Anathema - Pentecost III CD (album) cover

PENTECOST III

Anathema

Experimental/Post Metal

zaxx
3 stars The first Anathema album I bought back in 1995 and, in fact, the first doom album I ever bought which introduced me to this type of music. The style is still in the doom/death territory, but with a more epic feel.

The opening song, "Kingdom", starts with a very dreamy melody (I love listening to the first 6 minutes of that song) that is unfortunately spoiled by a fast paced ending with growls. "Mine Is Yours To Drown In (Ours Is The New Tribe)" is the opposite: it starts with extreme vocals on a slow paced, dark type of music that turns again very atmospheric at the end. "We, The Gods" is a long epic doom song. "Pentecost III" is a short instrumental divided again in two parts: a calm start and a threatening end. "Memento Mori" is the track that contains the most death metal parts, but the outro is really nice. The album contains a hidden track, a version of the song "666" (with this name you know it's gonna be a death metal song) that has an alternate intro (usually this song starts with the "Nailed to the cross" intro).

Rating: 76/100