THE RESISTANCE

Buy MUSE Music
Studio Album, released in 2009

1. Uprising (5:06)
2. Resistance (5:46)
3. Undisclosed Desires (3:56)
4. United States Of Eurasia (+Collateral Damage) (5:47)
5. Guiding Light (4:13)
6. Unnatural Selection (6:54)
7. MK Ultra (4:06)
8. I Belong To You (+Mon Coeur S'Ouvre A Ta Voix) (5:38))
9. Exogenesis: Symphony Part 1 (Overture) (4:18)
10. Exogenesis: Symphony Part 2 (Cross-Pollination) (3:56)
11. Exogenesis: Symphony Part 3 (Redemption) (4:37)

Search MUSE The Resistance lyrics

Search MUSE The Resistance tabs

- Mattew Bellamy / guitars, voice
- Christopher Wolstenholme / bass
- Dominic James Howard / drums

Released September 14th. Bonus DVD includes "making of" feature.

Thanks to progshine for the addition
and to Snow Dog for the last updates

MUSE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MUSE The Resistance Music

The 2nd LawThe 2nd Law
Warner Bros. 2012
Live At Rome Olympic Stadium (Blu-Ray/CD)Live At Rome Olympic Stadium (Blu-Ray/CD)
Warner Bros. 2013
ShowbizShowbiz
Maverick 1999
AbsolutionAbsolution
Warner Bros / Wea 2004
H.A.A.R.P.: Live from Wembley (Region 2 DVD)H.A.A.R.P.: Live from Wembley (Region 2 DVD)
Warner Brothers 2008
Hullaballo Soundtrack (Bonus CD)Hullaballo Soundtrack (Bonus CD)
WARNER BROS UK 2007
WALT BARR ~ EAST WINDS ~ 1979 US LP MUSE MR 5210 US $15.13 Buy It Now 53m 6s
CLIFFORD JORDAN Remembering LP (USA Muse VG+++) US $9.34 Buy It Now 1h 46m
An Ancient Muse - Loreena McKennitt CD Sealed New US $8.92 Buy It Now 2h 15m
MUSE Absolution Album Sampler RARE PROMO VINYL 2003 US $249.99 Buy It Now 2h 53m
MUSE CD Asbsolution 14 Track Brand NEW 2003 album w/ STICKERED Sleeve UK US $10.07 Buy It Now 3h 3m
MUSE : " STARLIGHT " . " SUPERMASSIVE BLACK HOLE " .7" PICTURE DISC 2006 SEALED US $49.99 Buy It Now 4h
Between You & Me, Meeka Muse, Excellent US $12.89 Buy It Now 4h 43m
Muse - Black Holes and Revelations CD NEW US $12.12 Buy It Now 4h 50m
MUSE - SHOWBIZ CD. US $1.66 [0 bids]
Blues Train by Big Joe Turner (CD, Mar-1994, Muse (USA) Rare CD Like New Cond US $35.00 Buy It Now 5h 15m
MUSE - Showbiz (UK 12 Track CD Album) US $6.71 Buy It Now 5h 20m
PRIAM'S NEIGHBORS: Quantum Muse LP rare Rock & Pop US $75.00 Buy It Now 5h 30m
MARK MURPHY: SINGS NAT'S CHOICE * NM- MUSE * BOB MAGNUSSON US $8.00 Buy It Now 5h 53m
SEALED SONNY PHILLIPS MY BLACK FLOWER LP!! MUSE RECORDS MR 5118 US $14.98 Buy It Now 6h 4m
Absolution - Muse CD Sealed ! New ! US $7.12 Buy It Now 6h 5m
Ricky Ford Looking Ahead Cassette *SEALED* Muse Jazz US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 13m
Johnny Lytle-"Fast Hands" LP / Muse Records 1981 US $3.00 [0 bids]
Stereophonics - Pick A Part That's New Signed Autographed Cd Muse, U2 US $16.81 Buy It Now 6h 53m
Jolin Tsai MUSE in Live Taiwan Ltd CD+2-DVD+Poster (The Great Artist) US $44.68 Buy It Now 7h
Public Enemy - Muse Sick N Hour Mess Age - New Cassette US $32.50 Buy It Now 7h 3m
MUSE B - Sides & Rarities 2CD US $19.90 Buy It Now 7h 23m
Timo Maas Music For The Maases 2 CD Muse Lustral Driver US $9.78 Buy It Now 7h 26m
MUSE "BLACK HOLES & REVELATIONS" THAI PROMO CD +RARE+ US $9.99 [0 bids]
MUSE "THE RESISTANCE" THAI PROMO CD +RARE+ US $9.99 [0 bids]
Muse - The 2nd Law - Limited Edition Digipak CD - SEALED US $13.43 Buy It Now 7h 39m
MUSE CD Black Holes And Revelations Brand New album UK US $10.07 Buy It Now 7h 47m
Muse - Arcana - Press Kit M- Condition US $6.99 Buy It Now 7h 59m
Muse - 2nd Law (Limited Edition CD/DVD) US $17.29 Buy It Now 8h 13m
Muse T-Shirt!!! US $20.00 Buy It Now 8h 43m
Matthew BELLAMY of 'MUSE.' Superb Hand SIGNED 8X10" Concert Photo. Fine. US $2.02 [2 bids]
HK Cd CANDY LO Muse CANTON 2000 ??? US $15.99 Buy It Now 8h 46m
WILLIS JACKSON: HEADED AND GUTTED * PAT MARTINO * WHITE LABEL PROMO * NM MUSE US $16.00 Buy It Now 9h
MUSE - Showbiz 2-LP New SEALED US $21.99 Buy It Now 9h 25m
MUSE Live At iTunes Festival 2012 CD & DVD US $15.90 Buy It Now 9h 28m
Muse Origin Of Symmetry Limited Deluxe Gatefold 2LP Set US $50.41 Buy It Now 9h 38m
Muse The 2nd Law Double Vinyl LP 180gm New Album Released 1st Oct 2012 US $36.96 Buy It Now 9h 39m
Red Garland feat Leo Wright-AUTOGRAPHED-I Left My Heart-Muse 5311 US $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 43m
MUSE SHOWBIZ MCI SEALED ISRAEL ISRAELI CD OOP US $60.00 Buy It Now 9h 47m
LIVE 70's ROCK TRIPLE LP - ASYLUM ML-801 - "NO NUKES:THE MUSE CONCERTS..." US $12.50 Buy It Now 10h 10m
(CD) Electric Muse Present 5th Anniversary - Various /2CDs / Korean Pop US $17.99 Buy It Now 10h 11m
Helen Humes - Helen LP Muse Records NM Vinyl US $4.99 Buy It Now 10h 12m
FAITH & MUSE - EVIDENCE OF HEAVEN NEW CD US $22.34 Buy It Now 10h 15m
EDDIE LOCKJAW DAVIS The Heavy Hitter MUSE RECORDS Sealed Vinyl LP US $18.00 Buy It Now 10h 35m
