Pink Floyd - The Wall CD (album) cover

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

4.05 | 1963 ratings

jrv07
5 stars In my opinion The Wall is equally great as DSOTM, WYWH & (the underrated) Animals in it's own way.

First of all, I believe this album should be listened in its entirety from start to finish to really 'feel' the album, because it is a concept album (a story, a theme & no gaps) --> ''It is more a theater piece than rock & roll'' - Roger Waters. The first few times I listened it I found it enjoyable to figure out the story of the Wall and what it meant.

The sound of the Wall is something to take a good look it. It is more accessible and less complex than previous albums, but it is still a very Floydish sound: The Wall makes you feel wholly engaged through its accessibility and I think that's why this is a perfect place to start if you're new to Pink Floyd. If you also feel the immersion which the Wall offers me, trust me, you will become a Pink Floyd enthusiast! Once you check out other albums, you will find that each Pink Floyd album sounds different and is a piece on its own with its characteristics.

Thoughts on musical elements: - Waters voice sounds a bit like a lunatic, I think it fits the music. He feels what he's singing. - Gilmours guitar will blow you away, but he is less present than in other albums. - Special effects makes it more like a film, strengthens the feeling of listening to a story. - The songs are well-constructed, the album is well-produced.

The dominance of Waters in the band has created the Wall, it's a fact. Throw aside the bitter feelings of the band heading for the break-up, and respect the Wall as one of the artistic masterpieces of the 20th century, as it deserves to be called just that!

jrv07 | 5/5 |