Genesis - Nursery Cryme CD (album) cover

4 stars Not one of Genesis' mature masterpieces, perhaps, (I always fall asleep during HARLEQUIN and THE FOUNTAIN OF SALMACIS, in spite of those mellotron crescendos) but still a fascinating album. THE MUSICAL BOX is one of the most powerful pieces in the Genesis canon, but I'm in two minds about its original (unremastered) version. On the one hand, I'll agree with some reviewers that the performance on GENESIS LIVE sounds rawer and more powerful; on the other, it's lovely to hear part of the piece played on acoustic instruments. When I bought the remastered version of this album a few years ago, I hoped Peter Gabriel would be turned up in the mix during the MUSICAL BOX finale, but alas, I just don't get it, he is STILL drowned out by Tony Banks's organ - why? why? why? why? why?
fuxi | 4/5 |