VITAL

2. Still Life
3. Last Frame
SIDE TWO
1. Mirror Images
2. Medley (Parts Of 'A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers' And 'The Sleepwalkers')
SIDE THREE

4. Mirror Images (5:48)
5. Medley:
a) Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers
b) Sleepwalkers (13:47)
6. Pioneers Over C (16:59)
7. Door (5:29)
8. Urban / Killer / Urban (7:36)

Total Time : 75:09

5. Medley:
a) Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers
b) Sleepwalkers (13:41)
DISC TWO
1. Pioneers Over C (17:00)
2. Sci-Finance (6:16)
3. Door (6:00)
4. Urban / Killer / Urban (8:20)
5. Nadir's Big Chance (7:00)

Search VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Vital lyrics

- Guy Evans / drums
- Charles Dickie / cello, keyboards
GUEST:
- David Jackson / saxes, flutes

- The first Charisma CD release contains the first LP.
- The 1989 CD release contains a selection of the two LP's ("Sci-Finance" and "Nadir's Big Chance" are left out)
- The Japanese CD release publishes the whole album, as does the 2005 Remastered Edition.

and to Fassbinder for the last updates

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Vital Music

Remastered · Extra tracks
Virgin / Charisma 2005
EMI/Virgin
Van Der Graaf Generator - Vital - PVC Records - PVC 9901Van Der Graaf Generator - Vital - PVC Records - PVC 9901
PVC Records
CD alt ~ USD $15.01
LP h to he, who am i the only one ~ USD $22.21
LP the least we can do is wave each other ~ USD $24.69
LP visions ~ USD $22.58

More places to buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR music online Buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Vital ratings distribution

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Vital reviews

Review by The Owl
1 stars Bloody awful! This did not exactly portray VDG in a good light, between the loud, sloppy crude playing of the final lineup and the bad mix. Should NEVER have been released. A live recording of the Banton/Jackson/Evans/Hammill lineup would've been far better. Ugly doesn't even begin to describe it.

Send comments to The Owl (BETA) | Report this review (#8045) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars This is the only live album that his seminal group ever released and it was their farewell shows them under an unusual line-up. This version of the group has all the participans of the unsettling but still interesting TQZ/TPD , plus a cellist(!?!? An excellent initiative! I wonder why they waited so long) and the return as a guest of Jackson. The remastered version corrects a mistake done with the original Cd release as it adds the two tracks previously omitted for space/length reasons. But although not operating miracles , again the remastering job profitsa nuber of tracks , ven takes a rough and abrupt edges to some songs to render them easer to get "accustomed" to without tampering with their rawness/integrity . So be assured that the legendary raw ower is fully reproduced ( and also the full one night Marquee concert) , only the images lacking.

One of the interesting/intriguing aspect of this album is how they adapted their oldermaterial to fit the new line-up especially wth the two string instruments to pick up the void left by the absence of Banton's keyboards. Well I can tell you that this is partially successful even giving goosebumps at the start of the Lighthouse Keepers suite , but unfortunately not daring to do it in its entirity and sliping in one of my least fave track Sleepwalkers. But I am going a little quick here, as before that, the Generator-less VDG had given us a rawer version of Ship Of Fools (much better than the studio version IMHO) and then really charmed us with Still Life with a delighting opening section , hammill singing out to Smith's violin and being stunningly underlined by Dickie's cello. Clearly all the older tracks were well adapted as they gain a new life with the arrangements for cello-violin pair, but unortunately also for Hammill's rather medium guitar playing. Last Frame and Mirror Images (extended for the former from the previous album and a new track for the latter) and passes smoothly, but cleary the next hihlight is the Plague track already discussed above, bu unfortunately (for me anyway) dipping all to soon in Sleepwalkers with Guest Jackson finally appearing and the track returning to the final notes of Plague.

The second disc (it was originally a double vinyl but only released as such in Japan) starts with another delightful treat in an extended Pioneers Over C, with rather odd choices such as the use of a crunching guitar, the violin-cello duo intervening later. Potter finally getting to replay his bass lines, and violin then sax improvs , but also the crunching guitar riffs makes this version different (but not better) and more brutal. Sci-Finance is a rather sub-par track and it is easy to see why it got the axe from the selection , Door somehow escaping that very same fate by being an original track not yet available elsewhere, both being very raw and no remastering job being able to change much to the difficult sound recording that night. New track Urban is next and incorporates Killer , really showing the band cooking up towards the end of the show and as an encore , the title track from one of Hammill's solo album makes the end of the second disc a bit rough on my nerves.

