Genesis - Invisible Touch CD (album) cover

4 stars Invisible Touch is an album that is heavily-maligned, mostly by those who wish that Genesis continued to release Selling England By The Pound clones for the rest of their career. When analyzed on the basis of being a pop-prog fusion in the mid 1980's, IT is an absolute triumph. The straightforward pop songs include the title track, Land of Confusion, In Too Deep and Throwing It All Away. Each one of those songs attained massive chart success, and resentment from prog-heads who wanted to keep Genesis for themselves. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight was issued as a radio-edit, but the LP version is a dark, well developed example of 80's prog. Domino is a fantastic song with several movements, and has been a concert highlight in every tour since it was released.

I can understand the displeasure of many 70's prog heads who do not like the direction Genesis took beginning with And Then There Were Three. From my perspective, I was 14 years old when IT was released, and it was an accessible gateway to me to the entire world of prog music which I had not yet discovered. I will always hold this album in high regard for introducing me to the genre.

Cfgenesis | 4/5 |