THE CRESTFALLEN

Buy ANATHEMA Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 1992

Original Version:
1. ...And I lust (5:47)
2. The sweet suffering (6:42)
3. Everwake (2:41)
4. Crestfallen (10:17)
5. They die (7:59)

LP Version:
1. ...And I lust (5:47)
2. The sweet suffering (6:42)
3. Everwake (2:41)

- Vincent Cavanagh / guitar
- Duncan J. Patterson / bass
- White Darren / vocals

Peaceville Records TCD VILE36

and to OpethGuitarist for the last updates

ANATHEMA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ANATHEMA The Crestfallen Music

Falling DeeperFalling Deeper
KSCOPE 2011
Fine Day to ExitFine Day to Exit
Sony UK 2006
Anathema - Pentecost III LP ( The Gathering - Tiamat - Novembers Doom ) US $33.00 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Anathema - Eternity Vinyl Record LP US $37.47 Buy It Now 2h 52m
ANATHEMA "Serenades" ORG 1st VILECD press RARE OOP!!! US $29.00 Buy It Now 3h 58m
ANATHEMA - WEATHER SYSTEMS [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $9.61 Buy It Now 4h 46m
ANATHEMA - WEATHER SYSTEMS [ANATHEMA] [802644820927] - NEW CD US $17.92 Buy It Now 7h 33m
NECARE-RUIN-CD-doom-death-anathema-my dying bride-mourning beloveth US $12.99 Buy It Now 8h 31m
RIVERSIDE "RAPID EYE MOVEMENT" CD porcupine tree anathema US $14.99 [0 bids]
RIVERSIDE "ADHD + LIVE IN AMSTERDAM" CD + DVD porcupine tree anathema US $19.99 [0 bids]
THE GARDNERZ Embroidered Logo PATCH My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Anathema US $5.99 Buy It Now 12h 53m
ENDLESS - PERIHELION CD 1999 Red Black Rare OOP Katatonia Anathema US $5.00 [0 bids]
Dies Irae - "Ethereal" CD (OPETH, ANATHEMA ) GREAT CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 13h 17m
PARADISE LOST - Gothic CD 1991 Rare OOP Katatonia Anathema US $15.00 [0 bids]
Anathema: Serenades CD 2003 Bonus Tks Peaceville CDVILED 34 Super Jewel Box NEW US $13.95 Buy It Now 14h 48m
Alastis Unity Cd 1st Press 2001 Century Media Black Metal Black/Gothic Anathema US $18.50 Buy It Now 15h 15m
New sealed The Silent Enigma by Anathema CD, album 1997, Fierce recordings US $10.99 Buy It Now 17h 4m
MARCHE FUNEBRE-TO DROWN-CD-dark-anathema-my dying bride-katatonia-doom-death US $9.99 Buy It Now 20h 30m
Anathema "Hindsight" CD (Kscope/Snapper Music, 2008) **Free Shipping** US $17.39 Buy It Now 22h 37m
ANATHEMA DISTANT SATELLITES Steven Wilson ? JAPAN CD + BLU-RAY AUDIO US $46.80 Buy It Now 1 day
KATATONIA FOR FUNERALS TO COME CD 1995 AV009 anathema my dying bride opeth US $26.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - Srenades (2003) - New - Compact Disc US $9.15 Buy It Now 1 day
Falling Deeper by Anathema (CD, Sep-2011, Kscope) US $8.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - Falling Deeper [CD New] US $11.92 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA FALLING DEEPER SEALED CD NEW 2011 US $5.70 Buy It Now 1 day
PARADISE LOST ICON G/F 2LP + POSTER SIGNED original 1995 MFN anathema opeth US $114.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - Eternity 1996 Peaceville Metal OOP Rare Digipack US $9.99 [0 bids]
HEDON CRIES - Affliction's Fiction (CD 2007) Anathema My Dying Bride Saturnus US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LOT 9 DVD DEICIDE KATAKLYSM MACABRE MUNICIPAL WASTE ANATHEMA MALEVOLENT CREATION US $45.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PARADISE LOST Icon LIMITED DIGI 1993 Music For Nations My Dying Bride Anathema US $55.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA The Silent Enigma CD 1995 GLOBUS My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Gathering US $39.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA - A MOMENT IN TIME 2006 METAL MIND DVD Shipping is 7 usd US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA - A VISION OF A DYING EMBRACE 2002 DVD PEACEVILLE Shipping is 7 usd US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA - A VISION OF A DYING EMBRACE - *NEW DVD* *SEALED* US $7.57 Buy It Now 1 day