The most interest I found in this album I the adaptation of the classic tracks , the rest of the stuff only confirmng the direction Hammill had takenfrom his Nadir solo album. The remastering job having done what as feasable , the sound being sometimes over-saturated from the over-energetic VDG. Let me prefer the Generator version

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#8055) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars My first VDGG live experience dates from October 1976. It was probably not a tremendous adventure since I do not remember lots of of this concert at the Cirque Royal in Brussels. I only was a seventeen year-old fan wanting to access a live VDGG performance (one of my top ten band of that era).

When I listen to this live record, I can only agree with Hughes and say that their concerts were really difficult to get into. Not even to mention to record such a moment. Vital is definitely not a great live moment.

Sound is on par with average bootlegs at time. Track list is not great and some numbers really should not have been on this first official VDGG live album like "Ship Of Fools" (bonus track on the remastered version of "The Quiet Zone") and "Mirror Images" (from Hammill solo career).

Of course, by the time, it was the only one available.

Too few magical moments. Poor renditions of great track like "Still Life" (a real massacre). The "Medley" with bits and bites from "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" is not too bad a moment. This live album won't get into our memories of great live renditions, definitely.

There are recent non-official material from the band that are worthwhile. One of them has been recorded in London in 2005 during their reunion tour: If you can get hold of that one, have a try, it is really worth. The tracklist is superb and the sound OK. FYI, they played : "The Undercover Man", "Scorched Earth", "Refugees", "Every Bloody Emperor", "Lemmings", "In the Black Room", "Darkness", "Masks", "Childlike Faith In Childhood's End", "The Sleepwalkers", "Man-Erg", "Killer" and "Wondering". This is the vital VDGG, right ?

Instead, this one, after three or four spins reminds peacefully in my "CD theque".

Two stars for this not vital effort.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#108429) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 22, 2007

Review by Man With Hat
COLLABORATOR Jazz-Rock/Fusion Team
3 stars Van Der Graaf Generator live is something wonderful. Unfortunately, finding it isn't the easiest of tasks. Up until this point an offical live album had not been released. At last though, VDGG (or if you want to be technical VDG) fans who never got a chance to see them live, could at least "live" the experience. First and foremost, an interesting line-up is presented, with guitar, bass, violin, and cello. For me it gives them a great sound. Granted, it can't totally replace Jackson's sax (which thankfully makes a "Guest" appearance here), but it really gives them a full sound. Needless to say, the playing on Vital is impeccable, with every musician given his chance to shine.

The first thing I notice about this album is the hard rockingness of many of the songs. Tracks like Ship Of Fools, Pioneers Over C, and Killer are played much more aggressively then their studio counterparts. Also, with the inclusion of these new sounds many of the songs sound fresh and new, which I always like to see/hear in a live album. The inclusion of previously unreleased material is very much appreciated. Urban and Sci-Fience are especially strong tracks, that I would have loved to have a studio version of. The second most obvious things about this record is the sound quality. Now, I have the 2005 remastered CD, and I can firmly say that I love the sound of this live album, even though it is not perfect. It is not muddied or overly raw, but it still keeps the feel of a live setting. (As a side note: I have heard other VDGG live tracks which the sound quality was absolutly atrocious and did not do justice to such wonderful music. For that fact I was reluctant to buy this CD at first, but luckily they really picked it up for this one).

Now on to the bad, which is limited. First about the sound: The drums, voice, and guitar really steal the show. There are times where it is really hard to hear the cello and especially the sax, and some of that comes from it being drowned out by the other instruments. That is also my major complaint about this album. However, a track or two seemed to be cut strangely, but it doesn't affect the song. But, the crowd noise is kept to a minimum, as are sections of applause.

All in all, this is a fine live album which shows this phase of Van Der Graff off in its full glory. While there are a few problems here and there with the sound, there is enough pros in this album to have it be worthy of owning. For fans of the band, this is an essential purchase (espcially since live material is rare). For casual prog fans it is a nice addition for your collection. 3.5 stars.

