PENTECOST III

Good, but non-essential

Buy ANATHEMA Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 1995

1. Kingdom (9:31)
2. Mine is yours to drown in (ours is the new tribe) (5:40)
3. We, the gods (9:59)

- Vincent Cabanagh / guitar
- Duncan J. Patterson / bass
- White Darren / vocals

EP Peaceville Records CD VILE51
Also available as Peaceville Records CDVILEM 51 (2001) which also includes "The Crestfallen" EP

and to easy livin for the last updates

ANATHEMA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ANATHEMA Pentecost III Music

Sony UK 2006
EternityEternity
Extra tracks
Peaceville UK 2003
@ CD Anathema - A Fine Day To Exit / MUSIC FOR NATIONS RECORDS 2001 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Anathema ?- We're Here Because We're Here Limited Edition Numbered Edition US $80.00 [0 bids]
anathema serenades (LP) Death, Slayer, Darkthrone, ulver, katatonia, blackfield US $30.00 Buy It Now 6h 3m
Untouchable Anathema Vinyl LP US $26.49 Buy It Now 9h 15m
We're Here Because We're Here Anathema Vinyl LP US $26.42 Buy It Now 9h 15m
Eternity Anathema Vinyl LP US $25.68 Buy It Now 9h 16m
PAINFUL MEMORIES 2006 Memorial To Suffering CD Doom Death MDB Anathema Scald US $13.99 Buy It Now 10h 24m
( limited ) ANATHEMA - WEATHER SYSTEMS * LIMITED EDITION CD + DVD US $11.99 Buy It Now 11h 19m
TRISTANIA-ILLUMINATION ORG 2007 MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA US $2.99 [0 bids]
IN LOVING MEMORY - Tragedy & Moon CD 2008 Orig Anathema My Dying Bride Tiamat US $7.77 [0 bids]
Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here 2 LP Set New Vinyl Kscope US $33.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - Weather Systems 2 LP Set New Vinyl Kscope US $36.81 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - A Fine Day To Exit 2 LP Set New Vinyl Kscope US $36.81 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - A Natural Disaster 2 LP Set New Vinyl Kscope US $36.81 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - The Silent Enigma 2 LP Set New Vinyl Peaceville US $36.81 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - Alternative 4 1 LP Set New Vinyl Peaceville US $33.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - Serenades 1 LP Set New Vinyl Peaceville US $33.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - Pentecost 3 1 LP Set New Vinyl Peaceville US $33.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - Original Album Classics NEW 3 x CD US $15.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - A Natural Disaster NEW CD US $9.87 Buy It Now 1 day
ON ION Immaculada CD Equilibrium Anathema Antimatter US $12.90 Buy It Now 1 day
City Of Thorns US SEALED Mystic LP 1986 Cardinal Sin Anathema NRA SLA Wermacht US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - Eternity [Vinyl New] US $50.99 Buy It Now 1 day
IMINDAIN And The Living Shall Envy The Dead CD UK doomdeath anathema esoteric US $11.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Eternity Anathema Vinyl LP 6430028552764 US $38.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - Weather Systems (NEW CD) US $24.78 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here (Media Book Edition) (NEW 2CD) US $18.05 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema rare demo tape Darkthrone Burzum Mayhem US $6.01 [20 bids]
AGALLOCH - ASHES AGAINST THE GRAIN CD SLIPCOVER ANATHEMA OPETH IN THE WOODS US $8.99 [0 bids]
Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here PROMO -RARE US $59.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA: WE'RE HERE BECAUSE WE'RE HERE NEW CD 2010 US $13.63 Buy It Now 2 days
KATATONIA Brave Murder Day Funerals To Come VINYL LP / OPETH ANATHEMA BLOODBATH US $30.00 [0 bids]
NOVEMBERS DOOM - The Knowing / ORG PROMO CD 2000 Agalloch Anathema Katatonia US $2.99 [0 bids]
Anathema "Hindsight" CD (Kscope/Snapper Music, 2008) **Free Shipping** US $12.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA ETERNITY DIGI SEALED CD NEW US $5.88 Buy It Now 2 days
Paradise Lost Tragic Illusion LP Katatonia Borknagar Ulver Anathema Alcest US $14.99 [0 bids]
Anathema - We're Here Because Were Here Limited CD / DVD / 7" Porcupine Tree US $29.99 [0 bids]
Anathema - Judgement NEW CD US $9.87 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA - ALTERNATIVE IV - BLACK VINYL - LP record 4 US $36.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA We're Here Because We're Here (Rare Gatefold CD+7"+DVDA) My Dying Bride US $45.00 [0 bids]
Universal - 2 DISC SET - Anathema (2013, CD New) US $12.45 Buy It Now 2 days
THERION theli ORG PICTURE LP FIRST PRESS SAMAEL ANATHEMA Amorphis Opeth Tiamat US $25.00 Buy It Now 2 days
LEGACY MAGAZINE W/CD EMPEROR Therion SINISTER Enslaved AETERNUS Anathema GERMANY US $6.99 [0 bids]
Anathema Alternative 4 LP UK 801056741417 Peaceville new US $14.98 [0 bids]
Anathema Falling Deeper LP UK 802644582016 Kscope new US $14.98 [1 bids]
Anathema Serenades LP G 801056838612 Peaceville new US $21.48 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA ALTERNATIVE 4 + 4 BONUS TRACKS SEALED CD NEW US $5.88 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema Original Album Classics 3 CD new Judgement Natural Disaster Fine Day US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Tiamat-Skeleton Skeletron lp/moonspell/samael/paradise lost/therion/anathema US $69.99 [0 bids]
