Pendragon - The World CD (album) cover

2 stars Well, I hate to give bad reviews, but since this is the only Pendragon album I've listened to I thought I should put in my comments.

First, I can't think of many more boring albums that this one. The first track seemed somewhat promising, but lacked any real bite or power. And after that, it just gets mellower (more or less). I will give Kudos to the lead guitar work, even if it is a bit derivative of Rothery and Gilmour. The vocals are decent I'd say. But the songs themselves just bore me to sleep. The "epic" is disjointed, uneven, and really just too drawn out.

If I had to categorize this, I'd call it prog muzak. Something you might hear in an elevator or supermarket.........if prog were more popular to the general public (and, I will say, I would certainly prefer to hear this than what they actually do play in those places, but you get the idea). Obviously though, it fits firmly in the neo prog category, which I'm not crazy about in the first place. But I did give this a try, as I had read it was one of their better albums. But I just can't bring myself to give it more than 2 stars (really 1.5, but I'll be generous).

| 2/5 |