IN WAKE OF A DYING NATION

6LA8 In Wake of a Dying Nation album cover

Buy 6LA8 Music
Studio Album, released in 2010

Disc 1:

1. We Breathe Less to Leave Fresh Air for the Morning (6:23)
2. Blood, Water and Dying Expectations (4:46)
3. Distorting Truths to Reach False Assurances (6:39)
4. Masking Delight on our Heavy Unforgiving Hearts (4:06)
5. Even Computers Get Lonely (3:54)
6. We Lost Much in the Flood, But at least there is Farmville (3:47)
7. Our Feeling is Sound, the World Keeps Going (Eid) (3:54)
8. Loadshedding Brings an Empowering Visit to Our Moonlit Rooftops (5:40)
9. Well, What Would You Like it to Be? (4:10)
10. Feverish Missteps and a Burning Tape of Drama and Revolution (5:34)
11. We Advocate for the Meat and Care for the Esteem (4:33)
12. A 5 Minute Rerun of Historical Angst (5:15)
13. [Part 1] Colored Dreams Lend Faith to a Harsh Reality (9:00)
14. [Part 2] When You Don't Know What's Gonna Happen (7:35)

Disc 2:

1. Striking Terror in Hearts By Raising Sugar Prices (3:17)
2. Tired Faces Look at Dawn with Resigned Lives (4:00)
3. Choices Plague You, Let Only a Single Voice Be Heard (4:58)
4. Triumph of Some Win Replaces All Lives and Hearts Lost (5:25)
5. Waiting for Miracles When the Floor is Pulled From Beneath You (6:01)
6. It Only Takes a Thought to End Our Lives (1:14)
7. We Ride through Deserts and Think of Lives Forlorn (6:44)
8. Feeling Like a Paper Yellowed with Age (4:38)
9. A Mere Glimpse of Light Shone Through our Tight Fisted Shells (6:07)
10. [Part 1] Standing High On K2 with the Sun's Complying Sillhouette (4:30)
11. [Part 2] And With the Dreams of an Internet Affair (2:57)
12. We Hope the Pied Piper Stops Deluding the Leaky Anchors (3:51)
13. Primitive Calls for a Cyber Thief (4:30)
14. RGST Brings Another Reason to Numb Our Minds (10:26)

Disc 3:

1. Over the Fence With Your Blasphemy Laws (9:33)
2. We Encountered a One-Eyed Being in the Dead Middle of the Night [feat. Air Liner] (6:36)
3. We Live in the New Millenium, But Still No Flying Cars (Low Budget) (6:57)
4. A Martyr In the Name of the Lives He had Slain (4:08)
5. Tired Faces Look at Dawn with Resigned Lives (4:00)
6. Glazed Over And Unrelenting to the Point of Absurdity (4:32)
7. What You Think of Yourself in Dream (Rides) Might Prove Costly (4:49)
8. We Will Eventually Forget the Process of Being Guilty (3:55)
9. The West-Inspired Media is a Blissful Distraction for the Preachers (5:46)
10. Flagellation/Celebration, Depending How You See It (13:47)
11. The End of 6LA8 (11:23)

Search 6LA8 In Wake of a Dying Nation lyrics

Search 6LA8 In Wake of a Dying Nation tabs

Taimur Mazhar Sheikh and Omer Asim / all instruments

self released:

Thanks to The Truth for the addition

6LA8 MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Peel The Moderate Picture, 2010

Buy 6LA8 In Wake of a Dying Nation Music

More places to buy 6LA8 music online Buy 6LA8 & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for 6LA8 DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

6LA8 In Wake of a Dying Nation ratings distribution

6LA8 In Wake of a Dying Nation reviews

Review by The Truth
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
3 stars Three disk efforts are extremely hard to pull off, every once in awhile you get a Joanna Newsom or Frank Zappa to come along and they can do it like nobody's business. Others fail miserably. 6LA8 create a triple album that truly keeps the listeners attention the whole time, a feat which is awfully difficult with dronetronic post-rock. Nonetheless, this album is a great one.

Reason #1: Look at those song titles! I could spend days reading all of those!

Reason #2: The tracks are extremely varied and switch moods and genres quite often which helps the album be cohesive despite it's length.

Reason #3: The tracks are beautiful. This is one of those albums that really takes me on trips and I absolutely love it.

However, the length does prevent me from listening to it often. It's a treat every time I do but I just can't find the time alot of the time. Each disk separately would probably all be 4 star albums but with it's massive length, 3 stars although they almost pulled it off.

This is still an album worth everyone's attention as it's free on their bandcamp and will give the avid listener a real treat. Try out other albums before this one!

Send comments to The Truth (BETA) | Report this review (#573317) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Review by colorofmoney91
3 stars Pakistani electronic post-rock for almost 4 hours.