MUSIC w/ ATTITUDE 06~ GODSMACK + COAL CHAMBER + Anathema + FILTER+ PROMO CD ~ UK US $7.95 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA Falling Deeper BRAND NEW 2011 HARD COVER BOOK VERSION VERY LIMITED US $10.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema - A Fine Day To Exit NEW CD US $9.86 Buy It Now 3 days
sleepless - winds blow higher, agalloch katatonia anathema opeth manes alcest US $5.99 [0 bids]
far from mind - breakpoint 33', drudkh alcest anathema katatonia ulver agalloch US $6.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA Serenades 180gm Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $31.85 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA Pentecost 3 180gm Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $31.85 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema - Weather Systems [CD New] US $12.58 Buy It Now 3 days
Atahualpa ?- In Nomine Patris / Anathema 1993 OLD SKOOL TRANCE US $5.03 Buy It Now 3 days
AUTUMNBLAZE Every Sun Is Fragile DIGIPAK ANATHEMA KATATONIA WOODS OF YPRES US $16.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema / The Crestfallen EP + Pentecost III JAPAN PCCY-00952 Rare!!!!! C US $79.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema - Eternity LP Diehard White vinyl - doom metal katatonia US $16.50 [5 bids]
Anathema - Pentecost III LP - doom metal katatonia US $12.00 [0 bids]
Anathema - Weather Systems LP - doom metal katatonia US $12.00 [1 bids]
Anathema - We're Here Because We're here 1242/2000 LP - doom metal katatonia US $12.00 [1 bids]
Anathema - The Silent Enigma LP - doom metal katatonia US $12.50 [2 bids]
Anathema - Alternative 4 LP - doom metal katatonia US $16.50 [5 bids]
Anathema - Judgement LP - doom metal katatonia US $13.50 [3 bids]
YEAR ZERO - NIHIL'S FLAME - CASSETTE NEW & SEALED! (Candlemass, Anathema ) US $6.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA - UNIVERSAL (+DVD) NEW CD US $26.57 Buy It Now 3 days
Metalfest metal maniacs mag my dying bride anathema moonspell Bruce dickinson US $8.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Testament metal maniacs magazine emperor anathema acid bath megadeth w.a.s.p US $8.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Anathema - A Fine Day To Exit NEW CD US $8.07 Buy It Now 4 days
HEDON CRIES - Hate Into Grief (CD 2003) My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Anathema US $13.99 Buy It Now 4 days
ANATHEMA - ORIGINAL ALBUM CLASSICS NEW CD US $22.34 Buy It Now 4 days
ANATHEMA Falling Deeper Limited edition DigiBOOK hard cover CD US $10.95 Buy It Now 4 days
WEDDING IN HADES 2012 Misbehaviour CD Gothic Doom Death My Dying Bride Anathema US $13.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Weather Systems - Anathema (2012, CD New) US $9.28 Buy It Now 4 days
~ ANATHEMA - WE'RE HERE BECAUSE WE'RE HERE ~ MUSIC CD US $7.49 Buy It Now 4 days
Cynic-Re-Traced cd digipack Atheist The Faceless Anathema Muse Porcupine Tree US $11.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Cynic-Re-Traced cd jewel Atheist The Faceless Anathema Muse Porcupine Tree US $10.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Anathema "Hindsight" 2008 Sealed US $13.43 Buy It Now 4 days
on thorns I lay - angeldust, katatonia october tide anathema saturnus alcest fen US $6.99 [0 bids]
Anathema - the crestfallen & pentecost III 3, saturnus katatonia paradise lost US $5.99 [0 bids]
MY DYING BRIDE - TRINITY 1ST PRESS CD paradise lost virgin black anathema doom US $9.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA The Vision of a Dying Embrace DVD ( ALL AREAS US $8.99 Buy It Now 4 days
the loveless - star rover, bay laurel saturnus him tristania anathema slumber US $6.99 [0 bids]
on thorns I lay - future narcotic, katatonia anathema saturnus alcest slumber US $6.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA - ALTERNATIVE 4 (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.75 Buy It Now 4 days
MY DYING BRIDE EMBROIDERED PATCH DOOM DEATH ANATHEMA PARADISE LOST Metal Negro US $7.99 Buy It Now 4 days
ANATHEMA - SERENADES - VINYL - 2 LP record alternative IV US $36.99 Buy It Now 4 days
DEVLIN - GRAND DEATH OPENING CD DIGI NEW KATATONIA ANATHEMA US $8.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Anathema - Alternative 4 [CD New] US $10.59 Buy It Now 4 days
PARADISE LOST -Lost Paradise LP 1990 Peaceville 1st Press Anathema cathedral US $39.99 [0 bids]
Paradise Lost-S/T Self Titled RARE CD 2005 BMG Anathema My Dying Bride style US $6.99 [0 bids]
RESTLESS OBLIVION 2014 Sands Of Time CD Doom Death Anathema Aglaomorpha Ophis US $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Anathema- Alternative 4 (CD Digi) - CDVILED73 US $13.75 Buy It Now 4 days
Anathema Eternity CD (UK Import) NEW US $11.41 Buy It Now 4 days
Anathema - Serenades LP doom metal Katatonia US $31.00 [8 bids]
Anathema - The Crestfallen ep - doom metal rock katatonia US $30.00 [2 bids]
"Anathema Alternative, Vol. 4 CD" US $11.20 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy ANATHEMA music online Buy ANATHEMA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ANATHEMA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ANATHEMA Pentecost III ratings distribution