Muse - Resistance (CD 2009) Digipak {CD} D0314 US $7.21 Buy It Now 10h 40m
CEDAR WALTON "Eastern Rebellion II" TIMELESS MUSE RECORDS TI318 LP VINYL US $24.99 Buy It Now 10h 41m
Cedar Walton - Firm Roots NM Promo LP (Muse, 1976) US $13.99 Buy It Now 10h 52m
The Resistance Muse CD US $6.84 Buy It Now 11h 24m
Muse - Absolution 2 x Vinyl LP US $60.50 Buy It Now 11h 36m
* Chris Spheeris - Dancing With the Muse US $3.97 Buy It Now 11h 45m
Muse ?- Exogenesis: Symphony 1-3, Vinyl LP, Brand New and Sealed RSD US $60.00 Buy It Now 11h 49m
MUSE EP Original 1998 UK Dangerous debut #391 of 999 Excellent Condition US $549.00 [0 bids]
MTV 2 Presents: Shortlist 2004 Nominees / LIKE NEW Muse, Killers, Wilco, R Adams US $1.00 Buy It Now 12h 11m
MUSE - SHOWBIZ [MUSE] - NEW CD US $4.75 Buy It Now 12h 15m
Muse-Origin of Symmetry [Digipack] CD Enhanced, Limited Edition Very Good US $5.45 Buy It Now 12h 15m
MUSE love bug STICKER old ex-tour merchandise US $4.19 Buy It Now 12h 36m
Devil to Pay Fate Is Your Muse - Ape Machine Mos Generator Mothership 12" vinyl US $4.99 [0 bids]
Members Only (Nelson Rangell-Sax) - EX in shrink - Muse Records 1987 WATCH VID! US $5.00 Buy It Now 12h 59m
THE CELTIC MUSE - NEW CD US $11.88 Buy It Now 13h 19m
MYSTERIA - TEMPTING THE MUSE - NEW CD US $12.31 Buy It Now 13h 21m
*PROMO* Absolution: Muse 2004 LIKE NEW w/GOLD PROMO STAMP RARE PROMOTIONAL US $16.99 [0 bids]
PAT MARTINO - LIVE ! 1973 Japan Mini LP CD SRCS9403 Limited Ediition oop MUSE US $48.00 Buy It Now 13h 55m
Faith & The Muse - Evidence Of Heaven (CD New) US $11.67 Buy It Now 14h 5m
WALTER BISHOP JR. Speak Low MUSE RECORDS Stereo Jazz LP MR 5066 US $10.00 Buy It Now 14h 5m
Mitch Elrod - Muse Of Intent (1993) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 14h 8m
Annwyn, Beneath the Waves, Faith and the Muse, Acceptable US $10.78 Buy It Now 14h 8m
Vera Causa, Faith and the Muse, Acceptable US $11.69 Buy It Now 14h 10m
Elyria, Faith and the Muse, Acceptable US $10.00 Buy It Now 14h 11m
Rockabye Baby! - Lullaby Renditions Of Muse [CD New] US $13.32 Buy It Now 14h 22m
Tribute To Muse - String Quart Tribute To Muse [CD New] US $16.08 Buy It Now 14h 24m
Public Enemy Muse Sick-N-Hour Mess Age Orig Unremastered 21 songs Explicit CD US $2.99 Buy It Now 14h 37m
Muse EP CD Number 251 of 999 - VERY RARE!! US $399.00 [0 bids]
MUSE "Live At Rome Olympic Stadium" CD & DVD 2013 *Music concert film US $11.77 [0 bids]
SUNFLY KARAOKE KOOL HITS CD+G Glee,Justin Bieber,Train,BOB,Kesha,Muse, A Lambert US $9.33 Buy It Now 14h 58m
MEGA RARE MUSE ORIGIN OF SYMMETRY UK-ORIG 2LP Vinyl Gatefold w/inner MASH93LP US $79.99 [0 bids]
Muse - Hullabaloo Soundtrack KOREA 2CD *SEALED* OBI US $10.99 Buy It Now 15h
Bell / Sentimental Muse CD US $8.72 Buy It Now 15h 30m
Sacred Muse Gloriae Dei Cantores / Rubbra / Patterson CD US $15.95 Buy It Now 15h 32m
Live at Rome Olympic Stadium [CD + Blu-Ray] [Digipak] * by Muse (CD,... US $12.99 [0 bids]
George Coleman/Tete Montoliu - "MEDITATION" Timeless Muse LP TI-312 - 1979 US $5.99 [0 bids]
MUSE - Global Coverage (Dark Grey):T-shirt NEW - SMALL ONLY US $28.02 Buy It Now 16h 19m
MUSE:Crossroads:T-shirt NEW:SMALL ONLY US $28.02 Buy It Now 16h 21m
Elyria, Faith and the Muse, Good US $10.00 Buy It Now 16h 21m
MUSE - Neutron Star:T-shirt NEW - LARGE ONLY US $28.02 Buy It Now 16h 27m
MUSE - Soul Alight (Eclipse):T-shirt NEW - XLARGE ONLY US $28.02 Buy It Now 16h 35m
MUSE - Soul Alight (Eclipse):T-shirt NEW - LARGE ONLY US $28.02 Buy It Now 16h 36m
MUSE - Soul Alight (Eclipse):T-shirt NEW - SMALL ONLY US $28.02 Buy It Now 16h 37m
MUSE - 2nd Law Logo:T-shirt NEW - MEDIUM ONLY US $28.02 Buy It Now 16h 40m
MUSE - Tiger:T-shirt NEW - MEDIUM ONLY US $28.02 Buy It Now 16h 43m
MUSE - Waves:T-shirt NEW - YOUTH MEDIUM ONLY US $28.02 Buy It Now 16h 48m
HEAR Teen Popcorn Soul 45 CYNTHIA MUSE Kangaroo/High School Play DOT 16335 STOCK US $10.99 Buy It Now 17h 4m
MUSE ABSOLUTION (2003) + 1 BONUS TRACK JAPAN CD CTCM-65049 US $32.99 Buy It Now 17h 5m
MUSE ORIGIN OF SYMMETRY + 1 BONUS TRACK JAPAN CD CTCM-65001 US $29.99 Buy It Now 17h 5m
Lick Library: Learn To Play Muse [DVD] US $58.95 Buy It Now 17h 16m
Red Rodney Bird Lives! lp 1974 Stereo Muse Jazz WLP NM US $5.00 Buy It Now 17h 17m
The Celtic Muse Various Artists CD US $11.90 Buy It Now 17h 28m
ERIC KLOSS/BARRY MILES Together (Muse LP MR 5112) VG+ US $1.99 [0 bids]
RED RODNEY Red, White and Blues (Muse LP) VG++ vinyl/Richie Cole, Roland Hanna US $1.99 [0 bids]
SONNY STITT: Tune-Up! (Muse MR 5334) New, sealed vinyl! Barry Harris US $5.99 [0 bids]
Newest 2010 POP Karaoke CD+G Disc Taylor Swift Muse Iyaz The Script Kesha New v2 US $8.95 Buy It Now 17h 48m
Faith & The Muse - Elyria (CD New) US $11.71 Buy It Now 19h