EDEN HOUSE Half Life: Fields of the Nephilim Anathema Mission Roxy Music 180g LP US $22.08 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema-A Natural Disaster CD CD Excellent US $14.01 Buy It Now 1 day
KATATONIA Embroidered Logo PATCH Opeth Bloodbath Anathema US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA THE SILENT ENIGMA SPECIAL UKR. EDITION ODYSSEY DOOM METAL US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - Fine Day to Exit (2006) US $8.48 Buy It Now 1 day
on thorns I lay - angeldust, katatonia october tide anathema saturnus alcest fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
on thorns I lay - future narcotic, katatonia anathema saturnus alcest slumber US $5.99 [0 bids]
the loveless - star rover, bay laurel saturnus him tristania anathema slumber US $5.99 [0 bids]
far from mind - breakpoint 33', drudkh alcest anathema katatonia ulver agalloch US $5.99 [0 bids]
sleepless - winds blow higher, agalloch katatonia anathema opeth manes alcest US $5.99 [0 bids]
Falling Deeper by Anathema (CD, Sep-2011, Icarus/Kscope) US $7.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA Serenades + Extra Tracks CD 1993 Peaceville/Futurist my dying bride US $5.00 [1 bids]
ANATHEMA Pentecost III CD 1995 Peaceville/Fierce paradise lost doom metal 3 US $3.00 [1 bids]
ANATHEMA Eternity CD Digipak doom metal goth katatonia my dying bride prog US $3.00 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA Judgement CD goth katatonia my dying bride prog rock pink floyd US $3.00 [1 bids]
ANATHEMA A Fine Day To Exit CD goth prog rock radiohead katatonia sentenced US $0.99 [0 bids]
Anathema Device Severing of Tithes CD US $5.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Opeth - Orchid FIRST PRESS BLUE CD 1995!!! Katatonia, Alcest, Anathema, Agalloch US $28.00 [0 bids]
OPETH Deliverance 2LP Music On Vinyl death metal anathema porcupine tree US $22.00 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA - WEATHER SYSTEMS - KSCOPE209 US $23.83 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema A Natural Disaster Cd 2004 One Cent Cd US $1.25 [2 bids]
ANATHEMA Original Album Classics Judgement/Fine Day/Natural 3x CD SEALED US $16.92 Buy It Now 2 days
The Gathering - The West Pole CD New Anathema Katatonia Lacuna Coil US $12.00 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA - RESONANCE - CDVILED82 US $15.01 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA Embroidered Logo PATCH Katatonia Antimatter Paradise Lost US $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
therion theli catatonia anathema amon amarth lamb of god enslaved deicide cancer US $13.99 [0 bids]
Anathema - Distant Satellites [CD+DVD] CD New US $27.18 Buy It Now 2 days
Paradise Lost-S/T Self Titled RARE CD 2005 BMG Anathema My Dying Bride style US $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SENTENCED DOWN LP + INSERT 2014 CENTURY MEDIA REISSUE amok anathema death opeth US $27.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA - DISTANT SATELLITES NEW VINYL US $44.30 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA - UNIVERSAL NEW CD US $24.43 Buy It Now 2 days
MY DYING BRIDE "The Angel & The Dark River" OOP Rare Tape (1995) Anathema Opeth US $0.99 [0 bids]
GOLGOTHA Way of Confussion (Confusion) 3" CD EP Orphanage Anathema Avulsed Death US $12.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema : Serenades CD (1993) US $8.83 Buy It Now 2 days
