Golden Earring - To The Hilt CD (album) cover

TO THE HILT

Golden Earring

DSpitzer
1 stars Okay I understand the difference between a PROG review vs Basic Album Review. Mine will be a basic rock album review as it relates to GE albums.

I assume anyone reading this is thinking about getting this album since they are interested in GE. I am a GE fan. I have over 20 of their albums and have been a fan since about 1982. Cut was their first album I ever heard by them. I have most of their releases from 1970 and on. I do not love every song by GEI write this review in 2012. It is not a review of how it fared in 1976 but rather - is it listenable now?

With this mind -- my review. (1 to 5 stars.)

Overall notes... GE is deep in the 70s world of prog. I think this is their attempt to stand out from YES and KING CRIMSON and related acts. I first discovered this album in about 1985. I became a GE fan based on their early 80s albums and decided to delve into their back catalog. I wanted to like this album. I gave it several listens through. I just could not get into it. At all. This is my LEAST FAVORITE GE album. I wanted to find something to like about this album but it just does not have repeat listening value.

1 ? WHY ME. Light Rocker. Its very funky. Keyboards are more obvious. I felt middle section with the keyboard is very nice. The chorus of "why me" seemed very weak. I only listen to this song once every few years out of nostalgia and then put it away. 1/5

2 ? FACE DANCER. Light Rocker. Acoustic song with Key Boards again. I cannot get into the light airy vocals. I like it when GE gets a little more of an edge in their songs. I found the repetitive guitar part was annoying. The last 2 minutes are very cool. 2/5

3 ? TO THE HILT. Rocker. I do not like this song. It appears unfinished, lazy and by the numbers. 1/5

4 ? NOMAD. Rocker. Its bland. Where are the cool melodies I came to appreciate from the band. There is a cool key board ? guitar exchange in the middle and leads to the long fade out. Its kinda space rock. Of the album, this song I will play somewhat often and the only reason I don't just get rid of the whole album. 3/5

5 ? SLEEPWALKING. Rocker. Another bland start. I wish they would have had more of a catchy chorus. There is some nice guitar and bass parts but not worth the effort. 2/5

6 ? LATIN LIGHTING. Rocker. The guys tried to get some rock and roll going on this. There is a cool guitar riff that is repeated often but it does not save an otherwise boring song. 2/5

7 ? VIOLINS. Funky rocker. This song is over 10 minutes. Okay this song is really two songs in one. 1st half is another boring bland mess. I cant get into it. I usually don't bother. But if you can make it to the 5min 15sec mark there is a distinct shift in the song. It fades out and back in and a nice groove starts up. There are violins (as the title suggests) and its quite enjoyable song. Why they couldn't just make two songs is beyond me. I know? artist integrity. First half of song is 1/5. The second half is 4/5. Just not sure its worth the first 5 mins to get to the end.

DSpitzer | 1/5 |