Van Der Graaf Generator - Vital CD (album) cover

Van Der Graaf Generator

4 stars The magic of earlier VdGG records is missing. This recording is wild and loud, dominated by Hammill's loud over-amplified guitar work and the fierce playing of Guy Evans. The more dreamily styles of Banton & Jackson, we know from earlier recordings, are lacking. BUT 1978 isn't 1972. In 1978 the world wasn't actually hungry for prog-rock in style of early VdGG, Genesis, Yes etc. So this record is a great example of VdGG's ability to change, and I think the outcome is a VERY interesting record. I like the intimacy, I like the dark mood, and for some strange reason I like Hammill's loud guitar, especially the track "Pioneers Over C", sounds very interesting with the guitar and the sax playing together.

A very well accomplished update of the early VdGG material.

ummagumma08 | 4/5 |