Genesis - Selling England By The Pound CD (album) cover

SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND

Genesis

gimsom
4 stars Genesis is a band that I doubt would I ever like it. They are far, far more less technicly skilled than Yes, which made me doubt them. I bought this album only becose it's #2 after Close to the Edge on prog archives (at the time being) and also becose it was so cheap. Widely considired even as the ultimate masterpiece I had to chech this album. Let's say that I don't regret at all buying it.

Dancing With The Moonlit Knight : Exellent start! Beautiful singing (Gabriel has interresting voice) and partly gets very proggy. Good start! 4.7/5

I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) : Pop song and Genesis first hit. Many prog fans seem even to hate it. I like it becose its actually ver funny. 4/5

Firth Of Fifth : Starts with great piano. Not my favorite song thought. Maybe bit too long. It just doesn't fit into my taste, but many others will propably enjoy this. 3.8/5

More Fool Me : Phil Collins doing the vocals on this. Not too good song, not special at all. I often just skip this one. 3.5/5

The Battle Of Epping Forest : The worst song on this album and also being the longest one which doubles it. Too long and Gabriel sound actually stupid when trying to imitate. I have no idea what they tried to do with this, since its too serious and long to be even funny. 2.5/5

The Cinema Show : Exellent mini epic. Beautiful at all parts. This and Moonlit Knight are defindely the best songs on the album. I can't choose which is better. Try this even if you had not heard Genesis before. 4.7/5

Aisle Of Plenty : Short and not special song. Not bad either. The Cinema Show would have been an exellent ending song for the album. This unfortunately takes some points off. 3.8/5

4.7 + 4 + 3.8 + 3.5 + 2.5 + 4.7 + 3.8 = 3.375 = 4 stars.

Overall a good album, in some parts exellent. Propably the best album by Genesis. I advice to buy this to an interrested in Genesis.

Is it good ?... Absolutely. Is it a masterpiece ?... Possibly. Is it better than Close to the Edge ?... Never!

gimsom | 4/5 |