Steven Wilson - Get All You Deserve CD (album) cover

Steven Wilson

3 stars Have to admit I am reviewing this based on the one viewing but I doubt I will be digging it out again for a while so I thought I would get my thoughts down while they are fresh.

So we have Steven Wilson and a band none of which come from Porcupine Tree. The only one I'm familiar with is Nick Beggs (Steve Hackett Band and ex of 80's pop group Kajagogoo). We know this is meant to be be taken deadly serious and he is wearing sensible dark clothes although the trademark blonde hair (wig?) is present.

For any not familiar with Steven's work (presumably been living in a cave somehwere) then its slow dark ambient with occasional up tempo jazzy peices. Its all about mood. I like the textures and atmospheres and its interesting to see a band recreate it. However I have to admit I fell asleep about 40 minutes in and found myself wondering when it would end. 2 hours is a lot of time to invest for this. Not thats it bad or anything like that , in fact its beautfully produced and filmed but not exactly a thrill ride. I'm glad I got the edition with the CD's because I think I will get more use out of those.

In summary if you like Steven Wilson you will buy it.

richardh | 3/5 |