Holger Czukay - Movies CD (album) cover

Holger Czukay

5 stars Oh, my God, this is Heaven, which has nothing to do with 7-11. This is a 4.5 kind of deal, but five stars is just as fair, especially since I don't see my calculator having a 3 in the integer part.

So, basically, we have this veteran bass guitarist/sound painter and a bunch of guys who altogether constituted a legendary experimental-jazz-avantgarde group Can. A year later the group dissipated. Then, the bassist Holger Czukay got the hang of the mid-Eastern music that used to play on his radio. What a crazy idea it is - to come up with tasty tracks that could function as soundtracks to those mid-Eastern movies. Here you have catchy songs with mind-blowing vocal performances that otherwise wouldn't work if they were just played alone. You also have instrumental tracks that are really fun and loaded with quality melodies and textures. If you are not tired of insane, virtuous, eclectic, and innovative proggy material, get this album and give it a listen when the mood is right. I hope you will thank me later.

1. 'Cool in the Pool' - *****