmony of "Far Away".

An interesting effort, in conclusion, and definitely worth the listen if you like the band, since it it's a landmark album for them chronologically and musically speaking.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#318781) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 14, 2010

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars If you have ever read some previous reviews of mine about "Anathema", you might know that I was quite mixed (to say the least) about the music displayed so far. The only exception being of their "Pentecost III" EP (whose lenght was almost a full album one);

This "Eternity" album starts brilliantly, with a fantastic intro song that should shiver your flesh. The instrumental "Sentient" is such a moving piece of music! Almost symphonic!

Actually, the great feeling goes on with the other songs featured as well: harmony combined with some heavy enthusiasm. If it weren't for one of my best friend (hi JP), I wouldn't have investigated more into this band. But as I wrote in some previous early recordings (especially the EP "Pentecost III"): there were some good signs which are completely fulfilled in this album.

Of course, this work doesn't belong to some sort of a quiet and tranquil generated music. The offering is rather energetic, but still melodic and comfortably innovative ("Eternity"). What a change in comparison with some previous works!

The band is almost unrecognizable. Not in terms of instrumental parts (I have mentioned how great they were already). But more in terms of musical beauty ("Eternity " both part I and II).

This band was categorized in a complete different section while they appeared in PA. But now, gone are the growling vocals, and welcome are the melodic song structures like "Hope". I would almost tell that the great instrumental sections of their previous recordings are shadowed by the vocal parts of this work!

The excellent doom atmosphere is not alien from this album of course: "Radiance" and the excellent "Cries On The Wind" are there to remind us these moments. The added prog feel is so obvious! These songs are a great achievement and a definite superb prog adventure.

As many reviewers have written, this work is a major step forward (but some signs of improvements were noticeable already with "Pentecost III") in the development of the band / music.

The most emotional track being the wonderful "Far Away":which featurs an awesome guitar finae. Itl is of course a highlight of this album.

This effort is by far their best one. Seven out of ten, but upgraded to four stars. This is a total and reversed style of music which is played . But so pleasant to report! And so great to listen to!

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#338575) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 29, 2010

Review by Warthur
4 stars Of all the bands in the "Peaceville Three" of Anathema, My Dying Bride, and Paradise Lost - pioneers of both a death/doom hybrid sound and, later, gothic metal, Anathema are by far the group I enjoy the most. On Eternity they play an intriguing blend of doomy gothic metal with gothy indie rock which puts me in mind of The Chameleons - in particular, Vincent Cavanaugh's lead vocals put me in mind of the vocals of Mark Burgess of Chameleons fame, and both bands tend towards a similar "wall of guitars" sound. I think the reason I like Anathema more than the other two boils down to them showing real taste and discernment when it comes to the alternative rock and gothic rock influences they weave into their music; Eternity is a good case in point.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#627088) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 05, 2012

4 stars 7.5/10 And here things start to work, thankfully. With Eternity, I get to see Anathema who I became a fan. No more guttural vocals, and I am eternally grateful for it: this is an album of transition, more melodic and ethereal than its predecessors. There are still a lot of weight here, but ... (read more)

Report this review (#996618) | Posted by voliveira | Friday, July 12, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars A fair proportion of bands are able to produce one album which clearly stands out above the rest, and stands as a crystallisation of all the best elements of the band while carefully avoiding some of the more obvious negatives. And in my humble opinion, this is Anathema's. The Liverpool lads hav ... (read more)

Report this review (#567445) | Posted by Ffogorp the Confused | Sunday, November 13, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Eternity ? 1996 (2.6/5 almost 2 stars) 9 ? Best Song: Angelica Artistic growth used to mean so much more, I think, and this isn't me complaining about the 1990's, because if you take a quick stroll at my other review pages, some bands (like Ween) receive glowing praise from me. But back wit ... (read more)

Report this review (#459139) | Posted by Alitare | Saturday, June 11, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Every once in a while there comes along an album that makes a deeply significant impact on you. An album that sums up the utter power of music. While it plays, all you can do is sit there, and listen...allowing every note in every song to completely consume your entire being. All the joys and ... (read more)

Report this review (#85982) | Posted by bleak | Sunday, August 06, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars One of my favourite albums, Eternity shows Anathema moving away from their early doom sound to an amalgam of progressive rock, alternative and metal, whilst retaining an oppressive atmosphere. Naturally, this move alienated a lot of their early fans but, given the lineup changes, a change of s ... (read more)

Report this review (#79396) | Posted by johnafirth | Friday, May 26, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars 1996's christmas present for me was this highly anticipated album (after I read a lot of review stating how much this album would blow up the previous releases of the band), and sure I was not deceived. This album is simply outstanding. The vocalist took singing lessons for the album and that' ... (read more)

Report this review (#64719) | Posted by zaxx | Saturday, January 14, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Actually,this album is not progressive,it's alternative.It's just something different, but not progressive..Anyway,it's one of my favourites of Anathema.This english band which I have seen live in Athens, proves that emotions does not only mean love..That's a cliche for today's mainstream.Thi ... (read more)

Report this review (#44346) | Posted by | Friday, August 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is a very nice melancholic metal album but it's far from being a five-star-masterpiece. Anathema has improved a lot since their early days. With "Eternity" the death-doom metal is gone and in place we have some nice dark melodic metal, their sound being a metallic and slower version of th ... (read more)

Report this review (#42410) | Posted by Prosciutto | Thursday, August 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Anathema still got inspiration, the way they have evolved from "The Silent Enigma"/"Pentecost" is amazing. The album is a reflection of how theyve evolved and I love the evolution. I get really emotional listening to the album. The best track(According to ME!) on the album is "The Beloved" the ... (read more)

Report this review (#30108) | Posted by | Thursday, June 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This really is a great album. It starts with a peaceful piano/guitar instrumental. The album often reminded me of Pink Floyd. It contains great guitar solo's which really touched me. If you like Prog Metal/Neo Prog Rock I'd recommend it to anyone. ... (read more)

Report this review (#30106) | Posted by ---Progman--- | Tuesday, June 01, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars My favourite Anathema's. Because it's singular,original, spelling, very ethereal, both spacy and so beautifully dark. Songs are really "progressive", they often move from a certain quietness to a tenebrous apocalytic doom-metallic atmosphere ( just listen to the powerful end of "Eternity p ... (read more)

Report this review (#30107) | Posted by | Monday, May 24, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ANATHEMA "Eternity"