Anathema - The Crestfallen CD (album) cover

THE CRESTFALLEN

Anathema

Experimental/Post Metal

zaxx
2 stars I bought this CD as part of a serenades/crestfallen double CD mainly to complete my Anathema collection. This is a debut release and should be considered as a doomdeath record (it's amazing to see how many bands have started by doing doomdeath or death metal before finding their own style - Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Therion, Tiamat, The Gathering, and a lot more...).

This record contains a mix of good and poor songs. "... And I Lust" is probably the best doomy song on the album, it has a great melody and the vocals are bearable. "The Sweet Suffering", "They Die" and "Crestfallen" are tracks that are not remarkable, though the latter has a nice piano intro. "Everwake" is the trademark of early Anathema albums: the "acoustic track #3", a beautiful short acoustic track with female vocals.

Rating: 64/100