Tool - 10,000 Days CD (album) cover

10,000 DAYS

Tool

Experimental/Post Metal

Equality 7-2521
3 stars A bit of a disappointment after the five year build up, but still a decent record which despite some filler material and boring interludes contains some great songwriting and interesting melodies.

My biggest problem with this release isn't the actual material contained on it but rather the stagnation present in a band that I have always respected for progressing with each new release. The only member to really elaborate on his style and show some distance experimentation is Manyard who drops his patented screams for a new, more melodic style of singing which is downright haunting most of the time, greatly aided by it's new secondary, slightly faded, place in the mix. He comes out with some genuinely great vocal experimentation that covers a plethora of new styles, and he takes a more personal and less cryptic approach to lyrics especially great on the tracks "Right In Two" and "10,000 Days".

Adam Jones retreats further from a lead guitarist position and focuses more on textures and atmospheres but ultimately offers nothing different than previous albums. As a result John Chancellor's playing is showcased more and I must say this is his strongest album he establishes a great mood and keeps a fine groove. Danny Carey delivers another stellar performance but we've come to expect nothing less from him.

The songs here range from complete Lateralus rip-off, with " Vicarious", to experimental, up-tempo rocker, "The Pot", with a whole bunch of brooding, dark, atmospheric metal in the middle. Some filler used to create atmosphere just as on Lateralus, and "Rosetta Stoned" goes on for a bit too long, but overall most of the songs are of a very good quality. I really wish I could give a 3.5 star rating for this one but ill have to go with 3 stars. Some good tracks but nothing ground breaking here.

Equality 7-2521 | 3/5 |