Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink CD (album) cover

IN THE LAND OF GREY AND PINK

Caravan

Canterbury Scene

ProgHappy
4 stars Not quite a perfect album, but very good nevertheless. Hearing that they were related to Camel (a truly awesome band), I decided to buy 'If I Could do it Again, I'd do it all over You', and was slightly disappointed, but reviews that Caravan were still finding their sound. After listening to the title track, I decided I must have 'In the Land of Grey and Pink', and was pleasantly surprised.

This has a better sound that 'IICDIAOA, IDIAOY', even though it has a slightly poppy song (Golf Girl), but is very catchy and has a very nice combination of instruments and sounds, giving very pleasant texture and depth. 'Winter Wine' is a very melodic piece with very nice drumming, slightly drifting away from the Canterbury sound (I particularly like the lyrics!) 'Love to Love You' is quite catchy, but not very notable. The last two tracks are of superlative quality, only to be selected by Britain's finest butler for the celebratory ear-fest. Some quite brilliant playing.

This is the definitive CARAVAN sound, and no fan of Canterbury should miss out on it.

ProgHappy | 4/5 |