Genesis - Calling All Stations CD (album) cover

CALLING ALL STATIONS

Genesis

voliveira
3 stars 6/10

One end is not so bad for one of the greatest prog giants.

Well, when Genesis released this album they had already suffered the loss of Phil Collins, who had launched them to stardom in the '80s - and that's one thing I do not have to complain about. But the addition of Ray Wilson was certainly a very positive thing, considering the quality of his voice, which hoarseness reminds me more Gabriel than Collins.

Unfortunately the band does not seem to have more energy and qualiade of yore. Certainly not to blame for Wilson, neither of drummers invited Nir Zidkyahu and Nick D'Virgilio. Rutherford and his guitar and bass play a decent role here, but Banks and their generic keyboards that really disappoint me - for that pitiful thing that is certainly my favorite keyboardist.

This leads me to the conclusion that Calling All Stations album is certainly the weakest of Genesis since 1981, and is also the only discography of the band to which I give a rating of three stars. He certainly does not have a mediocre or From Abacab Genesis to Revelation, but not at all equal to the masterpieces of the '70s as Selling England By The Pound or A Trick of the Tail. While most of the songs seem to sound awfully generic and uninspired few stand out: the title track, the singles Congo (which ends badly), and Not About Us and the grand finale of One Man's Fool.

voliveira | 3/5 |