Camel - The Snow Goose CD (album) cover

THE SNOW GOOSE

Camel

Argonaught
5 stars It took me very long to visit this Snow Goose page and leave a proper review.

There is an interesting quality to this particular Camel album .. it seems to be able to easily penetrate your emotional space and gently immerse you into a wholesome, positive musical experience without, so to speak, stirring you up too much. No (snow)goosebumps, no dropped jaws. Just the smooth flow of sophisticated, delicate music.

I must say that none of the other Camel albums left me with this breezy feeling of goodness and gratitude. Like the best pieces of classical music. A little bit of mystery.

And here might be the key to the mystery .. what if we viewed Snow Goose not as an "progressive-symphonic-rock" instrumental concept album, but a contemporary orchestral suite, played on a variety of classical and modern-day instruments? After all, I did the same thing to Änglagård - reclassified them from symphonic prog to modern classical. The skies didn't come tumbling down and the rivers didn't flow backwards, and it all make a lot more sense to me :)

Bottom line: Snow Goose is unlikely to dazzle or sweep you off your feet, but it's a truly rewarding listening experience. I personally find no flaw in it, so it has to be 5 stars.

Argonaught | 5/5 |