Cargo - Cargo CD (album) cover

CARGO

Cargo

friso
4 stars Cargo - Cargo (1972)

This is one of few unknown Dutch gems of the psych/progressive period of the early seventies. Most progressive music listeners will know about classical/jazz-influence rock made by Focus and perhaps even the symphonic albums of Kayak. Some listen to the Canterbury styled prog of Supersister and most of us would like the advanced symphonic prog style of Finch. Besides that the psych/space lover should check out Group 1850, whilst the heavy rock and jam- session listener shouldn't skip on this sole Cargo record.

Cargo offers a heavy rock styled album with 20% songwriting and 80% jamming with the 'De Hont brothers' delivering some great (twin) guitarsolo's with a great seventies reverb-rock guitar sound. The album has two long tracks and two shorter tracks to complement each side of the vinyl. All four tracks have some catchy moments before becoming vehicles for the spacey solo's. I really like the sound of this album, a bit underground-like, but still very well produced with a warm sound that even works when listening to a digital version. The vinyls are by the way very hard to find and expensive, I'm still looking for a reprint myself. During the song-moments Cargo impressed with a nice rockin' out feel and some vocals with soul. The composition is fairly simple, but when rock is played tight it can still impress a lot.

The cd version offers some bonustracks from the time the band wasn't even called Cargo. They are worthwhile rock tracks, but I myself prefer listening to the album in it's original form.

Conclusion. This type of heavy rock with spacey guitar solo's and extended jamming is a typical product of the seventies underground rock scene. It's second hand prove of a zeitgeist that empowered people to really focus on something. When it comes down to it, I really think it is the affinity for this zeitgeist that makes music like Cargo's sole album so great to listen to. Fours magic carpets.

friso | 4/5 |