More places to buy MUSE music online Buy MUSE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MUSE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MUSE The Resistance ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(15%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(37%)

MUSE The Resistance reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars Re-classify Muse as Symphonic Prog..or Pop?

Many mixed reviews on "The Resistance", I received the album in vinyl box set form and have given it a few spins and very impressed overall, the band are trying to break new ground here but may puzzle some fans.

"Uprising , Resistance , Undisclosed Desires" are very catchy Muse songs in style, though during "United States of Eurasia/Collateral Damage" and "Guiding Light" I really thought I was listening to Queen, should that be a compliment ? "Unnatural Selection" is classic Muse, a standout track.

As something of a latecomer to the world of Muse I may be a bit more open minded and receptive to new ideas the band are trying, this album is not "Absolution" as they seem to have strayed into some traditional classical territory on "Exogenesis: Symphony "...

I really enjoy this section of the album, though I think it could alienate many fans. As something of a fan of classical piano music I noticed influences from Chopin (Nocturne No.9 Op.2) on "United States of Eurasia". Saint-Saens and Rachmaninov came to mind within the Symphony, very few manage to meld Classical and Rock music successfully though they have managed it seamlessly in "Symphony", especially the opening movement - fabulous!

Overall the album package is very well presented (2Gb memory stick worth a fiver on Ebay), good quality vinyl but I wish they'd included the 5.1 surround DVD-A, then I would have felt I'd got my fifty quid's worth...

Send comments to mystic fred (BETA) | Report this review (#239693) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 17, 2009

Review by chopper
3 stars You can play a good game of "spot the song" here. "Uprising" starts off sounding like a glam rock version of Battles' "Atlas", then steals the riff from Billy Idol's "White Wedding". "Resistance" features a piano figure which sounds like the one from U2's "New Year's Day" and "United States of Eurasia" starts off like "Let It Be" before almost launching into "We are the Champions". Yes, Muse manage to sound more like Queen than Queen on this one.

Despite this, Muse have pulled off a very enjoyable album here. Powerful production and they can produce the good live as they showed last night on Jools Holland. Lots of classical influences here and of course we have the three-part sci-fi epic "Exogenesis Symphony" to show their prog credentials.

Despite laying themselves open to charges of plagiarism, this is a good, if not particularly prog apart from the last track, album.

Send comments to chopper (BETA) | Report this review (#240313) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 19, 2009

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover and E&O Teams
4 stars OK, I follower guide by one person, whose opinion I quite appreciate and give "The Resistance" a chance. I already had it since yesterday, but didn't want to listen this before their previous releases. I'll try to evaluate this, but I can't compare, which prevents.

It's new. Undisclosed Discoveries presents it on full scale. This is not necessary bad, but this moves their sounds closer towards pop. Very electronic sounding album. There's a genre of music, which describes it better, but I forgot the name. I understand this as some kind of concept album, even I so far didn't understand the story. I should recognize it when I saw the name of album and also songs. But after seeing United States Of Eurasia and proven by listening, it reminded me 1984 (as I said, it can be nineteen eighty four tribute), done in Queen style when singing chorus. But 3:43 towards the end of song is some also well known melody. Maybe something by Ennio Morriccone, or even some past masters (17-18-19th century). Nevermind. If it's plagiarist behaviour, then one eccentric prog related band is stealing from other prog related, also eccentric (in matter of their times, Freddie was quite drag force of Queen). However, one with rating not connected thing, I don't like how they look (this Green Day style for young), or how they behave on stage. But mindless numbers of stupid fans, that's something what every very famous artist have. Some enjoy it, but some also have other fans. Like people who keep posting reviews here. Or those who can think about music, not just "listen to radio". Because it's hard to decide whether they're trying to become prog, or to walk their beaten path.

Every song here follows one thing that both pleases and haunts me in music. Melody, when there's tone and you expect something that will continue (from your memory, that you heard similar song in past) and it actually do continue in way you're expecting it to go. That's not so prog, because it cuts effort to be one in half (and divides it into four thirds. Don't ask me why, you also don't wonder why Discworld had five elephants, but have just four now). But we're talking about prog-related, your rating system have to be adaptable and fair to these non-prog ones. And also, I like this record. And also they managed to give pieces together with good skill.

4(+), because the Muses whispered it to me.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#240331) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 19, 2009

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars A new "Muse" album is always an important rock moment in my agenda.

Just because I am a long time fan, and I was particularly curious to discover "The Resistance" since I'm going to experience my second concert with the band in November (Antwerp). It is true to say, that their live sets are really great. As a cue, I have to tell you that I was rather charmed with "Absolution" and only moderately with "Black Holes".

So, what about this release?

Well, that their music is still very energetic and catchy ("Uprising", "Resistance"). Some classical "Muse" item for "Undisclosed Desires" won't let the fan in unknown territories Another very good song which closes a fine trilogy of openers.

We are also used that their albums start quite brilliantly, but were tending to decrease in quality towards the last third of their works; so let's wait for this one?

"US Of Eurasia" is a fine rock ballad à la "Unintended". An interesting Oriental break speeds it up at half time and provides some originality in this song. The quiet piano finale conveys such a tranquil flavour indeed...Another good one just as "Unnatural Selection" which is another winner: a typical "Muse" rock song as we all know very well. It starts rather slow and then all of a sudden, it explodes jolly good as "Muse" can do.

