Holger Czukay - Movies CD (album) cover

MOVIES

Holger Czukay

Krautrock

Dayvenkirq
5 stars Oh, my God, this is Heaven, which has nothing to do with 7-11. This is a 4.5 kind of deal, but five stars is just as fair, especially since I don't see my calculator having a 3 in the integer part.

So, basically, we have this veteran bass guitarist/sound painter and a bunch of guys who altogether constituted a legendary experimental-jazz-avantgarde group Can. A year later the group dissipated. Then, the bassist Holger Czukay got the hang of the mid-Eastern music that used to play on his radio. What a crazy idea it is - to come up with tasty tracks that could function as soundtracks to those mid-Eastern movies. Here you have catchy songs with mind-blowing vocal performances that otherwise wouldn't work if they were just standing alone. You also have instrumental tracks that are really fun and loaded with decent melodies and textures. If you are not tired of insane, virtuous, eclectic, and innovative proggy material, get this album before it's sold out (unless you are one of those people who downloads stuff) and hear it when the mood is right. I hope you will thank me later.

1. 'Cool in the Pool' - *****