Alan Parsons Project - The Turn Of A Friendly Card CD (album) cover

THE TURN OF A FRIENDLY CARD

Alan Parsons Project

Andrea Cortese
3 stars The Turn of a Friendly Card is generally recognized by many as one of the strongest efforts in the Project's career and a return to the form after the "experimental" mediocrity of the previous album.

I agree that the melodies are stronger than those off Eve, with even straightforward pop tracks like "Games People Play", "Snake Eyes" and "I Don't Wanna Go Home" being catchy enough to persuade a prog fan such as myself. The light medieval feel in the second half of the record is particularly successful and the instrumental "The Ace of Swords" is its pinnacle (along with the two parts of the title track).

Having said that, I have to admit this work is not comparable to the wonderful "I Robot". There is no memorable number except for "The Gold Bug", whose groove and sax succeed to fully satisfy my ears.

Andrea Cortese | 3/5 |