I guess that this song is a brilliant summary of "Muse" music: solid, wild, melodic, pop & catchy. I like this mix extensively. The lenght of the song (almost seven minutes) also allows the band to explore different styles. A quite convincing tune for sure.

It is also true to tell that some passages are somewhat "Queen" oriented. But I can't complain about this.

The next song is quite a classic "Muse" affair: on the heavy rocking edge which is the side that I most prefer with this band ("MK Ultra"). I was never too pleased with their light rock ballads that were filling the last third of some of their previous work. Nothing as such here. Even if "I Belong To You" is somewhat mellow and pompous.

So far this album is fully in line with their previous records (even if upbeat oriented) and there are virtually no reasons at all to be disappointed with this album. The only moment during which the band IS different is of course during the mini-suite "Exogenesis".

An orchestra has been even added to offer some extra dimension to this piece of work. Oriental mood, spacey landscapes: yes this is different to what the band has used their fans so far. And it is warmly welcome to tell you the truth (even if somewhat too classical to my taste).

"The Overture" is grandiose at times, "Cross-Pollination" holds some Gershwin tenderness combined with the power of a true "Muse" track. "Redemption" which is the closing part of this trilogy is probably one of the most melodic "Muse" moment available here. Moving my prog friends.

I am only lacking some more smoother links between the different sections to give a feeling of unity. But anyway, the band tried something different and should be granted for.

To make a long story short, "The Resistance" is a very good rock album (even tinted with prog during the closing track). It sits between "Absolution" (which is my favourite of the band - five stars) and each other previous albums (which I have rated with three stars).

Four stars for this resistance work. I'm looking forward to see them live again in a very near future. I really wonder how they would include "Exogenesis" in their set (if at all possible).

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#240482) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 20, 2009

Review by Conor Fynes
2 stars 'The Resistance' - Muse (3/10)

Alright... I think I've just recovered from (hopefully) my biggest musical dissapointment of 2009. Having not been a huge fan of Muse, I was still very much looking forward to the release of this album. Having heard such great things about how the album was apparently, 'symphonic' and 'progressive,' I naturally had very high hopes that Muse was going to finally release something worthy of being called a 'masterpiece.' It's safe to say that's nothing near masterful at all.

The album is more or less a collection of some listenable, but forgettable pop tracks, one or two good songs ('United States Of Eurasia' and the title track) a poor excuse for a symphony - which I will go into painful detail with - and wait... an Rn'B song? Doesn't sound like a very winning formula to me.

Listening to the album and being dissapointed with the overall product, I had to force myself to get through the shorter songs so I could make my way to the core of the matter; the symphonic 'masterpiece' that Matt Bellamy had alledgedly composed. What it actually turns out to be however, is a smattering of string instruments playing slow, droning arpeggios, and the occasional whimper from Bellamy. Moreover, I was expecting a work of epic proportion; with a proper climax and a progression that crosses over many feelings and emotions. What 'Exogenesis Symphony' turns out to be is three very quiet songs that go absolutely nowhere.

'The Resistance' has left me with a bit of an empty feeling. I laud the band on at least trying to go into unexplored territory though!

They can't all be zingers!

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#241113) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Review by The T
3 stars I had written a long and detailed review of this album but the website crashed on me when I submitted it. Therefore, I will just say:

- The production is great. MUSE are excellent producers now.

- The songwriting is not that great. A few standout tracks ("Unnatural Selection", "The Resistance", "MK Ultra") mask the lesser ones (the whole "Exegesis Symphony").

- Quoting Chopin and Camille Saint-Saens literally just for the sake of doing it proves nothing more than the fact that Bellamy has musical culture way beyond rock. And that he can play, too.

- U2 and QUEEN are constant reference points in many of the tracks (including the title track and the more-than-obvious "United States of Eurasia".) MUSE has stopped sounding like MUSE with the exception of their more dramatic, better crafted songs ("Unnatural Selection".)

- The album is a cliche-fest. But the cliches are applied masterfully.

- The album is a pop record. very good at that. But there's almost nothing here that can match the subversion, the innovation and originality of "Absolution" or even some moments in "Origin of Symmetry" and "Black Holes and Revelations".

- There's really very little "resisting" in "The Resistance". The album is an adaptation to the system by a band that has adopted it for its own benefit.

- It absolutely sucks to have written a LONG review and have an error eliminate it forever. It takes all the will to write reviews away from the reviewer.

- For any prospective PA reviewer: please write your review on MSword or any other word processor, and save it constantly, lest you lose everything and have to write a ridiculous, almost-argument-less review like this one. Do NOT write directly in the album's page.

Send comments to The T (BETA) | Report this review (#241409) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 25, 2009

Review by russellk
3 stars A new MUSE album, another chance to explore the dramatic, bombastic world of Bellamy and co. Unfortunately, in this case, their world proves to be shallower, less bombastic and far less entertaining than I would have hoped.

The album is built around the keyboard more than the guitar, a marked departure from their previous work. However, they still manage to sound like MUSE: a proliferation of arpeggios, straightforward instrumentation and good, solid songwriting see to that. Having waited to review this album, I can't help noticing that many reviewers believe they sound like anything but MUSE: QUEEN, BATTLES, BILLY IDOL, BLONDIE, QUEEN (of course) - and, I'd like to add, ULTRAVOX, all get a mention. I think that's part of listening to a new pop album: our minds hold thousands of songs, and if something we hear rings a bell, the memory starts playing in our head. This happened to me, like it clearly did to other reviewers, so I waited to review the album until the songs took on their own personalities in my head.

In my view this album comes in two parts. The first two thirds is made up of excellent pop songs with a sprinkling of prog sensibilities: 'Uprising' is an in your face, high-rotation, catchy pub song with a sci-fi vibe and a thunderous beat, while the brilliant 'United States of Eurasia' contains one of the best marrying of orchestra and rock band I've heard in a long time. And that QUEEN bit, of course. I truly thought they were going to bust out 'We Are The Champions'. The lovely middle-eastern section really lifts the song, and the Chopin outro emphasises the message, with the sounds of kids playing eventually overshadowed by the aircraft overhead. Good work.

Other songs in the first part also work well. The title track has that odd Beatlesque pre-chorus moment, but I'm all for something different. 'Undisclosed Desires' has attracted a deal of criticism for being an R&B track, but my question is: is it a GOOD R&B track? The answer is yes. The chorus sustains this song and I suspect it will do well in the charts. 'Guiding Light' is the Ultravox moment. On first listen I thought someone had chucked 'Vienna' into the CD player. For all that it takes on its own personality fairly quickly. 'Unnatural Selection' is the obligatory guitar track a la 'Plug In Baby' or 'Hysteria' but is not as convincing as either - ironically, because of the proggy middle section, which seems out of place to me. In fact, a number of these tracks sound like the liver versions of tracks from previous albums, interspersed with odd riffs and piano solos that do nothing but distract from the momentum of the song.