PARADISE LOST - Shades of God 1992 Music for Nations anathema my dying bride US $3.00 [1 bids]
PARADISE LOST - Draconian Times 1995 Relativity anathema my dying bride morgion US $3.00 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA DISTANT SATELLITES Steven Wilson ? JAPAN CD US $29.80 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA T-SHIRT MY DYING BRIDE CATHEDRAL TIAMAT THERION KATATONIA ANTIMATTER US $27.99 Buy It Now 3 days
OPETH TANK TOP T-SHIRT ANATHEMA MY DYING BRIDE BLOODBATH KATATONIA TRISTANIA US $25.99 Buy It Now 3 days
OPETH - GHOST REVERIES COLOURED T-SHIRT ANATHEMA MY DYNG BRIDE TIAMAT KATATONIA US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA a natural disaster CD SEALED Original MUSIC FOR NATIONS 298 US $15.00 [0 bids]
SCREEN PRINTED BACK PATCH ANATHEMA - LOGO US $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA GIRLIE SHIRT -MY DYING BRIDE SHAPE OF DESPAIR PARADISE LOST CANDLEMASS US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
CATHEDRAL T-SHIRT MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA LAKE OF TEARS TIAMAT PARADISE LOST US $26.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema - Distant Satellites CD New US $23.78 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema cd album - A Natural Disaster, excellent US $12.22 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema- Judgement - 82876828532 US $12.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema- Natural Disaster - 82876828552 US $12.00 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA DISTANT SATELLITES 2 X LP MINT SEALED ORIGINAL GERMAN EDITION US $49.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Restless Oblivion - Sands of Time CD Compare to Paradise Lost, Anathema, Swallow US $5.99 [0 bids]
Alternative 4 by ANATHEMA 1998 (Original CD, Made in USA) US $4.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA - HINDSIGHT NEW VINYL US $44.30 Buy It Now 3 days
Eternity by ANATHEMA (Original CD, Made in USA) US $4.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA - NATURAL DISASTER NEW VINYL US $117.58 Buy It Now 3 days
Serenades by ANATHEMA 1993 (Original CD, Made in USA) US $5.99 [0 bids]
Katatonia - Brave Yester Days (2CD) (Opeth, Paradise Lost, Anathema, Moonspell) US $3.00 [1 bids]
The Silent Enigma by ANATHEMA 1997 (Original CD, Made in USA) US $4.99 [0 bids]
BLACK SABBATH ANATHEMA POSTER US $16.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Porcupine Tree - Recordings (CD Digibook) (Opeth, Steven Wilson, Anathema) US $4.01 [3 bids]
Venom Tribute Kreator Sodom Anathema paradise Lost Voivod Skyclad US $9.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA - WE'RE HERE BECAUSE WE'RE HERE (180GM) NEW VINYL US $55.95 Buy It Now 3 days
EDEN HOUSE 'Half Life' Fields of the Nephilim Anathema Mission Roxy Music new CD US $14.43 Buy It Now 3 days
LID - In the Mushroom first press digipak Peaceville Recs Anathema Trouble US $29.99 [0 bids]
Anathema - Universal [CD New] US $17.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema - Distant Satellites (2014) US $23.78 Buy It Now 3 days
Lake of Tears - illwill (LP) Paradise lost, opeth, anathema, Ulver, moonspell US $24.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Atahualpa ?- In Nomine Patris / Anathema (OLD SKOOL/TRANCE)(VG+) US $10.18 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA A Natural Disaster ORIG 2003 DIGIPAK MUSIC FOR NATIONS CDMFNX297 SEALED US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy ANATHEMA music online Buy ANATHEMA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ANATHEMA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ANATHEMA The Crestfallen ratings distribution

