Tool - Opiate (EP) CD (album) cover

Experimental/Post Metal

3 stars "Opiate" was my first contact with the band "Tool". I heard positive comments about them and then decided to check. A cover weird, like a priest praying bizarre. I could not stop thinking about the title and religion, as he says "Karl Marx". The first instrument to attract my attention was the bass, more precisely, "Paul D'Amour." "Danny Carey" shows his talent in drumsticks in the track "Sweat". I put myself to think about their live performance and in this "Ep" could analyze them, "Cold and Ugly" and "Jerk-Off". "Opiate / The Gaping Lotus Experience" confirms the critical context related to religion. As already mentioned "Cold and Ugly" does not disappoint, all members aligned in a strong and aggressive music. "Jerk-Off" is a moment in the spotlight for the booming voice of "Maynard James Keenan". "Part of Me" is a track more cracked, worked on the line "Prog." The end result is very satisfying album. There are so many elements of "Prog" at first sight, but this was only the beginning for them.
Vobiscum | 3/5 |