Unfortunately the last third of the album is far less convincing. 'MK Ultra' is nondescript and 'I Belong To You' is completely ruined by the Saint-Saens interpolation. An overt grab for the girls, it sets my teeth on edge. And coming in for real criticism is the thirteen-minute so-called 'Symphony', Exogenesis. This is what the prog community was waiting for, and my goodness have they been disappointed. Boys, boys, didn't anyone tell you a symphony has FOUR movements? This is no more a symphony than is Brahms' 'Lullaby'. 'Arpeggio for Strings, Band and Mumbling Singer' would be a better title. 'Symphony' implies drama. This is as dramatic as a plate of soggy noodles. Truly awful, with no redeeming features. Where's the outrageous, fun-loving MUSE of 'Knights of Cydonia'? You want a proper 10-minute symphony by a rock musician? Check out the truly brilliant four-part 'Second Rendez-Vous' by JEAN-MICHEL JARRE - that's how it's done, lads.

Some keepers here, but ultimately this album doesn't really work, spoiled as it is by the dreadful, underwhelming 'symphony'. Approach with caution.

Send comments to russellk (BETA) | Report this review (#241933) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 28, 2009

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Muse's new release is at first listen quite difficult to get into. I found it the most diverse release thus far of the group and as a result it can be an alienating experience. However, it actually grows on you and, like a form of osmosis, you become immersed in this new approach and quite accepting if you allow it. The magnetic aura that Muse exudes is still present but none of the bombastic material of previous works. There is a more distinct symphonic approach, evident and blatant in than the last 3 tracks. A track by track analysis may be helpful if you are considering owning this album.

The album begins quite well with Uprising, a track that captures the familiar Muse sound, if there is such a thing. The guitar work is as accomplished as ever and the vocals soar over the top.

In Resistance there is the immediate feeling that this is a very different Muse album and there is nothing wrong with that as long as the music is engaging. Thankfully for the most part the album delivers and is as compelling as other albums from this great band.

Undisclosed Desires confirms the suspicion that this is a very different sound, in fact it perhaps takes some getting used to. There is a distinct U2 type of sound particularly with the guitars. The track is more R & B than anything else but is well executed.

Unites State of Eurasia is another loud, guitar heavy track that is okay. Immediately one is reminded of the trademark sound of Queen, 'I Want It All' or 'We are the Champions' would have fitted in well with this track. Guiding Light is a melodic, soft ballad that is pleasant to the ears. It is reminiscent on many of the other softer tracks from previous Muse albums.

Unnatural Selection absolutely terrific. Now this is more like it. There is a very good beat that hooks the listener in from the outset and continues to move the song along at an incessant pace. The song structure is innovative with some wonderful guitar work and an incredible bassline. The multi layered instruments are overshadowed by a very emotive vocal performance. The lyrics are interesting but difficult to hear without the lyric sheet. The massive sound is merged with somnambulistic sections that mellow right out, in particular 3:26 where there is hardly any music at all. At almost 7 minutes, the track is a definite standout on the album and would sound great in concert. The end section is heavy and caps off the best track on the album.

MK Ultra, despite the title, is not a song about Mortal Kombat, it is actually a pleasant track with very good guitar throughout. Nothing special but still not a throwaway either.

I Belong to you etc etc takes us into different territory where Muse have never sounded so diverse. There is, dare I say it, almost a hip hop feel and it is not exactly a welcome change. The song is kind of catchy if you let it grab you. The piano sounds excellent on each track of the album and in this case it enhances the sound, saving the track. There is more of a progressive feel to the track as a result as far as time signatures are concerned. It takes a few listens but eventually I accepted this approach. At 2:09 it stops and moves into a somber, melancholy section. The woodwind section at 4:40 enhances the atmosphere and adds another dimension.

Exogenesis: Symphony Part 1 (Overture) begins the massive multi movement suite with an orchestra section that is unexpected but very uplifting. The high pitched vocals exude an angelic, majestic quality and the result is a compelling piece of music.

Exogenesis: Symphony Part 2 (Cross-Pollination) begins with an accomplished piano interlude played with precision. The dramatic scene is set for part 2 of the epic. Once again it is unfamiliar territory for this band but pleasant enough. This bold musical diversion may alienate many fans but hook in many others at the same time. There is no doubt that the musicianship is virtuoso in these instrumental sections. It is a much more refined, gentle, patient approach, without the urgency of previous tracks. At 1:50 the wall of sound thankfully locks in with huge guitars and drums prominent. The structure at times defies logic but it is certainly never dull as you are never sure which direction the music will take. It takes us on a journey with many detours. I love that piece at 2:58 when the sublime violin sounds pad out the sound.

Exogenesis: Symphony Part 3 (Redemption) climaxes the epic on a high note. It begins with minimalist piano that is slow, meandering but intriguing to the ear. This would appeal to the average piano music connoisseur. The track concludes with a very patient, array of sweeping chords and soaring vocals. I would have preferred that all 3 tracks had been merged into one track at about 13 minutes rather than split like this.

This could well be Muse's most ambitious, most emotional album to date and as a result may not appeal to everyone. It becomes difficult to digest at first but there are so many highlights and great instrumental sections that it is still a very accomplished album, though by no means to the standard of excellence of such Muse albums as 'Absolution' or 'Origin of Symmetry'. Perhaps it is unfair to judge this on the merits of these albums as Muse have decided to move into a new AOR direction, but it is difficult not to compare as we Muse fans have come to expect so much from this innovative power trio. However, despite the flaws, the journey you embark on with this album is enjoyable and quite a pleasant experience.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#243533) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Review by Gatot
4 stars And endless red tape to keep the truth confined

As you might have known through my reviews on Muse so far, I am actually not into the kind of its music even though it does not mean I don't like it. It's just a matter of longevity ... a test by which until how long I can keep the music in the future. The longevity tests that I have made for albums like Yes 'Relayer', Genesis 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway', King Crimson 'In the Court of Crimson King', ELP 'Tarkus', Gentle Giant 'The Power and The Glory' and many other legendary albums have succeeded in fact more than thirty (30) years and I still can enjoy them with no boringness at all. But I don't know with Muse, really. But, to say that the music is a mundane one, I don't think it's a wise standpoint, in my view. That's why when I got this UK pressing CD that was given to me by my sister Didy last week when she returned back from UK, I kept thinking how long can I survive listening the kind of music like this. I know that Muse is now a BIG thing in rock music industry where their albums as well as concerts were attended by thousands crowd. So I admire them on this.