ANATHEMA The Crestfallen reviews

Review by OpethGuitarist
2 stars For not being progressive, it's not that bad.

Even though this is almost purely a doom/death release, theres enough dynamics involved to make things interesting, like the beautiful Everwake. Other than this, it's pretty much pure doom material, but it's well done and those with a taste for the genre would enjoy parts of it, or at least I did.

There is nothing really crazy going on here, the material is pretty simple, straightforward, and to the point. In this regard it does bore me to a degree, as I'm always looking at the little things that make something special, the unheralded dynamics that really distinguish something amazing from something just plain ordinary.

If you enjoyed this album try their following release (Serenades) which is a bit better. If you didn't, don't give up on the band, as you might enjoy later releases such as A Fine Day to Exit, Alternative 4, or A Natural Disaster.

Send comments to OpethGuitarist (BETA) | Report this review (#113123) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 22, 2007

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars "Somniferous whispering of scarlet fields", oh and lots of growling

This EP has now been combined with short album "Pentecost 3" released in 1995 to form a tastefully packaged 74 minute single CD release. Originally released in 1992, this the band's debut EP consists of 5 tracks running to just over half an hour.

Straight away, we are presented with the band's signature sound of heavy, doom laden guitars and indecipherable growled vocals. Helpfully, the sleeve notes include full lyrics, which are actually thoughtfully written. Unfortunately, vocalist (I use the term loosely) White Darren does not sing at all as such, but simply growls them out in the same monotone. It is a shame really, as the underlying guitar work is interesting. The stately pace remains the same for "The sweet suffering" which once again features some fine guitar work but is vocally bereft of value.

Things take a sudden and marked turn for the better with the short acoustic song "Everwake" which features distant female vocals. The song is quite delightful, not just for its own intrinsic value but as an oasis of beauty in a heavy EP.

The 10 minute title track features piano, apparently played by Darren Cavanagh, the writer of the track. Instrumentally, there is a post rock feel to the pounding guitar and phonetic drumming. The lyrics here are overwhelmingly depressive with line such as "I want for nothing, I live for nothing, I am waiting to die but I am afraid of dying" being slowly ground out without any apparent synchronisation with the instrumental backing.

The EP concludes with the 8 minute "They die" which includes the line "An ode to their plight is this dirge" the word being an accurate summary for the EP as a whole (with the exception of "Everwake").

I appreciate that my review will not find favour with devotees of the band, although it appears this EP is not held in particularly high esteem even by them. I hope however it does give the casual enquirer an idea of what to expect.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#142535) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 07, 2007

Review by UMUR
2 stars "The Crestfallen EP" is an EP release by UK doom/death metal act Anathema. The EP was released through Peaceville Records in November 1992. Anathema were formed in 1990 under the Pagan Angel monicker, but soon changed their name to Anathema. Anathema released the two demos "An Iliad of Woes (1990)" and "All Faith Is Lost (1991)" before signing to Peaceville Records for a multi-album deal. "The Crestfallen EP" is their first official release through the label.

This initially made them label mates with My Dying Bride and Paradise Lost, which are also the two acts their music is mostly comparable to. The quality of the music on "The Crestfallen EP" is not as high as the early output by the two above mentioned acts though, and Anathema were quite frankly a second tier British doom/death metal act at this point. This is of course their debut release (Although this is an EP the playing time is 33:26 minutes) and maybe I shouldnīt expect too much, but even in those days I remember I wasnīt too impressed with the music on this EP. What "The Crestfallen EP" do manage to provide is an introduction and a glimpse of what you can expect on Anathemaīs debut full-length studio album "Serenades (1993)". But thatīs about it and in my opinion you can safely skip this one and go straight to "Serenades (1993)".

Part of the problem with "The Crestfallen EP" is the pretty lifeless sound production which never manages to bring the tracks to life. Lead vocalist Darren White really isnīt the best vocalist either. He sounds out of his league here. tired and strained. All this really add up to an EP that quality wise is below average. The musicians arenīt too tight either so all in all itīs hard to recommend "The Crestfallen EP" to anyone but the most hardcore fans. A 1.5 - 2 star (35%) rating is warranted.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#155246) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
1 stars This EP is included in the 2004 re-issue of Pentecost III, which condemns it to the collector's area by definition. But with only 2 songs that I care to listen to, this EP isn't recommendable neither.

The opening And I Lust is quite strong, oppressive, as doom should be, but it also contains melodic lead guitars that give it that typical romantic flavour in doom-death. A flowering rose amidst filth, decadence and decay. The Sweet Suffering could have been equally intriguing, but it lacks something truly memorable. Everwake is a delightful acoustic piece sung by an unaccredited female vocalist. It makes a strange appearance here and would have sounded more at ease on Anathema's later masterpiece Judgement.

The last two songs are from an earlier recording session (which is a flattering description for a one-mike recording in their uncle's basement). They are unlistenable for me, sounding monotonous and chaotic. More something of a statement then music to be listened to. Don't even consider buying this, even if you're a fan, like I am.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#260927) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 15, 2010

Review by EatThatPhonebook
3 stars Anathema's second release ever, "The Crestfallen" is quite a surprise. Honestly, the first time I listened to this I didn't find it at all appealing; it sounded like just a normal, death doom metal band, with some pretty decent vocals and violent atmospheres. With my surprise, this album really grew on me, and this usually never happens with just an EP.

Sure, the album is probably just another example of a death doom metal band trying to emerge, with the same, dark lyrics and slow, agonic rhythms and melodies, but at least the result is positive and almost all the songs are quite effective.