ANATHEMA Pentecost III reviews

Review by billyshears'67
3 stars Not prog, but great if you like early Anathema.

An amazing EP, though the length is that of an entire album. "Kingdom" starts the album with a classic epic song that's very emotional and the guitar melodies are excellent. "Mine is Yours to Drown In (our is the new tribe)" is an excellent song and being very dark. "We, the Gods" is another Anathema classic. Being perhaps their longest song recorded, the lyrics are great and the guitar work is again, mesmerizing. The Cavanagh's really established themselves as a force after this album. There aren't many metal albums that have guitar work as unique to the music as this, it's entirely Anathema's sound. "Pentecost III" is a spacey and doom ridden intrumental. "Mementor Mori" is the only song on the album that feautres Darren White's old vocal style, it had improved on this song. Memento Mori means "remember you must die." Good song, but needs to grow on you. There's also two hidden tracks after "Memento Mori." "Pentecost III" is a great starting point for earlier Anathema albums, though it wouldn't be able to surpass the next album "The Silent Enigma."

Highly recommended: "Kingdom" and "We, the Gods."

Send comments to billyshears'67 (BETA) | Report this review (#31085) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 31, 2004

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars Unfullfilled potential

At the risk of incurring the wrath of those who enjoy the music of Anathema from this period, my criticism remains; the style of singing here completely spoils the album.

Although this short album has now been paired with the band's first EP "Crestfallen" on a single CD, there was in fact three years and a full length album between them. There are 5 tracks in total on this release, the running time being over 40 minutes.

Instrumentally, these recordings are of a high quality, the introductory phase of "Kingdom" for example being atmospheric and melodic. The vocals here are not actually too bad, being more spoken than growled as such. It would still have been preferable had the band chosen to sing, but at least progress is being made. As the track develops through its 9 minutes, the riff gets more defined and the pace quickens, the song evolving as one of the band's best pieces from around this time.

Unfortunately, we are quickly reminded that the growling is not gone for good, with "Mine is yours to drown in (ours is the new tribe)" being a thumping dirge of little consequence. "We, the gods" is another lengthy number running to around 10 minutes. Initially, the song reverts to the relatively(!) lighter atmosphere of "Kingdom" with fine guitar work supporting spoken vocals. Lyrically, the doom elements are still there in full, with passages such as You're slicing your own wrists, you're tearing out your own hearts. About mid-way though, the introduction of a heavier riff signifies the return of the growls.