As I am a prog reviewer, I have tried my best to view this album from a musical composition using five dimensions: melody, harmonies, complexities, change of style and structural integrity. This album ranks quite high on melody and harmonies, as well as structural integrity. I don't think you would challenge me on this because all songs contained here are basically melodious in nature. And I salute Muse on this skill. The harmonies resulting from the interaction among instruments, programming as well as vocals are also excellent. While the album moves the music in similar style from start to end with various melodies among songs, the album seems like cohesive as a whole. Therefore the album passes the test on structural integrity. The album scores medium on changes of style between one segment to another as some songs have good changes of style with smooth transition like 'Unnatural Selection'.

For some reason I enjoy this album very much despite there is very little complexity with the composition, but I enjoy it ...Well, sometime I need something easy and upbeat like this one. The opening track 'Uprising' is a simple composition with great grooves and interesting lyrics. The power of the album is basically on the solid message they convey to the world on various issues. The title track is also a nice composition. On 'United States of Eurasia' I can sense a heavy influence from Queen and eastern music. The melody on the eastern music is really nice and innovative. It's an excellent track and one of my favorites. Another fave is 'Unnatural Selection' which basically an excellent rocker with sudden change into an ambient bluesy styles in the middle of the track. It's really nice. 'MK Ultra' is also an excellent composition especially on combining guitar and keyboard, moving the vocal in energetic way with some musical riffs. The album contains an epic on 'Exogenesis' that comprises three movements with heavy influence of classical music.

Overall, it's hard to deny that this is an excellent album from Muse. Keep on proggin' ..!!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#245168) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 18, 2009

Review by TheGazzardian
3 stars When I purchased this CD from the local record chain, the guy at the counter looked at me and said, "That's a really good album."

"Good," I said, although I had my reservations. Could he understand my musical taste, which these days involves ordering more and more music online because what I want can't be found among stores such as the one he was working in?

But that had been the trend of late. Whenever I bought a new album this year at the record shop, I would always be told how good it was by the people behind the counter. And while, I haven't purchased anything from them this year that was really amazing yet, they've always told me that I had picked a good album. And so far, this year, I've bought almost exclusively prog or prog- related music from them. I suppose that they are music lovers, just like me, and that they recognise creativity in music. Perhaps they, too, shop for music primarily on the internet where the selection is vast, but know that among the music they sell, the likes of Dream Theater, The Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree, and Muse are more likely to lead listeners down the road of wanting that music.

With that in mind, I decided to take his words at face value, and listened to "The Resistance" with expectations of good music.

The first few tracks, from Uprising to Unnatural Selection, are great rocking tracks. Listening to them with the volume turned up, I can't help but move my body around to the catchiness in the music. Unfortunately, they have already, for the most part, faded in awesomeness over multiple listens, which is a bit of a disappointment.

One thing I'd like to point out is that in United States of Eurasia, Muse really manages to sound like Queen at points, mostly with the multi-part vocals. It is a nice, epic track, and one of my favorite of the first half.

As a further side note, I found the keyboards in Uprising sounded very familiar, as though they actually came from another Muse song. I was concerned that I'd be hearing a lot of echoes like that throughout the album, but thankfully that was the only place where I got that feeling.

I Belong To You is a bit of a quieter, more romantic piece that even have some french added in that is actually part of the opera Samson and Delilah. While it's not quite the same as writing their own classical-themed music, like many Prog rock acts do, you have to give Muse props for integrating opera into their music, and it works quite well. I must admit that this is one of my favorite tracks on the album so far and the one that has held up best over multiple listens (other than their epic, that is).

The gears really shift with Exogenesis, the 12+ minute epic at the end of the album. We are treated with some strongly classically-influenced music with a lot of piano and string instruments tossed in, and it is less based on the vocals than the rest of the album, more on the music. I really appreciate it. One part even reminded me a bit of "Rhapsody in Blue".

The way that Muse displays the track shows some of the difference in aesthetics between them and a "real" prog rock band; if a band such as Yes, Flower Kings, etc. had done this track, it would have been called: Exogensis Symphony: Overture/Cross-Pollination/Redemption.

This album doesn't quite bear up over multiple listens but it is a great combination of hard rocking material that really pumps you up in the front, and some more gentle, classical-oriented music at the end. Overall, a great 3 star album.

Send comments to TheGazzardian (BETA) | Report this review (#256846) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 19, 2009

Review by richardh
2 stars Must admit straight away that this album is a big dissapoinment to me. The previous album (Black Holes And Revelations) had some thrilling prog moments while Absolution before that is a fantastic energetic effort full of great songs.The Resistance on the other hand is just flat and over stretched seeming to me like an ageing band that is struggling with its direction and now lacking the adventurous spirit that carried itself into the limelight in the first place. The Orwellian themes of being oppressed just seems very artificial and perhaps too 'right on' .This is no distopian nightmare more restless night wondering if you remembered to put the rubbish out for early morning collection.

Am I being too harsh(?!) Previous reviews suggest this has good qualites and certainly it can't be denied that its well produced with plenty of melody throughout.They've also had a stab at something proggy with Exogenesis but I find it all a bit too ponderous and again lacking in any real excitement.Matt Bellamy is an awesome talent but the question for me is whether he has outgrown the band and would be better able to express himself with more 'qualified' musicians capable of appreciating his talent and therefore challenging him to achieve greater heights.In a similar situation many decades ago a certain Mr K Emerson came to that conclusion.

Send comments to richardh (BETA) | Report this review (#268011) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
1 stars After the proggy Absolution and the harder-edged alternative rock Black Holes, The resistance comes with a definitely poppier sound and on the first listen, most progheads will be pleased with the trio's latest offering. However that feeling soon erodes and segues into disillusion, as the group has become very (I avoid to say completely) derivative. Behind a classy artwork gatefold sleeve, Muse delivers the album I wasn't expecting them to, but then again it was recorded in Italy.