Send comments to Man With Hat (BETA) | Report this review (#111598) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 11, 2007

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars Van Der Graaf's Live show captured is a vital experience

Van der Graaf Generator's 'Vital' is a concert performance in their last days and as a record of the incredible raw power this band exuded, it is a vital entry into the catalogue of VDGG albums. The double CD is worth getting for the extra 2 tracks and seems to have better sound quality in its remastered version. The live tracks boast the unique sound of VDGG and features lyrics that are dangerously close to the edge and Peter Hammill's vocals are like no other. He can croon smoothly, almost whisper along a minimalist approach that may feature a mere Hammond Organ, or he can scream as a cacophony of sound erupts. The live sound meanders between serene tranquillity to atomic energy.

CD 1 begins with Ship of Fools which is as bizarre a track played live as in the studio. It is easy to see why this band are musical pioneers and boundary pushing visionaries. The energy of the live performance is astonishing. Hammill is turned well up in the mix, perhaps too screechy at times, and the Hammond is let loose along with the soaring sax. Still Life follows, perhaps the best track from the aforementioned album, and is played magnificently, very subtle, almost minimalist in places and then the wall of sound erupts. Last Frame works well enough with the violin, Hammond and percussion; an oddity of musical virtuosity.

Mirror Images is an intriguing piece and then we are treated with the piece de resistance - the medley Plague of Lighthouse Keepers/Sleepwalkers. Both of which are brilliant in the studio from Pawn Hearts and Godbluff, 2 quintessential VDGG albums make no mistake, but they lose something in the live version. Both only clock in at some 13 minutes and are heavily edited. I did not like the way Lighthouse was edited as it's my fave track of VDGG. However it was pleasant to hear this version in many respects. It begins softly and then launches into the maelstrom of sound and verbal music psychosis that is VDGG. The Hammond and sax take us deeper into the abyss and VDGG really let loose with wild staccato riffs and a monstrous finale where everything just explodes into a paroxysm of uncontrolled mayhem. It's a killer track and moves from romanticism with piano elegy only to explode into a doom-laden soundwave with wild saxophones screaming over unfriendly sounds such as Dickie's keyboards and Guy Evan's off-kilter percussion. 'A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers' was the first track I had heard from this amazing band that tells the story of an eyewitness who sees the unspeakable as he feels his body fading in a storm while voyaging on a doomed ship. It reminds one of Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner (check Iron Maiden's take on this poem). The narrator notes "I prophesy disaster and then I count the cost. I shine but shining, dying I know that I am almost lost." The piano gets faster and seems to be falling down an abyss. There is a brief interlude that reminds one of a ship floating on an endless ocean and we hear the lonely saxophone blasts that resemble bizarre fog horns. You can almost picture the image of a ghost ship sailing through fog and there's a genuinely creepy ambience. The song takes on a darker atmosphere and Hammill begins to use his patented gravel tone to sing of spectres that scratch on windows, hollowed faces, and lost mastheads that pierce the freezing dark. There are several parts that flash by until the track moves to Presence of the Night/ Kosmos Tours. Jackson's saxophone really shines in this section and a weird time signature locks in, with Hammill singing "Why can't I let me live and be free, but I die very slowly alone." A beautiful Hammond sound fills the void and the tempo ignites to a frenetic pace where it spirals blissfully out of control. Then it all ends suddenly and the gorgeous piano reverberates to a melancholic contemplative Hammill who asks "Lighthouses might hold the key but can I reach the door?" It's a lovely moment after all the mayhem preceding, then the next section begins suddenly with Hammill's rasping vocals and short jagged spurts of noise from Jackson and Evans. At times the sound seems curiously off kilter, out of tune and rhythm but it all gels perfectly into the tranquil finale. You can take what you will from the potent lyrics but all is sung with absolute conviction which makes the piece all the more intriguing. It is a ballad of gothic grandeur in every sense that constantly surprises with its complex twisting structure.

CD 2 begins brilliantly with Pioneers Over C; at 17 minutes in length it is another highlight. 2 very rare tracks follow with Sci-Finance and Door, that were not released on an album in the 70s and they are interesting but a little forgettable. I love the version of Urban/Killer/Urban that really hits you between the eyes. Nadir's Big Chance is from Hammill's solo album and is perhaps the best he has done. The live version is lacking vocally but the intention is as full of conviction as other Hammill performances.

