Steven Wilson - Get All You Deserve CD (album) cover

GET ALL YOU DESERVE

Steven Wilson

Argonaught
4 stars 'And then, as many a staunch Porcupine Tree fan was about to give up any hope for the next album, and amid much grumbling and discontent, lo and behold (or hark?) Steven Wilson and his travelling band miraculously created Luminol from the finest musical matter there was in our Universe'.

What a brilliant illustration of an old Bible school axiom: 'The Lord will not always grant your wishes, but He will surely give you what you need most'.

Being a great admirer of FOABP (and Nil Recurring, which are together on the 2xLP version), I found Storm Corrosion a waste of Wilson's and Åkerfeldt's precious creative time. I can't say I fully liked the original versions of Insurgentes and GFD, even thought I did notice that GFD was a notch above the previous one.

The "Get All You Deserve" is something else. For one thing, the GFD material has been substantially purified from what I call "fillers". Then, there is the most sumptuous musicianship, resulting from creative cross-pollination and growing, powerful mutual chemistry. Which reminds us that a good band is invariably more than a simple arithmetical sum of the members.

I have to specially commend Marco Minneman, but again, the guitarist and the flautist and Nick Beggs on the bass are tremendous world-class musicians without a doubt.

The new track Luminol, the way it was executed on the Get All You Deserve, outshines everything I know in modern music. Strictly speaking, it was King Crimson who pioneered this effortless morphing from intense fusion into a violin or mellotron solo into a brutal heavy metal rift into a wholesome ballad, but Luminol takes this art of shape-shifting to its pinnacle. There is such a wealth of musical material in Luminol alone (as there was in Anesthetize from FOABP) that a astute craftsman like Sir Paul McCartney could make half a dozen albums and a decade or two of comfortable living out of it.

The new rendering of No Twilight in the Courts of the Sun is also a uniquely valuable piece.

Even though I know that we may not be seeing the same lineup when the time comes for his next album, I have huge expectations for it - as long as it follows the current trend in which Wilson seems to be evolving. Less gloomy ambient and more upbeat fusion, please!

Argonaught | 4/5 |