Riverside - Second Life Syndrome CD (album) cover

SECOND LIFE SYNDROME

Riverside

streetcarp19
3 stars I bought this album mostly because of all the fan-fare it seems to get on this site. And to tell you the truth, after many listens, i'm kind of disappointed. But not so much that I didn't like it, cause I can see why people would, I guess it's just not really my thing. The guitar work is decent, but nothing that is going to blow you away like a Petrucci would. The vocals can be solid at times, but then he throws in some semi-chessy howls that are to erriely similar to so many other Prog-Metal bands of today.

"After" really is a good starter, and got my hopes up on the first listen, but is sadly followed by a bland display of average Prog-Metal angust on "Volte-Face". One highlight I will comment on is the keyboard breakdown on the title track. Now that really was something I don't think I've heard before and really makes the song stand out, but maybe a little too much.

All in all, it's not bad, just not what I was expecting.

streetcarp19 | 3/5 |