Yes, almost 4 hours; In Wake of a Dying Nation is a very overbearingly longwinded album and I'm actually surprised I made it through the entire set. This being said, it's actually not bad music at all. It's actually quite dreamy, in fact. Still, almost 4 hours is unjustifiable.

But throughout this album's runtime you will hear variations on two more general genres: post-rock (typically either straight-up sluggish post-rock or 21st century electronically enhanced post-rock) and electronic (ambient or industrial). I personally have never been a fan of typical post-rock, and the post-rock present through this album is generally typical post-rock, featuing slow single note guitar picking that grows a bit louder as each track goes on. If you're a post-rock fan then have at it. But there are also the tracks that are more of the, what I call, 21st century electronically enhanced post-rock (God is an Astronaut, 65daysofstatic) that uses the same formula but ups the ante a bit by adding dense electronic backdrops and faint IDM techniques. This style is displayed well on tracks like "Loadshedding Brings an Empowering Visit to Our Moonlit Rooftops" and "Triumph of Some Win Replaces All Lives and Hearts Lost". I can see how fans of modern post-rock might seriously enjoy this group, but this style simply tests my patience too much.

While a large chunk of this album is relatively boring, a few tracks stand out. "We Lost Much in the Flood, But at least there is Farmville" is a guitar laden depressor of a track reminiscent of Fripp & Eno's No Pussyfooting but luckily doesn't come off as a rip- off at all. "Choices Plague You, Let Only a Single Voice Be Heard" is a mid-paced post- industrial minimal techno track that sounds like a less involved Monolake track from Momentum. On some of the more drone-oriented ambient tracks on this album there is a huge Manuel Gottsching influence, like on "Tired Faces Look at Dawn with Resigned Lives" which loops a lonely guitar staccato over a passionately drifting soundscape that concludes with piercing sirens. 6LA8 also show an intent to be experiemental, which is very apparent on "Feverish Missteps and a Burning Tape of Drama and Revolution" which is abraisively percussive and features glitchy Italian vocal samples and a grindingly repetitive mechanical synth loop.

Though this group is from Pakistan, it wouldn't be obvious through listening to most of their music. Elements of middle Eastern music do show through occasionally though, such as on "We Ride through Deserts and Think of Lives Forlorn" which plays with an obvious middle Eastern tonality and beat, and on the opening track to the first disc there is a very emotive middle Eastern percussion (I won't pretend like I know the name of the exact instrument - Tabla, maybe?).

I went into this album excepting that I would be overwhelmed by the overwhelming runtime of this three disc debut album, but I left with almost an hour of tracks that I really do enjoy. While I think there is a huge misstep in terms of quality control, I think 6LA8 have crammed enough music into their debut for anyone interested in electronic music or post-rock to leave with at least a standard album length worth of enjoyable material. In Wake of a Dying Nation is a definite winner for most inaccesible format for a debut album ever, but I can't consider it too much of a winner in any other category.

Send comments to colorofmoney91 (BETA) | Report this review (#634152) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Review by Anthony H.
1 stars 6LA8: In Wake of a Dying Nation [2010]

Rating: 2/10

There's nothing worse than an album that is both dull and long. In Wake of a Dying Nation, the debut album from Pakistani post-rock/ambient duo 6LA8, manages to exhibit both of these qualities in overarching abundance. I have listened to a lot of music during my nineteen years on this earth, but this may be the longest album I have ever come in contact with. A three-disc, 39-track affair, In Wake of a Dying Nation is a three-and-a-half hour monument to homogenous repetition. After hearing the first three tracks, you've pretty much heard them all; the band pulls the same punches over and over again. And over again. And again. And yet again until, once the album has finally concluded, you begin to wonder what better things you could have been doing for the past four hours of your all-too-quickly fleeting existence.

This is a terribly generic post-rock album that revels in the conventions of the genre: low-key twangy guitars, melancholic atmosphere, ambient interludes, and extensive sampling. Not to mention the song titles! I stopped caring about the track names after getting about nine songs in; I can only take so many nonsensical sentence-long titles before apathy takes over. Post-rock is not my genre of choice, but even the most hardcore fan of the genre will probably find this to be a derivative and boring listen.

Am I being too harsh? Probably. Some of 6LA8's future albums are quite good, and none of the music on this album is particularly bad. I don't find myself disgusted with these tracks, and I can actually enjoy some of them in isolation. However, these pieces are unable to hold my attention throughout an entire disc, much less three. I would have stopped about a fifth of the way through this album were it not for some irrational commitment. This is a musical chore: that statement alone should sufficiently summarize my distaste.

Send comments to Anthony H. (BETA) | Report this review (#773376) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 18, 2012

Post a review of 6LA8 "In Wake of a Dying Nation"