The title track is the shortest on the album, and the only one which is completely instrumental. Although it runs for almost 4 minutes, it effectively forms a link piece between "We the gods" and the longest track, "Memento mori". This 12 minute monster is profoundly atmospheric, the grunted lyrics sounding like a bizarre ritual. Had this track also been an instrumental, it might have been enjoyable. As it is, it is simply tedious.

I know I go on about the vocals on Anathema's early albums, and I can only apologise to those who enjoy them. I find myself persistently frustrated by the fact that there is so much unfulfilled potential here.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#173177) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 07, 2008

Review by UMUR
3 stars Pentecost III is the second EP released by british doom metal ( at the time) band Anathema. My first experience with Anathema was through their debut album Serenades and the video for the track Sweet Tears which was often played on Headbangers Ball back then. I bought Serenades and found it good but never as good as some of my favorite doom metal albums from that time which included Gothic and Shades of God by Paradise Lost, Forest of Equilibrium and The Ethereal Mirror by Cathedral and As the Flower Withers and Turn Loose the Swans by My Dying Bride. Serenades always came second to those albums and still do IMO. Well about the time Pentecost III was released I lost my interest in doom metal and therefore never purchased that one until recently when I found it second hand. Im glad I did as I really think Anathema has improved since Serenades and become a much more exciting band.

The music is still in the doom metal style with both whispering and growling vocals from Darren White but the songs are better structured, better played and better produced. I will mention the opener Kingdom as the best track here. Its very melodic and I think that fans of Post metal will recognise the sound of the background guitars. Its a sound frequently used by bands like Pelican and Isis. This is not Post metal of course but Anathema must have inspired a lot of those bands.

The musicianship has improved considerably since Serenades and the only weak spot is Darren Whites vocals which are still not very good. His growling is weak and his whispering clean vocals are a bit embarresing at times. The music is strong enough to not by ruined by this though.

The production is one of the really positive things about Pentecost III. A really strong production for the time.

The cover is very typical for the style and not that exciting.

I think this EP is very good and Im a bit surprised at how much I like it. Ill rate Pentecost III 3 stars and recommend that you start here if you want to hear some of the early music from Anathema. Also note that the playing time is 41:22 minutes and this is an EP. Great value for your money. This is definitely quality.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#178864) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Though officially not listed as a full-length album, this extensive EP is actually a lot better then the debut. Think early Swans with the fattest possible sound and you're close. This is Anathema's heaviest and most oppressive doom release.

Kingdome is a doom-death classic. It's impossible not to hear the defining influence on Katatonia and especially on Agalloch. Mine Is Yours is almost literally early Swans, an insanely heavy American post-punk band that would also serve as a huge inspiration on Neurosis. Anathema make a worthy and respectful tribute out of it. We The Gods can't maintain the quality, sounding rather tedious and uninspired. After 2 minutes of eerie feedback, Pentecost III goes for a full Swans attack again. If you like this stuff, pick up their albums Filth, Greed or Children of God. Similar to We The Gods, Memento Mori can't capture the drive of the opening tracks.

The 2004 CD-issue also contains Anathema's first EP The Crestfallen. On it's own it has hardly any convincing material, but the delightful dreamy acoustic piece Everwake is all it takes really to lift the 2.5 star rating of Pentecost III to 3 stars.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#260928) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 15, 2010

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'Pentecost III' - Anathema (6/10)

This is some of the best doom metal Anathema has come out with over the course of their careers. Here, we have an imperfect, but beautiful blend of heaviness and grim melody. To anyone that has listened to much doom metal in the past, it shouldn't be hard to estimate what sort of material is going to be heard here. Despite being one of the best doom records I've heard, 'Pentecost III' seems to be lacking a few things, and suffering from a few shortfalls. The high points and most inspired sections are doom metal at it's best, but some lackluster vocal work and some less impressive sections rob Anathema of what could have been a real classic.

Each composition is full of really beautiful and melodic moments which could make even a heart of ice thaw out and burst into tears. The two songs that seem to have the most cohesion to them are the first and third tracks; 'Kingdom' and 'We, The Gods.' The other songs shown here are also good, but suffer from flow problems which make them feel less organized. With such a drawn out style of music like doom metal, it's easy to steer the course away from a composition and throw in alot of ideas in the hopes of spicing things up, but it ends up making the songs that much less memorable. However, 'Kingdom' for example takes it's sweet time to build up from a clean and melancholy ambience up to the level of full heaviness. 'We, The Gods' on the other hand is speckled with nice sections up until the finale, where an Iron Maiden-style gallop ensues and brings everything to a wonderful climax.