The opening Uprising is a cross of 80's electro-pop and post-punk with the usual Yorke- derived singing, the whole thing sounding like OMD, JD or DM, but in better than all of these, because Muse are good musicians. The title track has an early Radiohead feel with the piano (from Absolution) returning and an interesting "prog" ending. Undisclosed Desires plunges more than ever in 80's electro-pop and here we are dismayed to hear Human League, Spandau Ballet or Japan. WTF, guys!!! Glad I only rented this album >> I'd be in a rage had I spent my money to buy it). United States Of Eurasia has got Queen written all over it and they go as far as doing a bit of Bohemian Rhapsody crossed with We Are The Champions, before veering Arabian Yorke-Mercury-esque. I am appalled here, even if this is impeccably played. I won't comment much on the soppy-sobby whiney Guiding Light or the pre-punk Unnatural Selection with a nice middle section and Hendrix- esque guitar. And I haven't spoken of the lifting that they actually acknowledge from Chopin and Saint-Saens, but since they claim it?..I Belong To You is more in the line of Electric Light Orchestra and so is the three-part mini-suite Exogenesis, both coming with a bunch of strings that comes damn close to a Swiss-cheese fondue, the latter benefiting from a superb illustration in a rather nice booklet.

Is this album as catastrophic as my rating and review point out??? I'm sure any will protest and advance many qualities that I won't deny. But my point is that this kind of album is a rehash of the past, if not a rip-off of it, at least intellectually speaking. And that's what I can't stand, really?. Muse had gotten me used to a better integrity. The Resistance is clearly made to please at the masses (their prerogatives, really), but I'm also entitled not to like it all?. despite its many qualities. .

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#270567) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Review by Tarcisio Moura
4 stars Wow, so many reviews here about this album going from fivestars to one! I am no expert to Muse. I heard some of their work before and really was not moved enough to write a review. Contrary to some people I usually don´t write about things I don´t like, for the feeling that I can be unfair to the artist. After all, just because a Cd falied to please me does not mean it is bad per se. I relember not liking many stuff in one moment on my life and loving it on another. That doesn´t happen very often, but it happens. i rather take no chances. And Muse was far from being a band I loved or hated. I just didn´t get it.

However I was compelled to write about The Resistance. i still don´t think is the kind of album I hear too often, but still you cannot help but reckon its enormous potential, energy, creativity and talent. I guess Mattew Bellamy is one of the most gifted singer/player/songwriter I´ve heard since the new millenium. The guy is simply great, like it or not. And the band does a great job here too. The Resistace is varied, powerful and grows on you with every new listening. Queen seems to be one of the major influences here (the bombastic arrangements and some very opera like backing vocals), but the band is obviously too good to be pigeonholed as copycats of anything.

More often than not I was impressed by the classical influences and the bold mixtures. The production is absolutely fantastic. It is very hard to believe this band is actually a trio, since they seem to emule a whole orchestra of sounds all over the record. I found it hard to point out a highlight. This is the kind of album you have to hear it several times to find its meaning. And I believe not too many people nowadays have the patience or time to listen to it as it should. But the CD´s success is well deserved. It may not be everyone´s cup of tea (specially here), but The Resistence is a great prog album of our time. And that´s all I have to say about it.

Rating: another question mark. I´m sure it is worth at least four stars. Time will tell if a fice star rating will be more fitting.

Something really interesting, intriguing and different wihtout being too freakish and out there. I really loved it!

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#291747) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 24, 2010

2 stars I've never been the biggest MUSE fan even though I can appreciate their sound somewhat for what it is, i'm just not a fan of it though.Very modern sounding with vocals that still remind me of Thom Yorke the way he holds the notes.The music here is big, almost epic with QUEEN as a good reference point.This often comes across as a Rock Opera and there's lots of harmonies too.This can rock out pretty good which I enjoy, i've just never been a fan of QUEEN and that style.The lyrics seem to have a Science Fiction vibe.

"Uprising" like with most of the tracks is catchy. Clapping and synths with this toe tapping beat as the vocals come in. I can see why this would be popular on the radio. "Resistance" is cool the way it opens in a spacey manner.The cool factor disappears when the piano and drums arrive. Vocals join in. QUEEN-like harmonies follow. Themes are repeated. "Undisclosed Desires" reminds me of the EURYTHMICS.Too poppy and "lame" is a word that comes to mind. "United States Of Eurasia" opens with piano as strings and vocals join in.Then it kicks into a QUEEN-like tune.

"Guiding Light" is all about the vocals and big sound. Bass comes in. Guitar is raw 2 minutes in. "Unnatural Selection" opens with organ and distant sounding vocals before it kicks into gear with drums and guitar joining in. Some good riffing here. A calm before 3 1/2 minutes with organ returning. It kicks in late once again. "MK Ultra" is a good little rocker with vocals and plenty of guitar and drums. "I Belong To You" opens with piano and clapping as drums then vocals arrive. Chunky bass too. Not a fan. "Exogenesis:Symphony" is divided into three parts for a total of almost 13 minutes.The first part is orchestral sounding throughout. Part two opens with classical sounding piano melodies.We get reserved vocals around a minute. It kicks in a minute later then settles back again. Part three opens with piano as orchestral sounds join in then vocals. Drums too.It settles back to end it.

Fans only for this one although even their best works are only 3 star albums in my books.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#300372) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 24, 2010

Review by Warthur
3 stars The Resistance sees Muse descending into self-parody. It's not that Matt Bellamy's goofy conspiracy theories are more prominent in the lyrics than ever before, because he does at least manage to pitch them at a level where you could interpret them as being a general meditation on any revolt against oppression. It's not even the lighter, bouncier nature of the music, which puts me in mind of a sort of pop-punk take on the Muse sound. No, what gets to me is the fact that the band seem more inclined to wheel out the tired old cliches of their sound and give them another spin than to come up with any new tricks. Essentially, every Muse album from Absolution onwards has been a progressively less interesting version of Origin of Symmetry, a height I don't think the band are even attempting to match any more.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#743826) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Review by Starhammer
2 stars Resisting nostalgia...

I wouldn't say that I'm a 'fan' of Muse, but I do enjoy their music. They are perhaps the biggest modern band in these archives, headlining prestigious festivals and undertaking worldwide arena tours, their popularity has risen stratospherically in recent years. I was given the opportunity to watch them on their tour supporting The Resistance, and whilst it was a truly fantastic show, it also cast a rose-tinted light on this album. Now that the memories have faded a little, I am able to present a more subjective viewpoint.

This is probably Muse's most commercial album to date, but are they selling out here? I don't think so. Well certainly not compared to providing music for the Twilight soundtrack! But I've never considered Muse to be particularly progressive anyway so whether this is '90125' or 'Sing to God' is neither here nor there.

