Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick CD (album) cover

THICK AS A BRICK

Jethro Tull

Prog Folk

fuxi
3 stars I agree with some other reviewers that this album has been overrated. I fail to see why it is so popular. In my opinion, a whole load of classic Tull albums deserve four or five stars (e.g. STAND UP, BENEFIT, A PASSION PLAY, MINSTREL IN THE GALLERY and even WAR CHILD), but THICK AS A BRICK simply sounds too repetitive.

All the best bits of the album are included in a 'condensed' version on that excellent live-album, BURSTING OUT. When I listen to the original THICK AS A BRICK, I invariably get bored. One reason for this may be that I originally discovered BRICK three or four years after A PASSION PLAY, which is similar in structure. A PASSION PLAY lacks the hymn-like main melody that is BRICK's great strength, but thanks to its varied instrumentation, it sounds more colourful than its predecessor. Apart from guitar-organ-flute-bass-drums, A PASSION PLAY also has saxophone on it, glockenspiel and a whole arsenal of quirky synthesizers! No wonder The Tangent have expressed (on their website) special affection for A PASSION PLAY - not for THICK AS A BRICK.

fuxi | 3/5 |