The album is best purchased in the 2 CD remastered format with a terrific booklet about the live show. The CD has some blazing numbers that really jolt you to your senses. It does not all work perfectly and is chaotic in places but it works as an emotional rollercoaster; brooding, with interchanging time signatures, long and contemplative and experimental to the max. You can hardly hear the crowd and there are some uncomfortable silences but it is compelling listening that draws you in deeper as it progresses. It has the feeling of emptiness or something ending, which is exactly what was happening - the band itself. It is not a starting point for someone interested in discovering the band, but it works as a supplement to the studio offerings of one of the best eclectic psychedelic bands of the 70s. A band that continues to perform live and produce great music to this day.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#209343) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 30, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars When I heard this album for the first time, I had to overcome one major stumbling block: my own expectation. This album wasn't the least like I had expected. VDGG had introduced a rough edge to their sound since they regrouped in 1975, but little did I know that this edge had become so sharp in a live setting. I quite liked the new songs on it but I thought the VDGG classics were a massacre.

This incarnation of VDGG has an entirely different line up. No Hugh Banton organ and, except for a few tracks, also no David Jackson. The losses were compensated by the return of Nick Potter on bass, Graham Smith on violin and a certain Dickie on cello. Also Hammill's quircky electric guitar comes more to the fore and, if you still had your hopes up for some melodic pleasure, also his harsh vocals won't add any.

The heavily distorted bass of Potter and Evans' compulsive drumming take the lead, creating a blunt and bleak stab of energy and passion. Depending on your predisposition that will either mean ugly or awesome. In the 20 years since my first exposure to this side of VDGG, my judgement has changed along similar lines, from ugly to stunning. In retrospect, this was the album that initiated me to the harsh energy of punk. In fact, this album has a certain grunge and punk vibe rather then a prog one. It's as if the Melvins or NoMeansNo were doing a set of VDGG songs.

Another word of advice (which goes for all VDGG albums). Please throw away any of the first generation CDs you might have bought. They are all simply horrible. Instead you get your hands on the great 2005 re-releases. They will make you forget the flat mid-range of the initial CD releases and will bring the sound of the original vinyl back. That certainly goes for Vital, where the reissue also restores the original track list.

This live album reveals a side of VDGG that won't please every fan, but the live adrenaline just pours out of the speakers. Besides, it has an advantage over many other live albums. Instead of bringing live clones of the originals, this album will truly add something to your collection, a disturbing view on this band for instance.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#275202) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 29, 2010

Review by Warthur
4 stars The second (and much longer) VdGG hiatus was heralded by this live album, which presents the Van der Graaf lineup (plus the guest starring David Jackson) in a raw, angry, noisy, furious performance from the Quiet Zone tour. Presenting a mixture of material from that album, reconfigured older songs (on which Graham Smith's violin works surprisingly well), and a few tracks original to this release, this album is best experienced either as the original LP set or as the 2005 2CD remaster - previous CD editions having omitted tracks. It's aggressive, brutal and right at the progressive cutting edge, a living reminder that VdGG were always the darkest and most sinister of the major British prog bands, and what better way to herald the end of the golden age of prog with a raucous performance of Nadir's Big Chance as an encore?

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#557571) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars This live album is not for the faint of heart. David Jackson is back for this recording of a 1978 concert, but this is the Van Der Graaf lineup, which means that Hugh Banton's hammond organ is nowhere to be found (there's a lot of Graham Smith's violin, though, as well as cello from a newcomer named Charles Dickie). In addition, about half of the material was previously unreleased (some would later end up on Hammill solo albums), and the other half is transformed in ways that aren't necessarily for the better. Throw in that the recording quality is sketchy (Jackson may be present but he's a non-factor for a lot of it), and that Hammill is often more interested in yelling than in singing, and you have an album that only a die-hard fan could love, and one that anybody else could potentially hate.

Well, I don't quite hate it, and I kinda like it in spots. I actually quite like the medley of "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" and "Sleepwalkers" that concludes the first half; the editing process eliminates some of the aspects I like of each track (the hard-rock groove of "Sleepwalkers" is nowhere near as powerful as before), but it also gets rid of a lot of the bad in "Plague," and the final product is one I basically find enjoyable. Plus, I feel like the violin is a great addition to the arrangement of "Plague," one that adds a lot of atmosphere.

