Opeth - Ghost Reveries CD (album) cover

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

4 stars Great album, I listen to this at least twice a week. My only concern is that now Opeth might exclude some of their more folkish parts or songs, to throw in a more keyboard led melody, and their folkish parts or songs are really what I most enjoy in their songs.

Although I do prefer Blackwater Park and Damnation to this I am still surprised that with a new member in the band the band did not change the direction of their music that much. In fact, the keyboards add a lot of atmosphere to the album and allows Opeth to express new feelings through the addition of keyboards. It's great, but I still prefer the more folkish tunes.

Highlights are: Atonement Beneath the Mire Baying of the Hounds.

I still wouldn't recommend this who doesn't like progmetal, but there will come a day when Mikael might just give up completely that aggressive side and find there's other ways of expressing himself that might be even better than growling.

Tasartir | 4/5 |