The vocals of Darren White aren't as bad as people say they are; but they definately aren't more than mediocre. The spoken word dialogues give the music a gothic flair, and there are parts where White's growl really compliments the rest of the mix. It should be clear to even a seasoned metalhead though, that he isn't one of the better growlers out there, and does not have alot of versatility to his voice.

Unfortunately, the main issue here is with the cohesion of songwriting. If all of the songs here were as grimfully perfect as 'Kingdom,' there would be a real masterpiece on our hands. As it stands however, 'Pentecost III' is a solid doom metal record and a fitting way to end Anathema's heavier era.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#286675) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Review by EatThatPhonebook
3 stars Anathema at their darkest, here with their fourth EP, "Pentecost III".

Initially I thought it was better than "Crestfallen" the underrated second EP of the band; now, I tend to prefer that release to this one.

The atmospheres are denser, creepier, and more apocalyptic sounding. Here we have no calm, fragile moments, but only 41 minutes of the doomy personification of pain and suffering. Probably the title track is the one that gives you less creeps, but even here there are sinister winks.

It would be a little hard for somebody who doesn't usually listen to death doom metal, like me, to like all the songs; "Kingdom" is creepy, but not violent, and quite fascinating, but just not that fantastic. "We, The Gods" is basically the same story. "Mine Is Yours..." is definitely the song I like the least here, even though it can be considered the song that has stronger roots to the band's original sound, from "The Crestfallen" and "Serenades". In fact, don't be surprised if you find some prog elements here and there; "Memento Mori" is an epic, 12 minute song, with many great moments, even though they use here much more growls than in all the other songs from this album. It is definitely my favorite song from Anathema's first period.

I can conclude saying that, despite having some elements that are closer to prog more than death metal, even though the doom metal still persists, "Pentecost" is a really good EP, recommendable to whoever likes the genre. 3.5 stars.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#306434) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 24, 2010

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars 1995 was a prolific year for "Anathema". Not only did they release a full length studio album, but they also recorded this "Pentecost III" EP.

Actually, since it lasts for over forty minutes, it can as well be considered almost as a standard album. Still, bearing in mind the music offered by this band so far (doom with growls); this shorter format is probably not a bad idea for my old prog ears.

It is difficult to propose an original review about this band (so far) because their music is so much predictable than one has to say almost the same. But things will soon get better.

Cabanagh is not yet in charge of the vocal department but we'll see in "Silent Enigma" released the same year that it didn't change anything to the "style". At least, from time to time, Daren is whispering his words instead of growling them. If only he could have done this for the whole work!

As I have said in prior reviews, their instrumental parts are damned good and oppressive, dark and passionate. In one word: excellent! This can be experienced again during the long opening track: "Kingdom" which is a great doom number. It is on the very slow edge and solidly heavy. And for once, vocals are almost decent. This is an excellent start for sure.

To be completely honest, there are several signs of hopes featured on this EP, but the major switch will be for later. Still, the change is already latent (even "Mine Is Yours To Drawn In" is more bearable than their usual production).

The long "We, The Gods" is extremely slow during the intro and it becomes a more classic "Anathema" song after this. Even some "prog" metal lines can be observed for a while and the instrumental finale is just gorgeous.

The last two tracks are pretty much dispensable IMHHO. Still, I would rate this album (sorry, this long EP) with three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#338556) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 29, 2010

3 stars Pentecost lll was a 5 song E.P. released in early 1995 that saw Anathema continuing on with the suffocating Doom so elegantly displayed on their Serenades debut, yet shifting their focus on long, epic and atmospheric compositions such as the monumental opener "Kingdom" and "We, The Gods". The ... (read more)

Report this review (#85979) | Posted by bleak | Sunday, August 06, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The first Anathema album I bought back in 1995 and, in fact, the first doom album I ever bought which introduced me to this type of music. The style is still in the doom/death territory, but with a more epic feel. The opening song, "Kingdom", starts with a very dreamy melody (I love listening t ... (read more)

Report this review (#64712) | Posted by zaxx | Saturday, January 14, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars "Pentecost III" is actually the third release by Anathema and by far the best album of the first period of the band. Also this is the last album with "vocalist" Darren White and strictly their last "doom metal release". The album is dominated by long epics and falls inevitably in the progress ... (read more)

Report this review (#46568) | Posted by Prosciutto | Tuesday, September 13, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ANATHEMA "Pentecost III"