Overall it is a solid, radio friendly release with memorable tracks and few weak moments. In fact, the album's low point is probably also it's most ambitious, the three part Exogenesis symphonic-suite. This is completely unlike anything the band have tried before, and whilst the attempt is admirable, it feels more like and optional extra than the main event.

The Verdict: Would this inspire me to start listening to Muse? Not likely, but it will still appeal to fans of the band.

Send comments to Starhammer (BETA) | Report this review (#763465) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 04, 2012

4 stars 7/10 This is an album that will surely alienate many fans. At least to me it did not make a good first impression. I was wondering: "what the hell are they doing here?". There seemed to be the same band. Or rather, it was, but with the addition of new elements that do not please me much (i ... (read more)

Report this review (#1020611) | Posted by voliveira | Monday, August 19, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars It is easy to be harsh with regard to groups that have achieved massive success in the (mostly terrible) music industry nowadays, when so many fantastic prog bands seem to just survive on the fringes of popularity. However, I kind of like Muse. I have 'Black Holes and Revelations' which has tw ... (read more)

Report this review (#581955) | Posted by Richens | Sunday, December 04, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is brilliant. Their best so far. Great melodies in every track earn it 5, but it feels like there are too many styles to fit as an album, rather than a pile of tracks. Uprising, the first track, is a full on blast of rebellion and synthesised guitars. The simple fact with this album is, you ... (read more)

Report this review (#573130) | Posted by Gallifrey | Tuesday, November 22, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The more I listened to it, the more I realized its flaws. So after much anticipation (and being a huge Muse fan, enough to scour for their rare songs and B-sides), I decided to swing by Best Buy and pick up not only this but Porcupine Tree's The Incident. I was so happy. I thought I was going ... (read more)

Report this review (#401660) | Posted by thesleeper72 | Wednesday, February 16, 2011 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Oh dear, boys. What have you done here? Every album had been a brilliant display of Post- Radiohead alternative rock mixed with slight electric vibes. On this album, Muse totally disregarded all that their fans wanted by making a pop album. Whilst usually, going for a different sound and progre ... (read more)

Report this review (#285059) | Posted by Laurelles | Saturday, June 05, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Best pop album since Abba.Ok, maybe it's not really pop, more of a pop-rock-alternative-symphonic-prog hybrid. But the genre isn't what's important. The songs and are great and the entirety works. They have evolved much since last time, now they are better producers, songwriters and the style on ... (read more)

Report this review (#280705) | Posted by idiotPrayer | Thursday, May 06, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Muse are a band that I typically first learned about from my then teenaged daughters a few years ago. When one of them bothered to travel from Finland to Poland just to see them live, and another started banking the band down my throat, I had to find out what it was that would make this band so ... (read more)

Report this review (#273499) | Posted by OT Räihälä | Monday, March 22, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Muse's fifth release is arguably their strongest. The music draws from an even wider array of influences than before, yet still with that very distinct Muse sound. "Uprising" and "Resistance" are fantastic to open the album, "The United States of Eurasia" and "Guiding Light" reek of Queen (t ... (read more)

Report this review (#263779) | Posted by SilverEclipse | Monday, February 01, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Wow, 2 amazing albums, the next one should be amazing...yea...no... This album was a bit of a let down to be honest. After you make 2 great albums, you kind of expect the next one to be great as well. But it was just a massive let down. It was good i guess but it was not spectacular. It almo ... (read more)

Report this review (#258515) | Posted by arcane-beautiful | Wednesday, December 30, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Muse- The Resistance (2009) Adored by their throng of fans for their pomp and circumstance, and for Matt Bellamy's guitar and vocal histrionics; hated by their detractors for precisely the same reasons, Muse are certainly one of the more unique rock bands in recent memory. Radiohead meets Queen, ... (read more)

Report this review (#244572) | Posted by Kashmir75 | Tuesday, October 13, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars When I heard three of the tracks from 'The Resistance' prior to the release of the album, I was a bit concerned, it seemed like a very different style from the last album. But on buying it last Monday and hearing it a few times now, I have to say it is a fantastic record! It isn't a huge step a ... (read more)

Report this review (#240840) | Posted by pedro2000 | Tuesday, September 22, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Okay, so let's get this out of the way very quickly. Muse is a band that can write songs and albums for people who know little about music as well as the know-it-alls. They've proven that further with the release of their newest album, The Resistance. There's definitely a shift in sound and wr ... (read more)

Report this review (#240330) | Posted by andreg45 | Saturday, September 19, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album needs more than one listening to, that is for sure. I was worried that I wouldn't like it on my first listen, and even a little unsure on my second. Now it seems like every song is in my head. Every Muse album, I think, needs a little warming up to. It may seem, the first time through, ch ... (read more)

Report this review (#239666) | Posted by GreatlyDeceived | Wednesday, September 16, 2009 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Well Muse sertinly pulled a fast one on us....or a slow one. They tryed something new within the scope of their own creative sphere, and came up with 'The Resistance', trying to be more 'synphonic' developing their deep emotional conection to the music, while not losing that Muse feel. Althou ... (read more)

Report this review (#239594) | Posted by mothershabooboo | Wednesday, September 16, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars What i think happens is people listen to an album once, and if they dislike it then that's it, it's crap, keep away from it, chuck it in the bin, banished! Sometimes it takes a while for an album to grow on you, maybe a few listens. After that little sorta cooling off period, if you're addicte ... (read more)

Report this review (#239293) | Posted by Mack888 | Monday, September 14, 2009 | Review Permanlink

1 stars God, this is awful, this is doing EVERYTHING WRONG, Muse died for me with "The Resistance". "The Resistance" is a 80's inspired, cheesy alternative rock album, with terrible lyrics, recycling of own songs and obvious bad ideas already badly put into practice by other bands. The album kicks in wi ... (read more)

Report this review (#239175) | Posted by JTP88 | Monday, September 14, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Muse have come a long way since their inception in 1994 and have recently paid homage to their hometown, seaside town Teignmouth, with "A Seaside Rendezvous". Two heavily anticipated dates where muse elaborately presented their unheard (unleaked) new material and reacquainted the fans with rework ... (read more)

Report this review (#239108) | Posted by zippax | Sunday, September 13, 2009 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Now dont get me wrong, I really like Muse. 2006's Black Holes album was a classic, and Origin and Absolution are solid alt. rock albums. We prayed and prayed that Muse would finally realise their potential and become the worlds leading prog band (which 06's "Knights of Cydonia" seemed to suggest) ... (read more)

Report this review (#239066) | Posted by robharries13 | Sunday, September 13, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MUSE "The Resistance"