The other familiar tracks have ups and downs, to say the least. "Still Life" trades the low-key intensity of the original (which only hinted at fully fury at times but never remotely approached it) for a louder, screamier intensity, with grumbling guitars and violin that feels a bit like a pest at times. Still, while there's nowhere near the same depressing stomach- punch effect that the original provided in its best moments, I find there's a weird charm in the overpowered bass, over-thumped drums and over-dramatic violin parts of this one. It won't convert somebody who's never heard the original, but somebody who likes the original but doesn't feel a tight connection with all of its little details could like this one.

Of the other two familiar tracks, "Last Frame" never impressed me much beyond its introduction, and this one is about the same, while "Pioneers over c" is, well, an acquired taste that might not be worth acquiring. The original was fantastic, but this is 17 minutes long (much longer than the original) and obliterates most of the atmosphere of the original, replacing it with a lot of screaming and grumbly guitars and a lot of out-of-control loud fuzz- bass. The basic skeleton of the piece is more or less the same, and I have enough residual familiarity with and love for the original that I can find some enjoyment in grooving along the various parts, but I like the original way more.

Of the other tracks, the best of the lot is definitely the closing "Nadir's Big Chance," the excellent title track of the excellent 1975 Hammill solo album, and it turns out to be a good fit for an ensemble best suited (based on their other performances) for making a lot of artsy punkish racket. The other tracks are definitely artsy punkish racket, with jazzy elements thrown in (especially on "Urban," which incorporates snippets of "Killer" during the mid- section and is thus labeled "Urban/Killer/Urban"), but they ramble a lot without leaving much of an impression (other than some nice riffs in "Ship of Fools" and "Urban"). The general approach and combination of instruments is novel enough that I wouldn't mind hearing this material again once in a great while, but something to hold onto beyond style and interesting timbre would be nice.

As with Quiet Zone, listening to this leaves me with little surprise that the band broke up as soon thereafter as it did. For whatever good that's in here, the final product sounds like a tense novelty at best, and it should say something that, as somebody who overrates prog-related live albums as easily as I breathe, I have to struggle a bit to pull out bits that I like. Buy it at your own peril.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#1020989) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 20, 2013

5 stars If any band could combine the raw emotive power of punk with the complexity, polish and bombast of progressive rock, it was Van Der Graaf generator. Nowhere was this more evident than on this brilliant live recording. Mix King Crimson or early Genesis with MC5 and you get the picture...almost. ... (read more)

Report this review (#939111) | Posted by Fenrispuppy | Thursday, April 04, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Perhaps this sits much better in a punk-rock collection, even though this is no simple punk rock, either. One of the things I always loved about Vital is it's raw playing and the best (and probably only) prog/punk hybrid ever. What a show! I don't know how does the original pressing compares wit ... (read more)

Report this review (#454948) | Posted by JackFloyd | Monday, May 30, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Although the remastered issue is still imperfect it is leaps and bounds better than the original dbl LP. The sound is raw maybe but its raw because it was played that way. Jaxons sax will never be completely restored as there was a fault in his line and so his one track on the original master ta ... (read more)

Report this review (#174287) | Posted by burgersoft777 | Wednesday, June 18, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A cool live performance. Though some classical songs like Still Life happen to be slightly twisted, VDGG(VDG, I guess) shows a nice energy, the kind of energy I'd expect on a gig of this particular band(specially with young Hammill handling an electric guitar). The violin-cello combo works out ... (read more)

Report this review (#171834) | Posted by Lucas Naylor | Wednesday, May 21, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album is very RAW, infact more raw than the earlier albums, cause this is a live album, filled with imho the best songs they ever recorded. It starts off with an unreleased song called Ship Of Fools and what a song it is, Hammill screams his lungs out. The next song is Still Life and this ... (read more)

Report this review (#84290) | Posted by zebehnn | Thursday, July 20, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Unfortunately I only have heard the shortened original CD reissue, I need to track down the remaster! Keep that in mind when reading this review . . . On the whole I think this is a very under-rated album. The year was 1978 and London was hardly buzzing with the sounds of prog rock at the tim ... (read more)