Songs like "And I Lust..." or "The Sweet Suffering" are extremely underrated, being in my opinion near perfect doom metal tracks. "Everwake" is another great song, calm, gentle, and with some haunting female vocals in the background.

There are though the negative sides of this EP; "They Die" is really nothing special, and it isn't at all better than the version that the band chose to include in "Serenades", the band's studio debut. Even the title track has some weak moments, being a little too long, and as a consequence a little dull at times.

But I must say that this EP was a delightful surprise, and it is, I think, the best release of the band from their first, death metal influenced period.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#306433) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 24, 2010

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars I appreciate doom metal, especially when carried out but the godfathers of the genre (I guess that everyone knows who they are) but I can't stand growling Ŧvocalsŧ. This is a major problem when you are confronted with this long EP (over 33 minutes).

As such, I don't have too many complaints about the music featured here, although creativity is not quite evident while you are listening to these five tracks. The experience sounds dramatically repetitive and prog music here is totally alien.

As a whole; this is sub, sub-par Sabbath in terms of music and a desert in terms of vocals. So, the only consideration in terms of rating is the only one available: one star of course. This is a real pain for half an hour. Believe me!

If you don't trust me, just grab it, listen to it, review it and there are great chances that you might come up with the same conclusion. Only the closing part from "They Die" holds interesting elements.

One star.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#312044) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Review by Prog Sothoth
COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Have you ever been in an exceptionally good mood and thought "I'm tired of this, I want to feel utterly miserable?" Not me, but if I ever do, I'll definitely keep this album in mind. It is often stated that sad songs possess a means of making bummed out folks feel better through understanding, shared grief and sympathy. This album as a whole doesn't set out to do that. It ruins moods and stomps on any sense of positivity. I'm feeling crestfallen already.

That album cover is something else. Looking like a deranged unkempt Mila Kunis spending her life in some dreary village, the young woman's gaze wanders between depression and loathing of a strangely predatory nature. It would have been a great image for an album cover by The Smiths if Morrissey had no sense of humor whatsoever to go along with the unhinged moping. The music is quite dreary as well, but those expecting something akin to their more recent output wouldn't even recognize the band. This mini album is oppressively heavy with minor bleak melodies interspersed with monolithic doom metal riffs. The vocals are persistent death growls with some monotone spoken word passages adding variety to these dirges. The lyrics are written rather elegantly, in stark contrast to the delivery. Monsters have sad feelings too.

The first two tracks actually do a great job capturing a thick muddy atmosphere that's dismal and shambling yet never becoming tiresome to my ears. They actually entertain with some great slabs of mean riffs, particularly towards the end of "...And I Lust". "Everwake" is the album's big surprise. Stuck right at the center of this thing, it's like some ethereal oasis with sweet melodies and angelic female vocals. It's produced quite well too, in that it could have been included in any of their much later albums without any head-scratching. The last two tracks bring back the pain in droves, and they actually do drag on a bit too long for my tastes, although I must admit that "They Die" is clever in how the song seems to be ending on numerous occasions, but suddenly keeps on stomping away at the mind and soul of the listener. It's rather cool actually.

So, in retrospect, maybe this wouldn't be the right thing to play if I wish to feel terrible for some odd reason thanks to my enjoyment of aspects concerning this release. Granted, my tolerance for these sort of vocalizations are probably higher than the average prog fan, and this music has little to do with Anathema's current sound (which I love), but I can get behind something like this if I want to make someone else feel miserable by playing it loudly in their presence. That can actually be fun.

Send comments to Prog Sothoth (BETA) | Report this review (#758574) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 25, 2012

Review by Aussie-Byrd-Brother
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
3 stars I find it a bit of a shame that the early metal releases of Anathema are dismissed so quickly by the more recent fans of their sophisticated progressive rebirth. As great as that period has been, the band still released a number of moody nightmare doom metal releases that are still worthy of tracking down. Although `Crestfallen' could never be confused for being a prog rock album, there's still a number of progressive qualities in the arrangements and the atmosphere of the music.

The 33 minute album is full of slowly unfolding dark funereal dirges, with an oppressive slab of heaviness weighing down on the listener. Pummeling drums and melodic twin guitar melodies grind through the murkiness, giving the music a very cold and suffocating sound. Darren White's deep vocals are a mix of spoken word with a strained, weary and forlorn monotone growl, and they work very effectively here. Although there's a heavy fog of dark atmosphere throughout, the album is frequently balanced with some surprisingly thoughtful and oddly beautiful lyrics. Words about loves lost, devotion, spiritual release and hope are placed alongside tales of sorrow, torment and loneliness. It gives the album an interesting balance, but also a deeper quality over other similar artists.

