Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason CD (album) cover

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

3 stars When I first heard this album in 1990's I didn't know Pink Floyd very well. I only had listened to Animals and DSOtM and didn't know about the Gilmour-Waters brawl at all. I decided to revisit Momentary Lapse of Reason with similar attitude and tried to listen to the music itself and not to think about the album's position in Pink Floyd history.

"Signs of Life" is a bit uninteresting intro that abruptly breaks into "Learning to Fly". The latter, on the other hand, is a fine enough song, despite its polished radio-friendliness. Then the album introduces many long, boring songs after another; big sounds full of nothing. Only "Dogs of War" and "On the Turning Away" have some feeling in them. The last piece, "Sorrow", despite its melodic dullness, is probably the best of the album. Gilmour plays wonderfully well and finally creates an atmosphere that the rest of the album has been lacking.

I have to admit that I liked this album more when I first heard it in the 1990's. It's decent enough background music, though.

PolarWolf | 3/5 |