Queensr˙che - Operation : Mindcrime II CD (album) cover

OPERATION : MINDCRIME II

Queensr˙che

Jon_Mc
5 stars The original Operation: Mindcrime is one of the great pinnacles of the Progressive Metal genre. I bought a copy of this sequel CD with mixed emotions: excitement that Queensryche would return to their classic sound but apprehension in case the sequel somehow spoiled the good name of the original.

After a first listen this CD was slightly dissapointing but i remembered back to the first time I had listened to the brilliant original with a similar reaction. Let me tell you this CD grows on you in a similar vein to the original, after around 20 listens I have to say that this album is excellent.

1. Freiheit Ouverture: A sinister opening to the album, sets a dark, moody tone for what is to follow. (8/10)

2. Convict: Nikki is released from prison after 18 years

3. I'm American: A catchy song to kick start the album, a little structurally basic for my liking but good nonetheless. (7.5/10)

4. One Foot In Hell: The first gem of the album, brilliant dual riffing mixed with great vocals as we have come to expect from Geoff Tate (9.5/10)

5. Hostage: "Rusted now the scales you hold, the balance tipped by the weight of gold" A great progressive song with thought provoking lyrics (9/10)

6. The Hands: Possibly the standout track on the album. Dual shredding guitars with Tate's soaring vocals and beautiful backing strings make this a classic (10/10)

7. Speed Of Light: A more melodic, slower paced track with great progressive elements and a surprise appearance from Mary (8/10)

8. Signs Say Go: A stellar performance from Tate cant quite rescue this song from mediocrity compared with the rest of the album (7.5/10)

9. Re-arrange you: A fantastic track which starting with strings builds up in timbre, once again great vocals and duel guitar passages (9.5/10)

10. The Chase: A guest appearance from Ronny James Dio singing as Dr X provides incredible vocal harmonies with Tate, the song then moves into an enjoyable instrumenal section (9/10)

11. Murderer?: One of the albums biggest growers, after 20 or so listens i can safely say this is a fantastic song. Chaotic intro mixed with soaring vocals and beautiful melodies make for a great progressive-metal track (9.5/10)

12. Circles: A lovely interlude track with rich haunting melodies and emotive ambience (8/10)

13. If I Could Change It All: The albums first ballad, Nikki and Mary singing in tandom along with subtle musicianship from the rest of the band. The song then takes a twist into the choir sound associated with "Suite Sister Mary" (8.5/10)

14. An Intentional Confrontation: This track seems more like an operatic track than something from a metal band, fits in excellently with the rest of the album however. (8/10)

15. Junkie's Blues: After a period of soft melodic tracks we are treated to a merge between metal and melody with strong progressive elements (9/10)

16. Fear City slide: The heaviest track since Murderer is very enjoyable with a strong chorus and some nice transitions. (9/10)

17. All The Promises: The album finished with an excellent ballad full of depth and sunsual emotion. (9/10)

Overall: 91/100

The best listen I have had to this album was back to back with the original. For fans who think the original is far better, give this an honest try. O:M2 is an excellent compliment to O:M and gives the classic Queensryche album a good run for its money falling just short. Easily the best Queensryche album of the last decade.

Jon_Mc | 5/5 |