`And I Lust...' has a tense mix of unearthly growls and spoken word, rattling drums and that classic majestic twin guitar metal sound. Lots of atmosphere and drama in this one, and I love the almost uplifting quality the guitars take just after the four minute mark. Key lyric - 'By the golden beauty of dusk, and the sun low in our sky, by the haunting shadows of trees and graves, mesmerized am I.'

`The Sweet Suffering' has world-weary slurred vocals, with sludgy chugging riffs pounding down. The pace picks up a little more in the second half. Great lyrics all throughout this one! 'The way is dim, but I find it....' - Perfectly sums up the mood of the album, words that may come to apply to you if you connect with it. `Everwake' is a brief but exquisite female sung acoustic interlude, with vivid and evocative lyrics. 'Somniferous whisperings of scarlet fields, sleep calling me and my dreams are wondrous. My reality abandoned, I traverse afar, not a care if I ever wake...' It's a stunning gothic lullaby, and a lovely respite from the relentless gloom.

A grand piano melody on the introduction of `Crestfallen', uplifting and reflective. Electric guitar plays the same melody that reinforces the emotion and sadness. Darren's vocals sound like the helpless wail of a soul in torment amongst the stop/start chugging dirty dark riffs throughout. It's lyrically interesting too - 'For the deepest love I had has dissolved before my eyes, my sorrow is bleak, I beg for deliverance. Lord, in your mercy, hear my prayer.'

`They Die' has a very sinister sound, with the drums especially heavy and dominating on this one. The arrangement is very monotonous and overbearing, but that's not exactly a criticism. There's very pained vocals, and the piece builds in urgency in the second half, with some nice busier drum- work and more majestic guitar lines.

Although `Serenades' that follows is the stronger of the two in this doom metal style, this album has more than enough gloomy and emotional grief to interest adventurous metal fans. Lyrically I find it's frequently very personal and moving, with the relentless plodding metal riffs and dead-weight drums immersive and mood-setting.

Anathema's `Crestfallen' is a vivid collection of romantic doom poetry set to a brooding soundtrack.

Send comments to Aussie-Byrd-Brother (BETA) | Report this review (#833674) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 05, 2012

3 stars I have really struggled to review this album. It is one that I neither hate nor love; indeed, it is an album, about which I really struggle to form a lasting opinion. It has some beautiful guitar riffs - both gloomy (the end of "...And I Lust", for example) and "pretty" (as demonstrated by the ... (read more)

Report this review (#290213) | Posted by island_dweller | Tuesday, July 13, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Anathema was one of the "big three" who resurrected the British doom metal scene back in the beginning of the '90s. The other two was Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride. The first one was more death metal and the latter one more symphonic prog (so why are they not in PA?). Anathema was more base ... (read more)

Report this review (#248255) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Thursday, November 05, 2009 | Review Permanlink

1 stars About Anathema: From the beginning of their career to 1995 there is nothing so special about them. In the "Pentacost III" ep and in "Eternity" they manage to make us understand that they are meant for something bigger, something that would latter come with what I consider their best album "Al ... (read more)

Report this review (#91919) | Posted by sularetal | Monday, September 25, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I bought this CD as part of a serenades/crestfallen double CD mainly to complete my Anathema collection. This is a debut release and should be considered as a doomdeath record (it's amazing to see how many bands have started by doing doomdeath or death metal before finding their own style - Pa ... (read more)

Report this review (#64588) | Posted by zaxx | Friday, January 13, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I agree with Olli. Not much to say about this. Stay away from this record unless you're into doom metal music. The exception on this disc is the track "Everwake" which is a mellow short tune, the rest is doom metal. ... (read more)

Report this review (#46360) | Posted by Prosciutto | Sunday, September 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is not progressive rock. This is doom/death metal with down-tuned guitars and growl- vocals. So most of you prog rock fans might not like this. But let me say that this is also some of my favourite music ever. The songs are slow, depressing and atmospheric. The guitar melodies on "..and ... (read more)

Report this review (#31071) | Posted by Lambert | Thursday, June 24, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ANATHEMA "The Crestfallen"