Muse - The Resistance CD (album) cover

THE RESISTANCE

Muse

Starhammer
2 stars Resisting nostalgia...

I wouldn't say that I'm a 'fan' of Muse, but I do enjoy their music. They are perhaps the biggest modern band in these archives, headlining prestigious festivals and undertaking worldwide arena tours, their popularity has risen stratospherically in recent years. I was given the opportunity to watch them on their tour supporting The Resistance, and whilst it was a truly fantastic show, it also cast a rose-tinted light on this album. Now that the memories have faded a little, I am able to present a more subjective viewpoint.

This is probably Muse's most commercial album to date, but are they selling out here? I don't think so. Well certainly not compared to providing music for the Twilight soundtrack! But I've never considered Muse to be particularly progressive anyway so whether this is '90125' or 'Sing to God' is neither here nor there.

Overall it is a solid, radio friendly release with memorable tracks and few weak moments. In fact, the album's low point is probably also it's most ambitious, the three part Exogenesis symphonic-suite. This is completely unlike anything the band have tried before, and whilst the attempt is admirable, it feels more like and optional extra than the main event.

The Verdict: Would this inspire me to start listening to Muse? Not likely, but it will still appeal to fans of the band.

Starhammer | 2/5 |