Report this review (#51020) | Posted by | Sunday, October 09, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars "Vital" was not the best way to end Van Der Graaf's recording career at the late seventies, but still may be called as an welcome addition to their catalogue, since there are a few live recordings by this great band ("Maida Vale" and some tracks at "The Box"). I don't have the Japanese CD vers ... (read more)

Report this review (#48151) | Posted by M. B. Zapelini | Saturday, September 24, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Work announced in 1978 "Vital/Van Der Graaf Live". Live album announced after group dissolves. There is respect that may be called punk rock, too. All like the guitar, the violin, the cello, and Vocal, etc. are brutal performances. Japanese version of the CD also contained the tracks "Sci-Fin ... (read more)

Report this review (#47232) | Posted by braindamage | Sunday, September 18, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I love the raw, sloppy, ugly, rambling live versions of VDGG songs here. If you don't, forget the album. If you do, you might (and I say might) like it. Especially the first song grabs me and moves me into it. 'Still Life'is harder on me because I like the studio version. Call it exquisitely p ... (read more)

Report this review (#37940) | Posted by | Tuesday, June 28, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album may not have the best of sounds, but it shows the band at the peak of their energy, and there never has been a more brutal bass guitar than that of Nic Potter on this album. Hammill is in excellent form and screams away at the top of his lungs. The opener "Ship of Fools" is a real k ... (read more)

Report this review (#8060) | Posted by BaldJean | Saturday, May 28, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars If you are an absolute stickler and don't accept anything that wasn't recorded by the "classic" line-up of Hammill, Banton, Jackson and Evans, then this is not the album for your ears. If you are a fan of the band's openness and willingness to explore new sonic territory, then this album is es ... (read more)

Report this review (#8057) | Posted by | Tuesday, May 03, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars First, let's put things in perspective. This is '77/'78. Most prog bands at this point were floundering at best. This album not only redifined these songs, but improved on them. I am a die-hard VDGG fan/defender (you have to be both), and while Hugh Banton was integral to VDGG, he was also a ... (read more)

Report this review (#8056) | Posted by fuqxit | Monday, December 20, 2004 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This would have 5 stars and over, but it's not essential if you think that Prog ended with ELP's 'Love Beach' and started again with Marillion. If you ever wondered why Prog Rock was/is called progressive start here. This live set could appeal to Clash/Stranglers (excuse moi) devotees as much ... (read more)

Report this review (#8054) | Posted by | Friday, October 01, 2004 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is one of those albums that take several listens to grow accustomed to. I also bought it when it first came out when I was a freshman in college in Florida, and was so appalled by what I heard that I was compelled to write a scathing review for the school newspaper (never to be published ... (read more)

Report this review (#8052) | Posted by | Sunday, August 22, 2004 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Take away from me that Nirvana so-called desperation, that punk rage, new wave minimalism, garage essentiality. This is real angst, Peter Hammill's furious madness - the screamed 'Ship Of Fools', the hallucinated violin introduction to 'Last Frame', the darkest 'Pioneers Over C' ever heard and ... (read more)

Report this review (#8051) | Posted by | Tuesday, June 01, 2004 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The magic of earlier VdGG records is missing. This recording is wild and loud, dominated by Hammill's loud over-amplified guitar work and the fierce playing of Guy Evans. The more dreamily styles of Banton & Jackson, we know from earlier recordings, are lacking. BUT 1978 isn't 1972. In 1978 th ... (read more)

Report this review (#8050) | Posted by ummagumma08 | Wednesday, May 26, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars unlike previous reviewers i bought this album when it first came out and absolutely love it. from the opening sparse claps of the audience to hammills muted electrified les paul clicks- he launches into ship of fools. wait for the bass of nic potter (i am a great admirer of chris squire but what a ... (read more)

Report this review (#8049) | Posted by | Friday, April 16, 2004 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Yes, this is ugly, and so is life. The band plays furiously, and leaves the mutilated bodies of their originally beautiful songs in front of us. I think this is a very interesting live recording. There are songs from Hammill`s solo albums as well as from VDG/VDGG albums. "Still life" and "Mirror ima ... (read more)

Report this review (#8048) | Posted by coaxial | Wednesday, March 24, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR "Vital"