6LA8 - In Wake of a Dying Nation CD (album) cover

Progressive Electronic

Anthony H.
1 stars 6LA8: In Wake of a Dying Nation [2010]

Rating: 2/10

There's nothing worse than an album that is both dull and long. In Wake of a Dying Nation, the debut album from Pakistani post-rock/ambient duo 6LA8, manages to exhibit both of these qualities in overarching abundance. I have listened to a lot of music during my nineteen years on this earth, but this may be the longest album I have ever come in contact with. A three-disc, 39-track affair, In Wake of a Dying Nation is a three-and-a-half hour monument to homogenous repetition. After hearing the first three tracks, you've pretty much heard them all; the band pulls the same punches over and over again. And over again. And again. And yet again until, once the album has finally concluded, you begin to wonder what better things you could have been doing for the past four hours of your all-too-quickly fleeting existence.

This is a terribly generic post-rock album that revels in the conventions of the genre: low-key twangy guitars, melancholic atmosphere, ambient interludes, and extensive sampling. Not to mention the song titles! I stopped caring about the track names after getting about nine songs in; I can only take so many nonsensical sentence-long titles before apathy takes over. Post-rock is not my genre of choice, but even the most hardcore fan of the genre will probably find this to be a derivative and boring listen.

Am I being too harsh? Probably. Some of 6LA8's future albums are quite good, and none of the music on this album is particularly bad. I don't find myself disgusted with these tracks, and I can actually enjoy some of them in isolation. However, these pieces are unable to hold my attention throughout an entire disc, much less three. I would have stopped about a fifth of the way through this album were it not for some irrational commitment. This is a musical chore: that statement alone should sufficiently summarize my distaste.

Anthony H. | 1/5 |